Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2012, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Post your K-01 Lens AF speed here

I think it will be beneficial to have a list of AF speeds experienced with the multitude of Pentax AF lenses out there.

So pls help to contribute your experiences.
I'd suggest the following format and I'll try to update the list on Pg1 and 2 of this thread.

A - AF in Bright conditions (eg. ISO100; >=1/100; f4-f16)
B - AF in reasonably bright conditions (eg. ISO100-800; >=1/50; f2.8-4)
C - AF in dim lighting (eg. ISO3200-6400; =<1/50; =<f2.8)

Possible results = Good / Reasonable / Bad
where
Good = focuses within =< 0.5s
Reasonable = focuses within =< 1s or able to focus where any other DSLR/MILc would have struggled similarly (state compared to camera)
Bad = Focus with >2s or Fails to focus or much slower compared to another DSLR/MILC (state compared to camera)

Lens / A / B / C / Compared to / Remarks

Eg.
18-55 (from 18-50mm) / Good / Good / Bad / Kx PDAF / No remarks
18-55 (from 50-55mm) / Bad / Bad / Bad / Kx PDAF / No remarks

Update :
=========
Credits to JinDesu, dickymastelero, JPT, monochrome on PF for their contributions

Credits to ranchy, chiangkxv on CS for their contributions

DA lenses
----------------

DA 18-55 WR - Reasonable before 45mm; slow from 45-55mm, all conditions
DAL 18-55 - Good, all conditions (need more inputs as result is different from WR version)
DA 18-135 Good, well lit
DA 16-45 Reasonable, well lit
DA 50-200 WR - Reasonable from 20-135mm, Reasonable but hunts a bit at 135mm; Slow at 200mm and need AF light, dim lit room
DA 55-300 - Reasonable on short end/ poor on long end, poor cycling, well lit
DA 10-17mm fisheye - Reasonable from 10-14mm; Focus ability weak at 17mm; dim lit room

DA14mm F2.8 - Good, reasonably fast cycle, Decent lighting condition
DA35mm F2.4 - Good, reasonably fast cycle, Decent lighting condition
DA 40XS f2.8 - Reasonable, all conditions
DFA 100WR - Slow but reasonable, can be overcome Quickshift, with all conditions

DA*50-135mm 2.8 - Slow (but reasonable for CDAF), well lit condition
DA*300 F4 - Reasonable, cycle time is slow, lighting condition (unknown- assume good)
DA*200 F2.8 - Good, cycle time is fast, lighting condition (unknown- assume good)
DA*16-50 F2.8 - Good, cycle time is fast, lighting condition (unknown- assume good)

DA 15ltd - Reasonable, all conditions
DA 21ltd - Reasonable, all conditions
DA 40ltd - Reasonable, all conditions
DA 70ltd - Reasonable, all conditions

FA lenses
---------------

F 35~70 - Good on all FL in bright out/indoor consitions, Reasonable in natural dim indoor lighting
F70~210 - Good on all FL in bright out/indoor consitions, 70-180mm Reasonable in natural dim indoor lighting, 210mm Poor in natural dim indoor lighting
FA 24-90 - Good in well lit conditions, reasonable in low light, this one is quite good at the long end
FA 100-300 (f4.7-5.8 non-powerzoom) - bad even in good light, long focus throw, can take a few seconds if it decides to go the wrong way
FA35 f2 - good, all conditions
F 35-70 - good in well lit conditions, reasonable in low light, a bit worse at the long end

FA 50mm 1.4 - Good, reasonably fast cycle, Decent lighting condition

FA*24mm f2 - Fast, hitting hard sound when lens focuses to the extreme end (need 2nd/3rd confirmation)
FA*85mm f1.4 - Reasonable but slower than K5, all conditions
FA*200 f2.8 - Slow, dim condition.

