Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Be VERY Careful looking for K-01 bargains

Out of curiosity I did a Google Shopping Search for the K-01.

The prices were tight in the US at nearly MSRP except for one site - Henrry's Digitals (note the 2 r's) which had the body at $538 and the Yellow with 40XS at $646!

A further look found some interesting comments at DPReview. Essentially they have a UK address but are registered in Lithuania. Also, they only do business via Wire Transfer. This one sounds too good to be true and probably is, so Caveat Emptor!

03-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Store Ratings & Reviews - ResellerRatings.com - Find Trusted Stores

I've always used this place for reviews.
03-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Stick with authorized dealers. Peace-of-mind is always worth a few dollars in my book. Especially with a new product like this.
03-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I too tried to look them up and found nothing other than a few camera forum warnings. They are not listed on ReSellerRatings at all.

03-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
I haven't seen it with this particular camera; or any in the Pentax line, but... In the past I've done a lot of traveling overseas and could not help but notice the price difference. But also noted that a lot of the camera outfits that were supposed to be sold as packages were in fact divided up; for instance... <<strictly as a type of example>> If one were to buy the K-01 with the 40mm pancake at an authorized retailer (or of say New York City); which would also include items such as the battery, charger, software, etc...

I'll bet that someone outside of the authorized retailers have already divided up items such as this. You could make $150 off the lens alone.

Plus also noting when either traveling overseas of option to purchasing something there... Might have some major issues with the power supplies
03-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The biggest isue is warranty support. Do you really want to chance not having a warranty on a product in which there is no track record? It's not worth it.
03-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
The biggest isue is warranty support. Do you really want to chance not having a warranty on a product in which there is no track record? It's not worth it.
That's a possible issue but not the biggest. The biggest is just not getting anything from the seller and being out your money - there is not protection for Wire Transfers to a foreign county.

03-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

They are probably trying to play on Henrys cameras reputation. it's the largest camera chain in Canada. spoofing that way is a common fishing technique, pay by credit and it will be maxed out in no time. pay by wire transfer and kiss the money goodby