Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would like to ask a favor (mainly because I don't own a K-01):

Can one of the K-01 owners start a thread in the K-01 forum to list experiences with each lens they own? It would be extremely good to have a compilation of experiences to see which lenses work well, which lenses don't (AF, specifically). That way, not only would users be aware of what lenses work well and don't work well, feedback could be sent back to Pentax on specific lenses.

For example - the kit lens is a pretty universal lens. If it doesn't work well with the K-01, that's an issue. I don't mind so much if the FA*24-70 doesn't work so great with the K-01, as the majority of people don't own that lens, but the 18-55, the 55-300, the 18-135, and the 18-250s are what tends to be common "entry level" lenses.

03-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is a good idea. The issue with the 18-55mm burns my ass because the cam is actually available as a kit with it. I have never had focus problems with the 18-55. And I've owned every Pentax cam since the K10D except for the K100D and K200D.

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I would like to ask a favor (mainly because I don't own a K-01):

Can one of the K-01 owners start a thread in the K-01 forum to list experiences with each lens they own? It would be extremely good to have a compilation of experiences to see which lenses work well, which lenses don't (AF, specifically). That way, not only would users be aware of what lenses work well and don't work well, feedback could be sent back to Pentax on specific lenses.

For example - the kit lens is a pretty universal lens. If it doesn't work well with the K-01, that's an issue. I don't mind so much if the FA*24-70 doesn't work so great with the K-01, as the majority of people don't own that lens, but the 18-55, the 55-300, the 18-135, and the 18-250s are what tends to be common "entry level" lenses.
03-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #123
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jmg257 Quote
PDAF electronics (in a DSLR) include a separate AF module that needs a way for subject light to get to it. A sub-mirror in front of the image sensor helps take care of that by reflecting some light down into the AF module. The mirrors flip up out of the way in SLR LV, while there are none in a mirrorless camera...only AF sensors there are CDAF built into the image sensor.
With one exception. The Nikon 1 series has PDAF sensors on the image sensor. While this has its disadvantages (if I remember right, it sacrifices some image pixels to this, so has to map over them in firmware), it does give you the opportunity to have excellent tracking AF on a mirrorless.
03-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #124
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Early adopters like you and me always suffer from disappointments when we first use our new products. Part of the cause is expecation inflation (we imagine that it will be better than was ever real;ly claimed by the manufacturer) part of the Cause is manufacturer business practice (they use the early adopters as Beta testers; then they use the cash flow from early sales to correct identified issues to attract the early followers) and sometimes part of the cause is plain product design flaws.

The critical business exercise for amanufacturer is to properly weight the 3 issues and make add-on investments accordingly.
In light of post #96, this is actually ironically amusing.

03-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #125
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Some would say that Pentax has been guilty of this for years...
Hysterical
03-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #126
Pentaxian

If there is a change of systems , it would be rare if two systems performed exactly the same, or one performed better than the other in every instance.

QuoteQuote:
I performed the test in my tungsten-lit living room using the DA 18-55mm WR, DA 55-300mm and DA 35mm Macro. I used center-point AF on the K-01.
QuoteQuote:
I went to my doctor and said "it hurts when I do this." He said "Don't do that".
So my recommendation would be... don't do that.
03-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #127
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect there is a firmware fix in which Pentax can examine the behavior of each specific lens (to the extent it has specific identifying programming embedded in the lens) and code the CDAF module to improve focus lock. My bet is that is a brute force coding job and, lacking programmers due to Hoya personnel policy, they jsut haven't had time to get it done. Given Ricoh's open statements that they are hiring back engineers perhaps these focus lock issues will improve, at least for widely-owned lenses like the 18~55's and 17~70.

I must confess last night I was surprised at the behavior of the DA40Ltd in my home office (rather snarky reply above), even if it was not really something I would ever want to do with a camera. My wife's Optio A40 captured the image (with auto flash) that the DA40 wouldn't even lock. Since default on the K-01 is "do not fire" when AF is not locked I couldn't shoot at all. The flash kept popping up unexpectedly but wouldn't fire.

