Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #16
Site Supporter

It will be interesting to see what XS lenses come out in the future. I know a lot of people have wanted a DA lens in the 28mm range (this is a great "standard" lens in my opinion at about 43mm) so I'd love to see an "XS" version. I honestly think they released the 40mm because it was probably the most cost efficient option since it is so close to the DA version.

As other people have mentioned, I think there's a fine line in expectations. We all might be a smidge spoiled by the fact that the history of Pentax lenses continue to be workable. They're obviously not optimized to operate with each other where the XS lens is (I think it is a HUGE benefit that they do.) Hopefully firmware updates can help get the 18-55mm and similar DA lenses working a little better (especially since there are kits being sold with these.)

I would buy it because it sounds like manual focus works and I'm good with that. The average consumer is not likely to feel that way though. I am hopeful, but only time will tell.

03-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

And I don't hold it out at arm's length. I cradle it like an SLR, but right in front of my face.
How far away from your eyes do you have the K-01? In order for me to see anything close to my face (10-20cm away), I need fairly strong set of reading glasses (4-6x). Reading an eBook on the Palm PDA (30-40cm away) requires more common reader (1.5x), to recognize the text adequately on the Palm device without any reading glasses, I have to hold the PDA as far away as I can and tilt my head backward - not the most comfortable position. This is my reason for dismissing the K-01 from my upgrade path but as long as Pentax continues to make DSLR or a mirrorless with a viewfinder in the future, I am satisfied.
03-14-2012, 11:48 PM - 1 Like   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by rjm Quote
Central to the K-01 is the answer to the following question: is it reasonably enjoyable to use such a large camera (and, typically, large lenses) like a point-and-shoot, holding the camera out in front of you and framing on the rear LCD?
Go to this website and compare the K-01 with, for example, the Canon G1X, the Sony NEX-7, the Olympus E-M5, the Fuji X10 (which is a small-sensor P&S). You'll see that it's in the same general range size-wise. So not really a large camera. Heavier in this category, yes, but lighter than the DSLRs of similar IQ

Cheers.
03-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I agree that the 40mm is not the best FL to bundle with the K-01, though.
I thought so at first, but after seeing the quality shining through in ibkc's shots (nice work!), I'm having a change of heart. The lens is not so long it can't be used as an everyday standard, but the slight foreshortening gives extra separation between background and subject.

03-15-2012, 01:29 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well Pentax should make a new XS zoomlens that makes all of the mirrorless. It is a pitty that the sales figures of the K-01 are in no comparison to the D800. That is a different market and lots of pro (or wanna be) shooters just buy that new camera. K-01 is for a different market, for people who will be standing in a shop and feel it and buy it (it has to be fysical in the shop).
03-15-2012, 05:03 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Good marketing could sell a lot of these cams.
03-15-2012, 06:45 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
How far away from your eyes do you have the K-01? In order for me to see anything close to my face (10-20cm away), I need fairly strong set of reading glasses (4-6x). Reading an eBook on the Palm PDA (30-40cm away) requires more common reader (1.5x), to recognize the text adequately on the Palm device without any reading glasses, I have to hold the PDA as far away as I can and tilt my head backward - not the most comfortable position. This is my reason for dismissing the K-01 from my upgrade path but as long as Pentax continues to make DSLR or a mirrorless with a viewfinder in the future, I am satisfied.
Determining factor is that I hold my elbows firmly in at my sides. In my case that puts the LCD at chin height about 9" or 10" away from my eyes. I use progressive eyeglass lenses optimized at 1.75x for 12" and 1.25x for 30" (auto dashboard, computer monitor) and 0x for distance (I am 20/20 distance).

If you are doing all that contorting of your head and arms with a PDA I suggest you consult an optometrist regardless of which camera you select.
03-15-2012, 06:53 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well Pentax should make a new XS zoomlens that makes all of the mirrorless. It is a pitty that the sales figures of the K-01 are in no comparison to the D800. That is a different market and lots of pro (or wanna be) shooters just buy that new camera. K-01 is for a different market, for people who will be standing in a shop and feel it and buy it (it has to be fysical in the shop).
Well that's the big problem in the USA. It appears Pentax USA made a business decision in the late 2000's (Ned and John) to outsource virtually all their business functions. It appears they have no direct sales force calling on B&M stores. It appears the have a few broker/reps calling on internet retailers and box store chains. They do just a few public workshops a year and it appears those aren't well advertised.

It appears there are not now nor will there ever be any K-01's on store shelves anywhere that a USA buyer can pick up, feel and purchase on impulse.

Sometimes I wonder whether Pentax wouldn't be better off just abandoning the USA altogether.

03-15-2012, 07:35 AM   #24

It appears there are not now nor will there ever be any K-01's on store shelves anywhere that a USA buyer can pick up, feel and purchase on impulse.
Hmmm. I know of 3 stores in Canada (one in Calgary, two in Vancouver) that say they plan to have it in stock. Another major store plans only special-order sales (the sales clerk there smirked and said, "we weren't impressed", when I enquired about it - same knee-jerk rejection we've seen on the internet).

