Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #1

My K-01 Test video

I manually set everything, and ambushed my roomate, marvin, while he was making his lunch. So far I'm pleased with the results. I'll hopefully be able to post more soon.
FYI, if you guys are going to shoot video, shoot in 24p or 30p (us), 50 or 60 isn't really used unless someone is recording fast action or slow motion. And turn the sharpness down (all the way down) or the moire and aliasing effects will go nuts. It'll still be high definition
Also, this was made using manual focus (I don't like to deal with auto focus). As you can see, I'm still getting used to manipulating the camera and controlling focus. I'll keep practicing
I tried to embed it, but the embed code from vimeo didn't show up in the preview post, so I just posted a link instead.

03-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I fixed the embedding in your post Cool video!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks! The more I play with the settings on this camera, the more I like it. It definitely has it's quirks, but it's a great tool. Thanks for your help with the embedding!
03-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Nice video. Which lens did you use and what aperture?

03-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #5

When you say turn down the sharpness, do you mean the quality of the file? I can't seem to find a sharpness setting for video.
03-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Nice video. Which lens did you use and what aperture?
I used the DA 40mm pancake lens. Shutter speed was at 1/50 at F4.5 and an ISO of 800.

QuoteQuote:
When you say turn down the sharpness, do you mean the quality of the file? I can't seem to find a sharpness setting for video.
Hey Aardvarkgeo, I really had to search for this one.
While in video mode, press the menu button and scroll left to the 1st camera setting page. Click on custom image. Pick one of the settings (I picked "muted") and then click "info". From there you can adjust the saturation, toning, high/low key, contrast, and sharpness. I didn't do any color correction on my video, but if you plan to, I suggest taking the contrast all the way down too. Pentax cameras don't need any extra boost of color, they naturally soak it up
03-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #7

ahhh... found it thanks... I was initially disappointed with the loud AF sound the lens makes on the video - then I discovered how easy it is to use in manual mode - having fun shooting video of my 5 month old now!

03-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manual Focus Video

QuoteOriginally posted by aardvarkgeo Quote
ahhh... found it thanks... I was initially disappointed with the loud AF sound the lens makes on the video - then I discovered how easy it is to use in manual mode - having fun shooting video of my 5 month old now!
FWIW, my daughter, a broadcast Network News producer, says all her videographers manual focus.
03-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Can you comment more on the Moire Issue?
I think I have seen some ugly things happening when the Fridge gets opened.

I'm mostly doing stuff for Guitars/Music, so all these frets and Strings will look awful when this happens.

thank you
03-15-2012, 10:34 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DrDespair Quote
Can you comment more on the Moire Issue?
I think I have seen some ugly things happening when the Fridge gets opened.

I'm mostly doing stuff for Guitars/Music, so all these frets and Strings will look awful when this happens.
There is moire, all DSLRs have that issue. I'm still experimenting on ways to avoid it, but so far it hasn't appeared any better or worse than other dslrs. Guitar strings will most likely be an issue for every dslr that may have to be taken care of in post (there are final cut plugins that can take care of minor aliasing problems). But if you're shooting medium shots with guitar strings and frets, then you may want to just invest in a camcorder and skip the dslr route all together. I'll see if I can record something with my guitar and see how it looks.
Of course, better lighting and lenses can often help, but things like brick walls and roof shingles will definitely continue to be a problem.
03-16-2012, 04:42 AM   #11

Thank you baholbrook for the tip about reducing the sharpness. I would not have thought of that.
I just shot a v quick test movie on the bus. Nothing special, but I am very happy at the quality straight out of the K-01. A little concerned at the crackles on the audio - but I think it might be because the camera was resting on my nylon bag. Will have to check this out though to ensure its not the camera. Exposure is good though and I like the reversal film effect.
03-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #12

Original Poster
zach_manchester,
that looks awesome!
03-17-2012, 05:14 AM   #13
raz

baholbrook, thanks for the video, but this was 1080 ? Is lacking details, it doesn't look even 720p to my eyes. Maybe because of turning down sharpness ?
03-17-2012, 05:36 AM   #14
Banned

QuoteQuote:
There is moire, all DSLRs have that issue.
The Panasonic GH2 has 1:1 ETC mode that crops the sensor down to 1920x1080 or 1280x720 pixels that eliminates moire. It gives 2.6x in 1080p or 3.9x in 720p.
QuoteQuote:
Video capable DSLRs have sensors vastly larger than camcorder sensors – even the expensive semi-professional models. They also feature much higher resolution, between roughly 12 and 24 Megapixels. This is desirable for still photography, but not so much when shooting video, because the highest current resolution video format for consumer and broadcast use is just 1920X1080 pixels, which translates to about 2 Megapixels resolution.

When shooting video a DSLR must reduce the images shot from maybe 16 MP or so to 2 MP. This is done in a variety of ways, all of them proprietary and so-far secret on the part of manufacturers; but including line skipping, binning, compression, and digital interpolation. As we know all too well this can produce a range of undesirable artifacts, including compression artifacts, moire, aliasing, and bayer pattern anomalies.

When shooting in 1920X1080 HD (including 24P Cinema mode) and when ETC mode is engaged, the GH2's 4608 x 3456 sensor is "cropped" to 1920X1080. In other words, only the central 2 Megapixels of the sensor's overall 18 Megapixels is recorded.

This has significant implications, almost all of them positive. Firstly, no line skipping, binning, or digital interpolation are needed. It's as if the sensor was only 2MP rather than 18MP. As a consequence the image recorded has a crop factor of 2.6X over the full Micro Four Thirds format. The best way to think of this is being akin to the crop factor of APS-C over full frame 35mm; which in that case is either 1.5X or 1.6X.

As a consequence, any lens put on the GH2 when shot in ETC video mode has an effective focal length of 2.6X of what's marked on the barrel. The new 100–300mm zoom therefore becomes a 260–780mm, with no loss of light! It's like shooting with a 2.6X teleconverter but without the image quality loss and without the light loss. There is essentially no IQ loss because the original sensor output is used; just a cropped portion of it. There is no light loss, because though it acts like a teleconverter, it isn't. There are no optical elements involved and no upressing or downressing
Panasonic GH2 1:1 Mode Revealed
03-17-2012, 05:46 AM   #15
raz

yes, the Gh2 is an amazing camera especially for shooting video. Is years ahead of absolutely any other dslr on the market. I was hoping Pentax would put a similar video mode on the K01, but seeing from the videos, the K01 produces the same bad video as the rest of the dslrs, that to my eyes resembles SD video, not even 720p. The same goes for top of the range dslrs from Nikon and Canon, they all produce shitty videos. Lack of sharpness and details, blurry video, moire and compression artifacts. I wonder if they don't do this on purpose.