Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Battery life?

Just read through the review (well done!) and would like to get some type of approximation of battery usage. Given that the LCD is pretty much on all of the time, what are people getting on a charge? I realize that it's difficult to make a strict statement relating charge to number of RAW or JPEG's because that doesn't account for the amount of time that the LCD is on, prior to taking a shot. The review says that battery time is disappointing.

03-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
The review says that battery time is disappointing.
Well the K-5 gets twice the shots out of this battery and maybe that is why it is disapointing. But compairing to other mirrorless camera's the battery inside the K-01 has plenty of energy.
03-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #3

I think if you dim the LCD or simply just turn it off when you don't take pictures(via "info" button?)
and set the SR to engage just when you start taking pictures, it should last longer.
Yet, sorry didn't directly reply on your question.
03-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I compose mostly by the rear display on my m4/3 bodies and they last in the 300 shot range. My K-01 doesn't arrive until tomorrow, but I anticipated it would have similar battery life, so I ordered the Wasabi batteries:

Amazon.com: Wasabi Power Battery and Charger Kit for Pentax D-LI90, K-5, K-7, 645D: Camera & Photo

I had great luck with these on my Ricoh and Olympus bodies and hope they will work equally well on the K-01.

03-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It does drain a bit too quickly for my liking, but then again, I always have the grip on my K-5, meaning that I pretty much never worry about power.

You can expect a whole day's shooting from the K-01 easily, but it might struggle to do more than that The manual says 500 shots, but you can't really measure that given how much more power the camera uses when standing by compared to DSLRs.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
Inactive Account

It also depends if the battery has time to regenerate - if I pause for several minutes between shots, most DSLR allow me to take ~1000 pictures.
But if I shoot continuously (e.g. to capture startrails) most batteries are empty after ~200 shots or less - even if I don't use LV.
03-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by krugorg Quote
I compose mostly by the rear display on my m4/3 bodies and they last in the 300 shot range. My K-01 doesn't arrive until tomorrow, but I anticipated it would have similar battery life, so I ordered the Wasabi batteries:

Amazon.com: Wasabi Power Battery and Charger Kit for Pentax D-LI90, K-5, K-7, 645D: Camera & Photo

I had great luck with these on my Ricoh and Olympus bodies and hope they will work equally well on the K-01.
Are these the once with a larger charge then the originals? That would come in handy I guess.
03-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Are these the once with a larger charge then the originals? That would come in handy I guess.
Yes, they are rated for 2300mAh versus 1860mAh for the Pentax originals. I have never done a test, but they seem to run as long as my originals for Ricoh and Oly. I think these are above average quality for 3rd party batteries.

03-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
Forum Member

Battery life is not annoying and I always carry extra or 2, as with Flash sticks , just in case.

I use Lenmar No Memory Lithium-Ion Digital Camera Battery for Pentax D-LI90, 7.2v 1730 mAh from Adorama.
03-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

My K-01 took about 800 shots including around 200 shots for high speed continuoue shots plus a few short videos (mostly because I accidentally pressed on the record button) on one battery, but that's an old battery from K5, probably already seasoned after 1 year plus usage. I think the battery life is pretty decent.
03-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
My K-01 took about 800 shots including around 200 shots for high speed continuoue shots plus a few short videos (mostly because I accidentally pressed on the record button) on one battery, but that's an old battery from K5, probably already seasoned after 1 year plus usage. I think the battery life is pretty decent.
Well the type of use does make a huge difference. With my K-5 I can make over 2.000 shots on one battery, with everything off that consumes energy and in Hi-speed modus. I guess that will be the same with K-01: saving energy wll make the battery last longer.
03-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Well the type of use does make a huge difference. With my K-5 I can make over 2.000 shots on one battery, with everything off that consumes energy and in Hi-speed modus. I guess that will be the same with K-01: saving energy wll make the battery last longer.
Yes, I disable all the sound effect (but can't stop the shutter from making some noise), didn't use flash except a couple of testing shots. The screen will become dimmer after 30sec w/o use, camera goes to sleep after 1min not in use. But I did have some long time shots (up to 10 sec I think), and a lot play w/ the menu settings. Or btw, I took those 800 plus shots over one week span, all in RAW.
03-15-2012, 01:22 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Yes, I disable all the sound effect (but can't stop the shutter from making some noise), didn't use flash except a couple of testing shots. The screen will become dimmer after 30sec w/o use, camera goes to sleep after 1min not in use. But I did have some long time shots (up to 10 sec I think), and a lot play w/ the menu settings. Or btw, I took those 800 plus shots over one week span, all in RAW.
Can you turn off instand review in the K-01? I have it off in my K-5, since there is no sense in having that popping up every time. I only check that a few times in the beginning of a shoot and trust my own settings. That would save energy and maybe even make the camera a little more snappier since it goes directly back to liveview.
03-15-2012, 02:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Can you turn off instand review in the K-01? I have it off in my K-5, since there is no sense in having that popping up every time. I only check that a few times in the beginning of a shoot and trust my own settings. That would save energy and maybe even make the camera a little more snappier since it goes directly back to liveview.
Yes, can. But normally I keep 1s review. Same as my K5 and G3
03-15-2012, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Yes, can. But normally I keep 1s review. Same as my K5 and G3
Nice. Is there also a saving energy way with the backscreen? I asked Ned and he confirmed my assumption that the O-VF1 (from Q) matches nicely with FA 31mm/f1.8 and with that you have a nice combo where you don't need the use of the backscreens liveview output.