Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2012, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #1
Banned

Photos: Albums
Minor items that could be addressed??

I should have almost one thousand test pics with my K-01 by the end of the week or so; and as of now I'd endorse it. Yet there are a very few minor items that I would prefer to see changed; some of which have been addressed in other forum topics.

I'm suprised that as far as I can or cannot find, that... Pentax isn't offering more in the line of items such as extension tubes or bellows. Sure one could use filters, but the quality would not be anywhere near as good as the extension tubes. So is anyone out there aware of any place that may sell some that may not be on the market anymore??

The need for a threaded cable release; or until that may eventually come around a firmware update that may allow the use of the (either of the two) remote controls to still be used in the bulb setting; preferably as option two.

The battery issue; because as some may have been suprised with - there isn't a viewfinder. I've personally well over three hundered RAW + jpeg pics on my K-01 using the monitor quite frequently and even the built in flash on occasion. Either one will have to carry around one (or two) extra batteries, use the ac cord tether, or... Perhaps Pentax might just offer a bottom of camera mounted additional power supply. The option of charging the battery in the camera would have been great.

... And a few brief conclusions about the camera in general... It would seem as though the main concerns about the camera are the design of the camera and also the lack of a viewfinder. I personally don't mind the design; as a true camera is all about the ability (if one would so desire) to use the camera creatively. This camera has very few limitations outside of the viewfinder issue. Also, some of the best cameras in the world don't exactly follow the cookie cutter camera tradition. I guess all of those Nikon people that are trying to rip on Pentax seem to foget items such as the Nikon F and the quite unusual pentaprism. This camera design will indeed find it's market.

I think that the camera will "end up" getting more people interested in both the intermediate and professional aspects of photography. They will be able to purchase a camera system; and IF they want to at a later time, also be able to use most (if not all) of their lens' on a possible upgrade. Will this camera replace the entire K line of digital cameras that do have a viewfinder - most likely not. But is it indeed a major step that will not go unnoticed by the entire camera industry. Look for other companies to be playing catch-up.

Also of note, but perhaps rumor... Quite a few have stated that this Pentax K-01 isn't the end of this line. That there may very well be other versions of it not all that far down the line; perhaps even a new Pentax standard - a full frame.

03-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, it's certainly made a bit of a splash in the internet world with the bumblebee yellow design!
03-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I certainly don't have 1000 or even 500 images yet, but I'm well north of 300 with 9 lenses, 4 manual focus. I've not even begun yet to make any conclusive determination about the camera - I'm first learning the form and functions, making my hands confortable with the placement of the controls and the shape of the body, etc. So far I have tentatively found my preferred left-hand grip - still working on the right hand. As I go along I will draw lines around things the camera cannot do that some other camera can do or do better - and that will be fine. I do not expect the area of the "Can Do It" box to be so small that this won't be my principal digital camera for a while.

I did not expect this to be a dSLR. I expected something different, and the joy of learning something new, and making photographs in a different way. I hoped to be able to do things I can no longer do with a viewfinder - that looks promising. So far I'm getting exactly what I wanted.

I can say the following, with certainty:

The K-01 is heavier than I thought it would be - AND I LIKE IT LIKE THAT!!
  • The very first thought I had about the camera was before I opened the B&H shipping carton. I thought, "Wow, its heavy"
  • The next thought was, having picked up the K-01 carton by the end that had the cords and charger, was, "Wow. It is heavy.
  • Then - wow - REALLY SOLID, QUALITY FEEL. Looks really NICE. And heavy.
I expect the mass to help me make a stable base for picture taking. Not only does it not bother me, (and I know this is a decidedly minority opinion) I actually want it. I really don't enjoy lifting air and hoping I get a picture. I don't enjoy holding up a lens with a card on the back. But this camera feels right, like a camera. It can balance a lens and make it fell like a unit with my hands. Just hold a Pentax, indeed!! I am happy!!

Last edited by monochrome; 03-14-2012 at 11:50 AM.
03-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #4

Thanks for your early thoughts, guys.

I plan on getting one as soon as they arrive in Canada (couple more weeks, I'm told). I'm seeing it as a fine-art, take-your-time camera; something that encourages careful composition. Also, maybe conversely, an efficient street camera, where you don't have to telegraph yourself by bringing a camera to your eye. Can't wait!

03-15-2012, 04:01 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mervis Quote
Thanks for your early thoughts, guys.

I plan on getting one as soon as they arrive in Canada (couple more weeks, I'm told). I'm seeing it as a fine-art, take-your-time camera; something that encourages careful composition. Also, maybe conversely, an efficient street camera, where you don't have to telegraph yourself by bringing a camera to your eye. Can't wait!
You will NOT be disappointed. As a stealth camera it's perfect not only in function but also perception.
My town has several resident A listers who scatter and hide if you even enter a coffee shop patio with a dSLR. I call that the paparazzi effect.
Even the Art galleries/museums are permissive so far.

The K-01 has no paparazzi effect, people seem to think it's a fatso iPod or VideoPhone .. weird
For the trails, get a mono pod with a walking stick style. Again with a non-descript belt-loop case and a cap/hat.

My get list today: Will buy the 1.8 on 1st availability.
The new DA 50mm F1.8
The 70 DA limited pancake
A 27 UV filter for the kit pancake 40 Adorama and BH have choices

Last edited by WWWench; 03-16-2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: typo
03-15-2012, 04:44 AM   #6
Banned

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
WWW... may have accidently brought up a good point; the size of the filter with the pancake lens - the new release 70mm DA f 1.8; which I also understand has a 29mm filter.

I bought the K-01 outfit with the (newer version) of the 40mm pancake which has an even smaller 27 lens. Optically I find the lens to be quite impressive for the size of the sensor, but... The size of the filter does in fact have some limitations. One (any perspective customer) will most likely have to purchase their filters online (unless they live in quite a large city such as NYC orLA); and even when looking for them online - so some of the (eerrr) "better" filters <such as the ones with brass rings and better optics> will even have a bit of a waiting period of back-log on them - and that's for the so-called regular UV or 1-A skylight.

For the more creative photographers that like the old fashioned filters the size of filters for pancake lens' may still be limited in general. One may even have to find the need to purchase one (or more) step up adapter filter rings to a more common sized filter.

Also of note and slightly off topic... I'll be giving the K-01 a try as a second camera (back-up) in a professional enviroment soon - and fully expect it will handle it's own well.
03-15-2012, 05:46 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
WWW... may have accidently brought up a good point; the size of the filter with the pancake lens - the new release 70mm DA f 1.8; which I also understand has a 29mm filter.
70/1.8 ? Where can I find some more Information about this lens?
Apart from that, it's impossible to build it for 29mm filters due to atway larger frontlens - even if you accept vignetting, the thread has to be at least 39mm. I thinkt thy'd go for 49mm oder 52mm.

03-15-2012, 06:17 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nasus Quote
70/1.8 ? Where can I find some more Information about this lens?
Apart from that, it's impossible to build it for 29mm filters due to atway larger frontlens - even if you accept vignetting, the thread has to be at least 39mm. I thinkt thy'd go for 49mm oder 52mm.
Adam ? has this new release 70mm DA f 1.8 lens been slotted? very interested.

Last edited by WWWench; 03-15-2012 at 06:19 AM. Reason: typo