I'm not at all conerned about these behaviors. I'm certain my situation can be corrected with proper reading of the manual and proper settings on the camera. This might not really be a bridge camera for those new to dSLR's - it might be more of a unique form for experienced users. Somthing like the Olympus XA was.

I put aside time this weekend (assuming I finish my taxes) to mount virtually every lens I have and start to build a notebook of observations, strangths and limitations. Did the same with the K10D and now I can (compensate) manually meter all of them.

03-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #128
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pentax used to use the built-in flash as a supplemental light source in their older cams to aid AF. It might have been a crude solution but it worked great. The built-in LEDs on their newer cams don't seem to be as effective.

Last edited by krebsy75; 03-14-2012 at 08:24 AM.
03-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #129
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by mervis Quote
PS: Adam, doesn't focus-peaking as an alternative kind of absolve the problem? Does it also not work in low light?
Well sure, but taht means that you'll be giving up on AF and going manual. It's somewhat a pain with the 40mm xs lens as it doesn't have quick shift, and even once you manage to lock focus, you can't go back to AF mode because the camera won't be able to confirm it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #130
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Even with quick-shift MF isn't ideal with the 18-55mm. The focus throw is too short.

Because I knew in advance that AF wasn't an option with the 35mm macro, I put the cam in manual, enabled FP and focused manually. This was an acceptable solution to me since macro lenses are specialized and MF is kinda fun for that application. Nobody is gonna default to MF with the 18-55mm.

Adam, I saw in your review that you used the 18-135mm. How did the cam perform with this as compared to the 18-55mm?

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Well sure, but taht means that you'll be giving up on AF and going manual. It's somewhat a pain with the 40mm xs lens as it doesn't have quick shift, and even once you manage to lock focus, you can't go back to AF mode because the camera won't be able to confirm it.
03-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
Hello fellow beige-cat-owning nerd!

These were taken with the little kit 40mm XS lens in autofocus and although the light isn't particularly low, you'll note in both that there isn't much contrast between cat and surroundings.

However, my 18-55 zoom definitely couldn't handle the same situations in autofocus.
Beautiful cat! <3

I wonder how the K-01 would perform in a situation like this (my mother's Siamese watching the Super Bowl):

Last edited by luftfluss; 06-08-2016 at 08:24 AM.
03-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #132
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The K-01 is going back and is getting replaced with a K5 Silver for my wife (used Adam's referral link). No more playing games. And if she asks me again to clarify how how f/x corresponds to aperture sizes I'm gonna throw up!

Long live Pentax!
03-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #133
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My experiences so far with legacy and DA zoom lenses at the longer end (I just tried the F70~210) is mixed. Focus lock is strong, but the CDAF defocuses close to far looking for focus. Running a zoom lens through its entire focus throw takes about 1s, is noisy, wears the screwdrive motor, wears the lens and is just plain annoying. I'll learn how to pre-focus QuickShift lenses but I'm SOL with the F - which is a wonderful, sharp lens (not that I expected to use it on the K-01).

Observation #1: Don't plan on using legacy AF long lenses or zooms on the K-01. Use a dSLR instead.
Observation #2: Plan on using the K-01 with manual focus lenses for stationary subjects - for razor-sharp focus. This camera might be the MF SMCP lens shooter's dream rig.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-14-2012 at 01:54 PM.
03-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #134

QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
These were taken with the little kit 40mm XS lens in autofocus and although the light isn't particularly low, you'll note in both that there isn't much contrast between cat and surroundings.
ibkc, well done! The focus falls off beautifully. This lens is exceeding my expectations. Lovely kitty, as well.
03-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #135

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
This camera might be the MF SMCP lens shooter's drea(m) rig.
Thinking the same thing, mono. To further that idea the K-02 or -03 should be built along the lines of a mini-Mamiya 7 with a RF viewfinder in the top corner and a 24mp FF sensor. Then I think the doubters would 'get' the concept.

Last edited by mervis; 03-14-2012 at 02:05 PM.