Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2012, 09:08 PM   #16
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,921
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dickymastelero Quote
Just started testing a variaty of Pentax DA Primes on my K-01. Tested a DA*50-135mm 2.8, 35mm F2.4. 14mm F2.8 and also FA 50mm 1.4. Lenses exhibit excellent results both in raw and jpeg modes. Autofocus seems to be slow in most tele-lens (also tested it with a Tamron 70-200mm F2.8) but still resoanable - common for cameras when you focus on live view. I did some adjustments on the menu and it seems to speed up its focus ability, I went to customize the AF/ AE-L Button and change its setting to ENABLE AF2 and set AE-L with AF locked to "on" (C Custom Setting 1). This changes made a difference on my lenses, its seems that the contrast shows right away as the camera sets its exposure values and makes AF locks easier - the AF focus relies primarily with contrast in this K-01. Hopefully you guys can give this suggestion a shot and hope you can also post your replies and results. Thanks.
Thanks for your inputs.

Can I summarize your results to the following:
35mm F2.4 - Good, well lit condition
14mm F2.8 - Good, well lit condition
FA 50mm 1.4 - Good, well lit condition
DA*50-135mm 2.8 - Slow (but reasonable for CDAF), well lit condition
Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 - Slow (but reasonable for CDAF), well lit condition

I'll update this to post#1 if you are ok with it.
Thx again

03-31-2012, 10:10 PM   #17
New Member
dickymastelero's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta CANADA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 16
QuoteOriginally posted by dickymastelero Quote
Just started testing a variaty of Pentax DA Primes on my K-01. Tested a DA*50-135mm 2.8, 35mm F2.4. 14mm F2.8 and also FA 50mm 1.4. Lenses exhibit excellent results both in raw and jpeg modes. Autofocus seems to be slow in most tele-lens (also tested it with a Tamron 70-200mm F2.8) but still resoanable - common for cameras when you focus on live view. I did some adjustments on the menu and it seems to speed up its focus ability, I went to customize the AF/ AE-L Button and change its setting to ENABLE AF2 and set AE-L with AF locked to "on" (C Custom Setting 1). This changes made a difference on my lenses, its seems that the contrast shows right away as the camera sets its exposure values and makes AF locks easier - the AF focus relies primarily with contrast in this K-01. Hopefully you guys can give this suggestion a shot and hope you can also post your replies and results. Thanks.
Results for Lenses Tested on my K-01

35mm F2.4 - Good, reasonably fast cycle, Decent lighting condition
14mm F2.8 - Good, reasonably fast cycle,
FA 50mm 1.4 - Good, reasonably fast cycle, Decent lighting condition
DA*50-135mm 2.8 - Slow (but reasonable for CDAF), well lit condition
Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 - Slow (but reasonable for CDAF), well lit condition

Observations are done according the parameters I posted on my thread - I went to customize the AF/ AE-L Button and change its setting to ENABLE AF2 and set AE-L with AF locked to "on" (C Custom Setting 1).

For the DA* 55-135mm 2.8 you can get fast AF results if you made made adjustments to your Quickshift AF ring first before locking the AF. For the Tamron 70-200mm you can also make manual adjustment with the lens first but it takes a lot of hassle to move the dials to manual focus first.

I've used most of my lens either Genuine or aftermarket prime lens on my K-5 and I always check their accuracy using Lenscal Calibration Tool, for anybody who have done this we know that this is a big disadvantage for K-01 not to be able to calibrate lenses manually. Almost all my DA prime lenses calibrates bang-on with my K-5 except for Sigma's and Tamron's.

K-01 is built under the platform of K-5 and assume that it's firmware primarily recognizes data from genuine pentax lenses rather than the aftermarkets. The K-01 is not meant to be as advanced as like the K-5, its more as lined up with the K-x but mirrorless and I really don't expect much on it but for the purpose on just to be able to use my prime pentax lens on one of the best mirrorless reviewed recently makes me a proud owner of this camera.

My advise is use your best pentax lens with it and enjoy the quality of image it produces. Cheers.
04-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #18
Forum Member
WWWench's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Palm Springs, CA
Posts: 66
QuoteOriginally posted by dickymastelero Quote
Results for Lenses Tested on my K-01


For the DA* 55-135mm 2.8 you can get fast AF results if you made made adjustments to your Quickshift AF ring first before locking the AF. For the Tamron 70-200mm you can also make manual adjustment with the lens first but it takes a lot of hassle to move the dials to manual focus first.


My advise is use your best pentax lens with it and enjoy the quality of image it produces. Cheers.

Not to be contrary, but are you serious about switching from M to AF mid image capture ??


After several weeks with the K-01, I find myself in manual and peaking 90% of the time since it is very accurate and fast. This is not my focus method with K5 or Kr because those cameras don't show me as clearly the focus point.

I use the DA and A lens family and enjoy the wrist exercise focusing.
The only lens I slow down is my 50 f/1.4 as it demands a careful focus wide open.
04-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,434
QuoteOriginally posted by WWWench Quote

Not to be contrary, but are you serious about switching from M to AF mid image capture ??


