Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2012, 02:32 AM   #1

Another nob question... this time about lenses!

So,
I have be heavily considering the K-01 as a place to start with Pentax. My question now is with the limited primes and is very speculative.

If Pentax ever does release a FF camera (I know there has been tons about it not happening) could I use the primes on it? What else can I use the primes on other than Pentax cameras?

Just trying to figure out the most value for my investment.

Thanks so much,
-pow

03-13-2012, 02:38 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA generally denotes that the lens is designed for APS-C sized sensors, so most DA lenses included the DA limiteds will not work on FF. The FA limited lenses were designed for film and will work on FF. Most pentax lenses can be adapted to any mirrorless mount and canon EF mount. Please note that adapted lenses of and mount to any camera are manual focus only and do not relay any digital information across the adapter.
03-13-2012, 02:57 AM   #3

Original Poster
So, since I have an m4/3 camera, I should be able to use the same lenses with adapter as long as it is in manual?

Off hand, I could use them with a Nex?
03-13-2012, 04:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by powP0Wpow Quote
So, since I have an m4/3 camera, I should be able to use the same lenses with adapter as long as it is in manual?

Adaptation is ruled by a system's register aka flange-focal distance. One advantage of short-register cameras is that they can fairly easily use longer-register lenses, with adapters.

Numbers tell the story; relevant distances are: Pentax, 45.56mm; Samsung NX, 25.5mm; m4/3, 20mm; Sony NEX, 18mm. FF or HF (half-frame, about the size of APS-C) lenses for Nikon (46.5mm), Olympus OM (46mm), Contax-Yashica (45.5mm), Pentax, Minolta-Sony Alpha (44.5mm), Minolta MC/MD (43.7mm), Konica (40.5mm), Leica R (47mm) and LTM (28.8mm) and M (27.8mm) will all adapt to NX or NEX or m4/3 or other short mounts. (AFAIK Canon EOS and FD lenses are harder to adapt because of the mount design.)

So yes, Pentax lenses can be and are used on m4/3 and NEX bodies. You might have a problem trying to use m4/3 QF (quarter-frame, about half the size of APS-C) lenses on the APS-C NEX bodies -- they'll vignette, same as using DA lenses on FF cameras.

03-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh, Id just like to ask about DA lenses.. when people say "will not work on FF" do they mean "will have really bad edges with possible total falloff" or just will not work at all in any way ever? Also, is it possible that the FF camera, if Pentax releases it, has a crop mode so you could usa DA lenses at their fullest, but without the black circle around it?
03-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Oh, Id just like to ask about DA lenses.. when people say "will not work on FF" do they mean "will have really bad edges with possible total falloff" or just will not work at all in any way ever?
DA lens designed for an APS-C-size half-frame will vignette on a FF body, just as lenses designed for a quarter-frame m4/3 camera will vignette on an APS-C body. Not all DA lenses will vignette badly, but some will. Some DAs don't vignette, and we suspect they may be re-designated as DFAs if/when a Pentax FF appears.

But yes, all DA lenses will mount on existing FF (film) bodies, and will 'work' to some extent -- although my DA10-17 isn't my first choice for use on my K1000.

QuoteQuote:
Also, is it possible that the FF camera, if Pentax releases it, has a crop mode so you could usa DA lenses at their fullest, but without the black circle around it?
Yup, that could happen.
03-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To be honest, no one can answer that since we won't know until pentax decides to release a FF camera
03-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
Forum Member

The FX sensor may never happen with the small market share and demand. I imagine with Pentax R&D budgets, the lead engineers fear getting in the middle of a FX based project and chip technology advances again thereby wasting all that time and money.
However that indicates that any Pentax lens is a great investment because of it's key to IQ and the future certainly won't be larger chips.

03-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by powP0Wpow Quote

Note that for DA lenses, you will need special adapters that allow you to control the lens aperture in camera. Otherwise the lenses will only be usable wide open. DA lenses don't have aperture rings - aperture is controlled electronically. So the plain mechanical adapters will only work with lenses up to and including FA series.
03-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
Banned

Lenses like my 10-24mm Tamron need an adapter with aperture control on my GH2 and GH1 so the K-01 has the advantage along with SR.