FA31ltd - Reasonable, dim condition

3rd Party Lenses
--------------------------

Sigma 10-20 - good, all conditions
Sigma 28-80 - Good, all conditions
Sigma 30 F1.4 - Good, all conditions
Sigma 70-200 HSM - Bad, well lit
Sigma 18-250 HSM - Bad, well lit

Tamron 17-50 f2.8 - Reasonable at all ends. Much better than DA18-55WR, all conditions
Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 - Slow (but reasonable for CDAF), well lit condition

Last edited by pinholecam; 04-07-2012 at 05:02 PM.
03-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Reserved....
03-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Thank you for creating this thread! If I may suggest:

With regards to "Good, Reasonable, Bad" as a subjective view - you should have something defined. Maybe have the 40mm XS as a base-line for Good. As for Reasonable and Bad, Bad should be "unable to lock focus, or take a very long time to".

This way users when reporting will give a more standardized reply for their lenses, as each user has different expectations for Good and Reasonable, I would believe.
03-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
C - AF in dim lighting (eg. ISO6400; =<1/50; =<f2.8)
Well this is EV 2,6 and that is to my idea very dark. Maybe someone can say something about what EV's would be acceptable for working in, since to my idea this is looking for malfunction.

03-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well this is EV 2,6 and that is to my idea very dark. Maybe someone can say something about what EV's would be acceptable for working in, since to my idea this is looking for malfunction.
If the user provide their settings, OP (i feel bad saying pinholecam, what's your name, OP?) can parse and maybe help to understand when settings are a bit too dim.

However, if I was a housewife buying this camera to take pictures of birthdays in my living room that is lit by a dim-ish ceiling light and one other light on a stand, that MAY easily fall into "very dark but I am not a well-versed user and I don;'t know any better".
03-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Well this is EV 2,6 and that is to my idea very dark.
Indeed.
But quite typical for bars, clubs and partys. I guess there are some people out there who would love a camera that doesn't need a flash oder AF-assist light in such conditions.
What else is a camera good for, that is small enough to be carried in an jacket or small handbag, is bundled with a decent 40/2.8 and gives outstanding iq up to iso6400 and smaller prints up to iso25600?
03-14-2012, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

This is a great idea but it may be difficult to conclude anything from the data. Perhaps a poll of the 10 most popular Pentax lenses with columns for Indoor (>=800 ISO) and Outdoor (<800 ISO).

03-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Thank you for creating this thread! If I may suggest:

With regards to "Good, Reasonable, Bad" as a subjective view - you should have something defined. Maybe have the 40mm XS as a base-line for Good. As for Reasonable and Bad, Bad should be "unable to lock focus, or take a very long time to".

This way users when reporting will give a more standardized reply for their lenses, as each user has different expectations for Good and Reasonable, I would believe.
I think a list is the best way to help everyone wade through the potential quagmire and get a good K-01 experience with the non-problematic lenses.

Ok. Since not everyone would have bought the 40XS, I've gave the AF ratings a bit of empirical context. (added to the top post)

Good = focuses within =< 0.5s
Reasonable = focuses within =< 1s or able to focus where any other DSLR/MILc would have struggled similarly (state compared to camera)
Bad = Focus with >2s or Fails to focus or much slower compared to another DSLR/MILC (state compared to camera)

Sorry, but I'm not technical enough to remember lighting conditions in EV.
I do know that the above ISO/F-stops/shutter speeds represent rather typical shooting conditions encountered.
Its also a bit easier for the non technical inclined to either refer to their EXIF or what was on the camera and report it as the lighting condition tested.
I don't mind adding EVs to clarify the ambient conditions, but someone will need to help me out on it and I'll place it on the 1st post
Thx
03-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

One idea would be to find three K-01 owners who collectively own every Pentax lens currently in production. In short order we could learn a lot about the K-01's AF compatibility in a variety of lighting conditions.
03-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
Inactive Account

It's quite simple to calculate: Exposure value - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (or to use the table)
But I don't think it's necessary: The ones that are used to think in EV will calculate it anyway, the rest of us won't understand it.
03-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
One idea would be to find three K-01 owners who collectively own every Pentax lens currently in production. In short order we could learn a lot about the K-01's AF compatibility in a variety of lighting conditions.
Have you seen the K-01 review AF page? It sums up the performance quite well. With that said, if you'd like me to test the camera with any particular lens, fire away. While I don't have every DA lens, I have almost every lens in the K, M, A, F, and FA series.

