Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Do you know what they should do, also bring out the K-01 in a different style.
They used quite a daring style with the K-01 and some hate and others love it so a camera for the haters would be perfect don't you think.
Maybe a more retro look, that would contrast well with the modern looking k-01.
And more expensive with a viewfinder

03-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mervis Quote
Okay, gotcha now.

I'm with you there. I've been running a counter-misinformation campaign myself. Which is why I jumped in to defend the use of this camera with big telephotos. Seen it said that it can't be done, which of course is nonsense.
The question was using the 300mm handheld, and I still say it's less than optimal, if not very difficult. Especially for the K300, which was the subject of the question.

Of course, you can put it on a tripod and it will work great. However, handheld is another matter. The K-01 isn't well suited to these handheld shots.

I'm the biggest Pentax fan out there, but I'm also realistic. I also own and use the K-01 and the Pen, so I speak from my experience.

Last edited by rfortson; 03-15-2012 at 08:50 PM.
03-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nicmert Quote
So don't you think this would work with the K-01 on a tripod? I'm still waffling on the K-01 and this is one of the lenses I have so was hoping it would work fine.

Steve
Of course it will work on a tripod. I thought the question was about using this lens hand held, which will be hard. I've used that lens handheld with my dSLRs and it's good, but trying to use longer lenses off the tripod and away from my face is hard.

On a tripod, anything will work. Just take a look at my Pen on a SMC 1000mm f/8 lens. The camera fits inside the lens cap! I also like using live view on a tripod, so there's no reason to think the K-01 is any less capable on a tripod.

03-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #64
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Of course it will work on a tripod. I thought the question was about using this lens hand held, which will be hard. I've used that lens handheld with my dSLRs and it's good, but trying to use longer lenses off the tripod and away from my face is hard.

On a tripod, anything will work. Just take a look at my Pen on a SMC 1000mm f/8 lens. The camera fits inside the lens cap! I also like using live view on a tripod, so there's no reason to think the K-01 is any less capable on a tripod.
The K300 doesn't have a mount which makes it. Challenge for me to use handheld. Even with a tripod I always wonder it the body mount will separate from the body. The K-01 is as robust as any body but I've ever really been comfortable with the K300.

I'm having challenges setting up the DOF preview / metering in menu so I can use K lenses. MF W/ DA lenses is working with FP.

03-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #65

The question was using the 300mm handheld
I think I missed this originally. So I agree, at least for me, the 300 is too much to use by hand.
Thanks!

Russ, that is awesome!
03-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #66

Of course, you can put it on a tripod and it will work great. However, handheld is another matter. The K-01 isn't well suited to these handheld shots.
I merely misunderstood monochrome's comment and I apologized.

300MMs are awkward (especially in terms of available shutter speeds and the limitation that puts on your aperture choice) with any body, so the K-01 isn't unique in this regard. That was part of the point I was trying to make (badly apparently). In fact if the fat part of the lens is the fulcrum, the K-01 would pose less of a weight load than a dslr. But that's drifting into subjective territory again.
03-16-2012, 01:10 AM   #67
rjm
Forum Member

Original Poster
It's a bad example because 450mm eff. is really lens-collar-and-tripod territory, at which point the camera size and handling cease to matter.

A better example might be the DA 50-135/2.8. A large lens, but not a really long focal length, it's a lens usually used handheld.
03-16-2012, 01:54 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rjm Quote
It's a bad example because 450mm eff. is really lens-collar-and-tripod territory, at which point the camera size and handling cease to matter.

A better example might be the DA 50-135/2.8. A large lens, but not a really long focal length, it's a lens usually used handheld.
To be honest I think I will use the K-01 on tripod (if ever) with 300mm/70-200 or just go down to the short lenses I own. 15mm, 21mm, 40mm and 55mm. I don't think that 50-135mm would be very comfortable in your hands with K-01. My brother has a Pen and the long kitlens and does'n't work very nice.

My FA*85mm already has the same weight as the K-01. So that could work aswell, but larger then that handheld will give some diffyculty. Unless you start stabilising the combo with a LCD viewfinder to your eye.

03-16-2012, 02:14 AM   #69
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So are you saying you have mounted and used a DA300/4 with the K-01 - comfortably and successfully - or are you contradicting my supposition that I don't think a K-01 is suited to shooting with a 300 and is definitely not suited to shooting a K300/4 without a monopod?
For what it's worth, I *have* mounted my DA* 300 on my new K-01 and I would have to say it is not a good match for hand-held shooting in low light. Hardly surprising. The autofocus is however quite efficient and in better light they might work reasonably well together. I should find some more time to play tomorrow....
03-16-2012, 05:59 AM   #70
Veteran Member

You mean a K-rMkII?
No, Kr would have a viewfinder.
I'm more thinking about maybe the Ricoh GXR with k-mount module, very different styling and features then the K-01 so it might work. =]

About lenses for the K-01.
The DA limited lenses would be great for it but also the DA18-135 might fit the camera very well, any one tried it with that lens?
03-16-2012, 06:35 AM   #71
Lens Buying Addict

No, Kr would have a viewfinder.
I'm more thinking about maybe the Ricoh GXR with k-mount module, very different styling and features then the K-01 so it might work. =]

About lenses for the K-01.
The DA limited lenses would be great for it but also the DA18-135 might fit the camera very well, any one tried it with that lens?
K-01 would be fun with a rangefinder.
03-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #72
Lens Buying Addict

I'm really behind the curve on this camera because I didn't ever get a K-7 or K-5. so I'm just now learning LCD focusing and exposure (literally, how do I read the metering infomation on the LCD instead of in the VF; how does the camera respond to Input A as it tries to produce result B; in each Mode, what are the effects of the Menu settings and where are the active controls in that Mode; re-learning the now-instinctive thumb and index finger motions; learning how to make a braced platform with two hands and a neckstrap, etc.).

Using manual lenses I imagine I'll also need to learn how to meter with the camera (re-map G/R button or use the +/-?) and how the camera meters my lenses - IOW does it behave somewhat erratically as does my K10D.

Some people might call these things a reason not to buy the camera. I think it is fun. We have here what CAN be a consumer uipgrade camera that also has the capacity to be a pretty sophisticated, serious creative platform, Pretty cool package - and only three PF members get it (based on buy-through orders).

Whenever I get my first really good image it will be an image that I made, not a Pentax engineer's programming decisions (not that those are bad decisions).
03-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #73
Veteran Member

K-01 would be fun with a rangefinder.
Sounds good as well, who knows?
03-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rjm Quote
Is there really no way to monitor the live view off-camera, not even over a USB connection? That's a shame, because it would seem to be a deal-breaker for quite a lot of people - myself included.
It isn't about monitoring, you can do that with HDMI.
What many want is a clean HDMI-output so you can record from that, instead off the h.264 record that the K-01 makes you can for example make a RAW record.
03-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #75
Pentaxian

It isn't about monitoring, you can do that with HDMI.
What many want is a clean HDMI-output so you can record from that, instead off the h.264 record that the K-01 makes you can for example make a RAW record.
Any idea wheater that is technical possible (with K-01 and the PRIME M processor)? Maybe on the expence of recording in the camera but just output true hdmi?