Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-04-2012, 01:13 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Do you want multiple tests of the same lenses you already have (for confirmation) or only lenses you haven't seen yet?

I have:
F35~70
F70~210
FA35/2
FA50/1.4
DA40/2.8 Ltd (you have lots of those and I agree with reports)
DA55~300

I think there is enough 2nd, 3rd inputs on most of the lenses in the list.
So if you could info on
F35~70
F70~210
FA35/2

would be nice.

Thx in advance.

04-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #32

K-01 and Da 15mm tested at Vancouver Auto Show

I got a chance to test the K-01 and the DA 15mm at the Vancouver Auto Show yesterday. All shots focused fast except one or two car interior shots where there was not enough light and had to turn on the AF light.

I had the Sigma 30 and the DA40 with me but found them both to tight a field of view for the conditions so I have no real world info on them yet.

The Da 15mm combination with the K-01 is a nice one for this type of shoot and lets you get up close but still get the whole car in the image. Lighting was varied with harsh spots, halogen and mixed lighting yet the lens focused well on 84 of 94 shots. The OOF shots seemed to depend on the colors and reflections off the cars. Pale green and orange were the problem colors. Red and Orange under some lighting seemed to throw off the AWB. Tried other settings but they would fail with other colors so stuck to AWB and it did quite well compared to my friends Nikon 3100.

It is nice to use this combo as I did not have to take off my glasses and put them back on after every shot to see if I got the photo I wanted.
04-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens tests with K-01

Tested as you specified using M Mode. Exposures were made +/- 1/3 EV to 0 w/in your ranges.
A = Bright Outdoor Light - Landscape and architecture
B = Natural Bright Indoor Light (South Facing white walls)
C = Natural Dim Indoor light (North facing, colored walls)

F35~70: 35 - 70 (Very nice copy in near-mint condition) Very impressed with the auto focus capabilities of this combination. This lens will likely permanently stay with the K-01 bag.
A = Good - Good (Very fast for this lens)
B = Good - Good (Very fast for this lens)
C = Reasonable - Reasonable, but needed strong contrast; missed altogether a few times

F70~210: 70 - 210 (Very nice copy in near-mint condition) In all instances noticeably slower than the 35~70, which was stellar. I will prefer this over the DA55~300 with the K-01, though it is heavy and more challenging to hold. Occasionally cycled the full focus throw, but not often. The dimmer the light the more likely it was to hunt.
A = Good - Good (fast in god late afternoon warm light, surprisingly)
B = Good - Reasonable
C = Reasonable - Poor (not a likely use of the lens). Cycled and missed often.

FA35/2 Original-owner copy; my general use lens, but in excellent condition. General impression the brighter the better, but very fast and locked very hard. Never cycled the full throw, which the 70-210 did. Not quite as fast as the 35~70, which surprised me a bit.
A = Good
B = Good
C = Reasonable to Good depending on contrast

Last edited by monochrome; 04-06-2012 at 08:07 PM.
04-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Tested as you specified using M Mode. Exposures were made +/- 1/3 EV to 0 w/in your ranges.
A = Bright Outdoor Light - Landscape and architecture
B = Natural Bright Indoor Light (South Facing white walls)
C = Natural Dim Indoor light (North facing, colored walls)

F35~70: 35 - 70 (Very nice copy in near-mint condition) Very impressed with the auto focus capabilities of this combination. This lens will likely permanently stay with the K-01 bag.
A = Good - Good (Very fast for this lens)
B = Good - Good (Very fast for this lens)
C = Reasonable - Reasonable, but needed strong contrast; missed altogether a few times

F70~210: 70 - 210 (Very nice copy in near-mint condition) In all instances noticeably slower than the 35~70, which was stellar. I will prefer this over the DA55~300 with the K-01, though it is heavy and more challenging to hold. Occasionally cycled the full focus throw, but not often. The dimmer the light the more likely it was to hunt.
A = Good - Good (fast in god late afternoon warm light, surprisingly)
B = Good - Reasonable
C = Reasonable - Poor (not a likely use of the lens). Cycled and missed often.

FA35/2 Original-owner copy; my general use lens, but in excellent condition. General impression the brighter the better, but very fast and locked very hard. Never cycled the full throw, which the 70-210 did. Not quite as fast as the 35~70, which surprised me a bit.
A = Good
B = Good
C = Reasonable to Good depending on contrast
Monochrome, thanks for your contributions.
Updated post#1 with your inputs.

04-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Helpful comparison video here.
04-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #36
Banned

Photos: Albums
Just a bit of a suggestion... If one happens to have an above average memory - if time permits and all...

If you happen to run into a situation where the camera will not lock on focus - which will in fact not allow the K-01 to take a pic without switching over to manual focusing... If you happen to notice the metering settings could a note be made of those settings and then posted. I'm working on the same issue myself and will be posting full results soon. But I've found that - beyond the close focus capabilites of each individual lens - so far I'm really not running into it much.

Sure the K-01 is not as fast as a p&s with a built in lens and all...
05-21-2012, 05:41 AM   #37
JPT
Pentaxian

Just wanted to bring this very useful thread to the top again. There must be a few more owners now who could share their experiences. I'd be particularly interested to see if anyone has tries the FA28-70 f4. I've grown a bit frustrated with the DA18-55 (version 2). I took it on vacation to America and regretted it. So, I'm now looking for another lightweight zoom and wondered if having a constant aperture would help.

By the way, I tried an FA50 f1.7 in a shop and that focused very fast. I was on the point of buying it, when I remembered that the DA50 f1.8 is coming out and I'd probably regret it.

06-29-2012, 06:33 AM   #38
Banned

Simply to say: The faster your lens is, the more light reaches the sensor the faster the AF is.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 07-27-2012 at 06:54 AM.
07-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Guys,
I just read a review of the K-01 in a local mag. Quite positive but he really was down on the focus, AF and MF.
I emailed him asking if he did find the peaking useful.
He replied
" : the Manual focusing and focus-peaking. The issue is that when you view the LCD, the camera only lets you view with a narrow aperture, even if you have a wide aperture set. The narrow aperture means that everything looks in focus. But when you press the shutter, the camera takes the photo with the preset wider aperture, which means the focus point could end up anywhere. Focus-peaking doesn't change that, as it is based on the contrast of the picture at the narrow aperture setting. The Pentax isn't the only camera to do this. The Fujifilm X series including my fave, the X100 does it as well. The Leica X1 used to, but they fixed it in a firmware update.

Not having the camera, I wonder if anyone would like to comment on his view ?
Thanks
Pete
07-30-2012, 03:38 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I'm thinking about to buy DA 35 f2.4, Who can tell me how fast is this lens? Tnx
07-30-2012, 06:34 AM   #41
JPT
Pentaxian

towa - The DA 35 f2.4 should be pretty fast. I think there was a report on it earlier in this thread. I have the FA 35mm f2, which is known to be the same optical design, and that focuses faster than any other lens I have tried.
07-30-2012, 06:58 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
towa - The DA 35 f2.4 should be pretty fast. I think there was a report on it earlier in this thread. I have the FA 35mm f2, which is known to be the same optical design, and that focuses faster than any other lens I have tried.
Tnx 4 response will see it