After several weeks with the K-01, I find myself in manual and peaking 90% of the time since it is very accurate and fast. This is not my focus method with K5 or Kr because those cameras don't show me as clearly the focus point.

I use the DA and A lens family and enjoy the wrist exercise focusing.
The only lens I slow down is my 50 f/1.4 as it demands a careful focus wide open.
I'm using AutoZoom 6x and learning to carefully select my focus point before I half press - because I won't be able to compose again. Spinning the eDial back to full image without letting go of the half press is a challenge (because the auto focus will refocus if I do).

There are just so damned many little trix to learn - compunded by everything being different with manual focus lenses.

Not that I'm complaining or anything.

04-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #20
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 51
QuoteOriginally posted by WWWench Quote

Not to be contrary, but are you serious about switching from M to AF mid image capture ??


After several weeks with the K-01, I find myself in manual and peaking 90% of the time since it is very accurate and fast. This is not my focus method with K5 or Kr because those cameras don't show me as clearly the focus point.

I use the DA and A lens family and enjoy the wrist exercise focusing.
The only lens I slow down is my 50 f/1.4 as it demands a careful focus wide open.
I am very happy of these statements, i'm thinking of buyinng the k-01 just for use it with manual lenses.
Only a question, the focus peaking in low light works well?
04-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #21
New Member
dickymastelero's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta CANADA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 16
The DA 50-135mm 2.8 has a Quickshift AF built in to the lens if you have one of this lens you don't have to turn your switch to manual to turn the ring, you can use this to bring your lens to as close to focus first so to keep it from not cycling to slow when you lock your AF with the shutter button. For the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 - again if you have on of this lens it could be annnoying to do a manual focus on this one so I decided to really not to use this lens with my K-01 and stay with my Pentax lenses with Quckshifts which really helps. No complains with my K-01 as far as using my prime Pentax lenses.
04-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #22
Senior Member
mervis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 108
Most of the time I use single point AF - half-press on the subject or the desired focus plane (i.e. a crack in the sidewalk in anticipation of someone walking towards it), then recompose and shoot (or in the latter case, recompose, WAIT and shoot). Definitely not perfect, but the failings are mine, not the camera's.

I mainly use 3 primes (21mm, 40mm, 70mm) - so far no speed issues. Occasionally, the camera gets stymied by a blank wall or distant sky, but no more than other CDAF cameras I've owned. Then I aim at a point of contrast or the horizon to get focus. With my 200mm MF, it's focus peaking all the way (which has a bit of a learning curve, I've found).

I generally recompose EVERY shot, then check the screen (I'm an unapologetic chimper) and keep trying until I get it right or right enough (or I bail and move on). Slow and methodical. I also use single-point AE when I'm in manual exposure mode (usually my focus point and desired exposure point are the same). I hit the green button, open up 2/3 of a stop, lock focus, recompose and shoot.

Oops, I just gave away my secrets...

Use wisely.
04-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #23
Forum Member
WWWench's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Palm Springs, CA
Posts: 66
One habit I find handy is setting my distance to about 2.5 m when I stow the K-01 back in my belt case. Then when I grab it, I know where I am with a quick CW or CCW twist to the focus point my eye has in the composition.
It just seems the A lens are perfect for the K-01 for speed, accuracy and minimal hassle. With an A the green button is out of the loop.

04-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #24
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,921
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dickymastelero Quote
Results for Lenses Tested on my K-01

35mm F2.4 - Good, reasonably fast cycle, Decent lighting condition
14mm F2.8 - Good, reasonably fast cycle,
FA 50mm 1.4 - Good, reasonably fast cycle, Decent lighting condition
DA*50-135mm 2.8 - Slow (but reasonable for CDAF), well lit condition
Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 - Slow (but reasonable for CDAF), well lit condition

Observations are done according the parameters I posted on my thread - I went to customize the AF/ AE-L Button and change its setting to ENABLE AF2 and set AE-L with AF locked to "on" (C Custom Setting 1).

For the DA* 55-135mm 2.8 you can get fast AF results if you made made adjustments to your Quickshift AF ring first before locking the AF. For the Tamron 70-200mm you can also make manual adjustment with the lens first but it takes a lot of hassle to move the dials to manual focus first.

I've used most of my lens either Genuine or aftermarket prime lens on my K-5 and I always check their accuracy using Lenscal Calibration Tool, for anybody who have done this we know that this is a big disadvantage for K-01 not to be able to calibrate lenses manually. Almost all my DA prime lenses calibrates bang-on with my K-5 except for Sigma's and Tamron's.

K-01 is built under the platform of K-5 and assume that it's firmware primarily recognizes data from genuine pentax lenses rather than the aftermarkets. The K-01 is not meant to be as advanced as like the K-5, its more as lined up with the K-x but mirrorless and I really don't expect much on it but for the purpose on just to be able to use my prime pentax lens on one of the best mirrorless reviewed recently makes me a proud owner of this camera.

My advise is use your best pentax lens with it and enjoy the quality of image it produces. Cheers.

Thanks again. I've updated the 1st post with your inputs.
04-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #25
JPT
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,252
Just got my K-01 this weekend and have tried out the following AF lenses on it. In my case "well lit" means outside on a slightly overcast day. "low light" means indoors under a moderate fluorescent light (causes the green AF assist light to come on).