For the record, as the throw of the lens increases the degradation of AF performance on the K-01 grows faster than with PDAF, since the lens is being rotated slower.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I did. The K-01 had 18 focus failures. The K5 had two. I'm surprised you didn't elaborate on this more. I see this as being a pretty big deal (in case u didn't already know that).

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Have you seen the K-01 review AF page? It sums up the performance quite well. With that said, if you'd like me to test the camera with any particular lens, fire away. While I don't have every DA lens, I have almost every lens in the K, M, A, F, and FA series.

For the record, as the throw of the lens increases the degradation of AF performance on the K-01 grows faster than with PDAF, since the lens is being rotated slower.
03-31-2012, 08:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/179574-k-01-focus-speed...50-f2-8-a.html

Some data here - lighting conditions unknown, so assume good lighting conditions.
DA-300 F4 - Looks Reasonable, cycle time is slow.
DA-200 F2.8 - Looks Good, cycle time is fast.
DA-16-50 F2.8 - Looks Good, cycle time is fast.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/180498-testing-k-01-lens-collection.html
Some additional testing here:
Seems all the LTDs (DA 15, DA 21, DA 40, DA 70) work well in his dim room - I will assume they are at least Reasonable as he gives no speed data.
The Sigma 30 F1.4 and the FA 50 F1.4 seems to be Good.
The DA 18-135 seems to be Good.
The Sigma 70-200 HSM and 18-250 HSM were Bad.

Further down, user asahi reports:
DA 18-55 WR is slow on the long end - I assume Reasonable until the long end. No mention of lighting conditions, have to assume well lit.
F/FA 50 F1.4 and DA 16-45 are reported to be Reasonable at least.
DA 55-300 is reported to be Reasonable, and sluggish at the long end.
None of his lenses appear Bad.
03-31-2012, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #14

Photos: Albums
Just started testing a variaty of Pentax DA Primes on my K-01. Tested a DA*50-135mm 2.8, 35mm F2.4. 14mm F2.8 and also FA 50mm 1.4. Lenses exhibit excellent results both in raw and jpeg modes. Autofocus seems to be slow in most tele-lens (also tested it with a Tamron 70-200mm F2.8) but still resoanable - common for cameras when you focus on live view. I did some adjustments on the menu and it seems to speed up its focus ability, I went to customize the AF/ AE-L Button and change its setting to ENABLE AF2 and set AE-L with AF locked to "on" (C Custom Setting 1). This changes made a difference on my lenses, its seems that the contrast shows right away as the camera sets its exposure values and makes AF locks easier - the AF focus relies primarily with contrast in this K-01. Hopefully you guys can give this suggestion a shot and hope you can also post your replies and results. Thanks.
03-31-2012, 08:58 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/179574-k-01-focus-speed...50-f2-8-a.html

Some data here - lighting conditions unknown, so assume good lighting conditions.
DA-300 F4 - Looks Reasonable, cycle time is slow.
DA-200 F2.8 - Looks Good, cycle time is fast.
DA-16-50 F2.8 - Looks Good, cycle time is fast.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/180498-testing-k-01-lens-collection.html
Some additional testing here:
Seems all the LTDs (DA 15, DA 21, DA 40, DA 70) work well in his dim room - I will assume they are at least Reasonable as he gives no speed data.
The Sigma 30 F1.4 and the FA 50 F1.4 seems to be Good.
The DA 18-135 seems to be Good.
The Sigma 70-200 HSM and 18-250 HSM were Bad.

Further down, user asahi reports:
DA 18-55 WR is slow on the long end - I assume Reasonable until the long end. No mention of lighting conditions, have to assume well lit.
F/FA 50 F1.4 and DA 16-45 are reported to be Reasonable at least.
DA 55-300 is reported to be Reasonable, and sluggish at the long end.
None of his lenses appear Bad.
Thanks a lot for the compilation.
I've updated post#1 with the info you've provided