Trouble is, even if it is in stores, this model isn't getting a lot of help from the opinion makers. The internet photo gurus that I read either briefly mentioned it when first announced or have ignored it completely, all the while trumpeting the latest from Fuji, Nikon, Olympus & Sony. Hard to understand since it's going to be an image quality powerhouse - as well as being unique among mirrorless cameras in several ways. Certainly a topic for discussion, one would think, for an online photo scribe. I guess it's the lack of EVF that's causing the auto-dismissals.
03-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mervis Quote
Hmmm. I know of 3 stores in Canada (one in Calgary, two in Vancouver) that say they plan to have it in stock. Another major store plans only special-order sales (the sales clerk there smirked and said, "we weren't impressed", when I enquired about it - same knee-jerk rejection we've seen on the internet).
[snip]
... I guess it's the lack of EVF that's causing the auto-dismissals.
I doubt it. The reason is more likely that money talks. Big marketing and point-of-sale budgets buy a lot of influence, on the internet just as much as elsewhere. And then there are commission sales, bonuses from the manufacturer or distributor for beating your quota and all the rest. A lot of folks out there who think their opinions are independent and worth shouting about have had them formed over the years by the big outfits and so, whether they realize it or not, they eventually become flaks and spokesmen for the status quo. A certain digital photography review site comes to mind ... Besides, where I live, a widespread photography chain is renowned for awful suckage and clueless staff. If they told me that they "weren't impressed" by a camera I would suspect it was high praise indeed as it likely meant they were too clueless to know how to use it properly and couldn't come to terms with anything that can't immediately be linked to Facebook and Lolcats.
03-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #26

Well that's the big problem in the USA. It appears Pentax USA made a business decision in the late 2000's (Ned and John) to outsource virtually all their business functions.
Is that what happened?

When I bought my *istDL in the summer of 2006, I got it at a local big-box retailer. The big camera chain Wolf/Ritz carried Pentax at that time, too. And there were a few indie camera shops around the cities who carried the brand.

Now, just a few years later, NOBODY, except for Fry's and they only carry a few point-and-shoots (and there are only two locations in the entire Atlanta metro area, anyway). The guy I got on the phone at one of the Wolf stores actually sounded regretful, but it's not like he could do anything about it.

This is something that needs to change!

Last edited by ibkc; 03-15-2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: 2006. Not 1996. I am a fool.
03-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #27
Banned

B&H Photo NYC / The Disneyland of Photography Stores

QuoteQuote:
I bet the K-01 is at B&H.

03-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I hope it is, I'm planning on stopping by this Sunday to check out the K-01. If it's not there, BLAHHHHHHHHH
03-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Clearly I assumed we all understood Adorama, B&H and ABE's (I think) are the exceptions that prove the rule. B&H has a rep - they once repsonded to a question I asked by saying they had spoken to "their Pentax Rep." Amazon is not just a distributor itself. It is also a marketing portal for other distributors to list their products. You might see a listing for a K-5, click it, see that it is marketed by some store in Florida and they have two "Available for Sale." That's why there is an entry "Stocked and Sold by Amazon.com."

IIRC the minimum annual volume to quallify as a direct dealer was raised to a level that shut out most of the B&M stores. Direct Sales Reps don't really exist at the local store level. Either a broker or a national direct rep calls on the big internet vendors and the very few local chains (like Creve Couer Camera in St. Louis, where I can actually see a K-5 or K-r). It isn't just media ad buys - there really just isn't any kind of marketing infrastructure left in the USA.

If I had an MBA intern at my disposal and access to real corporate figures I'd bet $1 right now I could assign a marketing study that would correlate - correlate, not associate - these decisions and changes in market share.

Per an article in the Denver Post, last summer Pentax moved from Golden, CO to downtown Denver. At the time it was said they had 50 employees in Golden. I have tried very hard this winter to observe what Pentax does in the USA without casting emotional aspersions. P-USA doesn't even have K-01 on the front page of the website. Not anywhere. It is buried three levels down, Products >> Cameras >> Hybrid Cameras .. right next to the Q. We know they placed a Position Opening reference for a multi-task marketing person - trade shows, internet page maintenance and relationship development.

Is the K-01 a Hybrid Camera?

Last edited by monochrome; 03-15-2012 at 09:03 AM.
03-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
Is that what happened?

When I bought my *istDL in the summer of 1996, I got it at a local big-box retailer. The big camera chain Wolf/Ritz carried Pentax at that time, too. And there were a few indie camera shops around the cities who carried the brand.

Now, just a few years later, NOBODY, except for Fry's and they only carry a few point-and-shoots (and there are only two locations in the entire Atlanta metro area, anyway). The guy I got on the phone at one of the Wolf stores actually sounded regretful, but it's not like he could do anything about it.
It's 16 years later... and maybe later than you think!

Clearly I assumed we all understood Adorama, B&H and ABE's (I think) are the exceptions that prove the rule.
Yup, Abe's carries Pentax in their retail store. It's been a while since I've been there (I'm about 50 mi away) so I don't know if they have any K-01's.