DA 18-55 II - good in well lit conditions, reasonable in low light, distinctly worse at the long end
FA 24-90 - good in well lit conditions, reasonable in low light, this one is quite good at the long end, probably because it is still f4.5 at 90mm.
FA 100-300 (f4.7-5.8 non-powerzoom) - bad even in good light, long focus throw, can take a few seconds if it decides to go the wrong way
FA 35 - good in all conditions
F 35-70 - good in well lit conditions, reasonable in low light, a bit worse at the long end

Another thing I noticed is that the quick shift function on the DA 18-55 is really useful for fine tuning the focus in combination with focus peaking. It's a shame Pentax has decided to include kit lenses with this function removed.

Very useful thread, by the way.
04-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #26
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,921
Original Poster
Thanks again for the contributions.
Very valuable tips too.
Keep them coming.


I roped in the guys on the local forum (Clubsnap) and added their inputs to the list.
04-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #27
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 55
Thanks for the info! I was wondering if anyone can comment on CDAF accuracy. Specifically, do you have lenses that required AF adjustments on a DSLR body that focus accurately (without BF, FF) with a K-01?
04-03-2012, 07:17 AM   #28
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,921
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Just got my K-01 this weekend and have tried out the following AF lenses on it. In my case "well lit" means outside on a slightly overcast day. "low light" means indoors under a moderate fluorescent light (causes the green AF assist light to come on).

DA 18-55 II - good in well lit conditions, reasonable in low light, distinctly worse at the long end
FA 24-90 - good in well lit conditions, reasonable in low light, this one is quite good at the long end, probably because it is still f4.5 at 90mm.
FA 100-300 (f4.7-5.8 non-powerzoom) - bad even in good light, long focus throw, can take a few seconds if it decides to go the wrong way
FA 35 - good in all conditions
F 35-70 - good in well lit conditions, reasonable in low light, a bit worse at the long end

Another thing I noticed is that the quick shift function on the DA 18-55 is really useful for fine tuning the focus in combination with focus peaking. It's a shame Pentax has decided to include kit lenses with this function removed.

Very useful thread, by the way.

Great! Thanks for this.
Updated Post#1
04-03-2012, 07:20 AM   #29
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,921
Original Poster
Post from Ranchy on Clubsnap.
I'd be doing him an injustice for all his work verifying the results and not posting it here.
so here goes :

I just did some tests with the lens i have to confirm on the lenses on k-01 AF speed.

All are taken at room light. therefore, lighting conditions conditions should be dim? I also off the AF assist light unless stated.

DA 18-55 WR:
18mm (f3.5) - Reasonable.
24mm (f4.0) - Reasonable.
35mm (f4.5) - Reasonable but start to to lose focusing ability. Hunts abit.
45mm (f4.5) - Start to slow and hunts to focus.
55mm (f5.6) - Slow. Focus poorly. AF assist is on to assist focus but still struggle. (Could be detecting contrast issues)

DA 50-200 WR:
50mm (f3.5) - Reasonable
80mm (f4.5) - Reasonable
135mm (f4.5) - Reasonable but start to slow.
200mm (f5.6) - Slow. Need AF assist to focus.

DA 10-17mm fisheye:
10mm (f3.5) - Reasonable
12mm (f4.0) - Reasonable
14mm (f4.0) - Reasonable
17mm (f4.5) - Reasonable but focusing ability become weak.

DFA100WR: Slow but reasonable as it is a macro lens. Long Throw but can overcome with Quick Shift.

I felt K-01 works very well with DA limited lens and the retest confirm my observation.

DA15mm: Reasonable to fast.
DA21mm: Reasonable to fast.
DA40mm: Fastest of the lens I have in the test.

FA24mm f2 - Fast but it seem dangerous for the lens on the K01. The throw towards both end, it like hitting hard with a sound that i worry it would spoil my lens.
FA31mm: Reasonable.
FA85mm: Reasonable but slower than K5.
FA200mm: Reasonable to slow. Found that it's not the slowest when you compare to the far end of the 18-55mm and the 50-200mm. I guess the difference in F-Stop does make a difference to the lens focus ability.


Randy, thanks for the list if you see this.
04-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,434
Do you want multiple tests of the same lenses you already have (for confirmation) or only lenses you haven't seen yet?

I have:
F35~70
F70~210
FA35/2
FA50/1.4
DA40/2.8 Ltd (you have lots of those and I agree with reports)
DA55~300
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, conditions, k-01, k01, list, mirrorless, pentax k-01
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Shutter speed and aperture in contest post Wolfie665 Site Suggestions and Help 4 01-11-2012 04:53 PM
Shutter speed with manual lens derekkite Pentax K-5 7 09-25-2011 05:40 PM
In-camera lens correction speed of K5 over K7 LowVoltage Pentax K-5 5 02-10-2011 03:48 PM
Macro lens AF speed/noise...? photochimp Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 14 01-31-2011 07:26 AM
AF speed: Lens or body? ismaelg Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 03-27-2010 03:30 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:55 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top