Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mervis Quote
Ummm, I'm a little confused. You seemed to be saying that the 300/4 has no mounting ring. If I misunderstood, I apologize.

Peace, bro.
Monochrome is talking about the K300/4 while you are talking about the DA300/4.

03-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ummm, I'm a little confused. You seemed to be saying that the 300/4 has no mounting ring. If I misunderstood, I apologize.

Peace, bro.
Well I guess my question is Which 300/4 And I do get pissy about the K-01. I think Pentax hit a home run with this camera and it can't get traction even here. My bad.

K300/4 - the K-01 is IMHO not suited to this lens

DA300/4: Pentax added a mount (not shown, but collar screw shows)

03-15-2012, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #48
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Pentax is not Sony, Canon or Nikon, and they don't have the marketing budgets the others do. Yes, all the churn disrupted marketing, but with Ricoh (which has a camera history) at the helm, I think they will start to turn that around. However, I never expect them to have large ad campaigns and shelves of products. I don't think they can afford that level of marketing. When's the last Leica ad campaign you saw? Or when did you last handle one?

Outside of Sony SLR's I've given up on Sony; even though I must confess to having a Sony A900 and also a pocket Sony HX-5 (10mp w/ 10x optical, but not zeiss) and also formerly a V1, but with Zeiss. I was quite disappointed with the nex 5, and the very ongoing problem that Sony has had in trying to get the nex 7 market for many, many months.

As for Leica; I own two of their cameras, and have been a Leica owner since 85. The cameras are in fact not all that well marketed in North America, but you'll see it marketed all over the place throughout other regions of the world. Their optics on the other hand (such as spotting scopes or rifle scopes) are in fact marketed well just about everywhere.

I think that Pentax is already well on the way to turning around and becoming a major player again. At least it's not as bad as Olympus. The K-01 is solid all by itself; and guess what... I think that this "K-01 line" will most likely be expanded upon (greatly) in the future - perhaps within one year.
03-15-2012, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
I think that Pentax is already well on the way to turning around and becoming a major player again. At least it's not as bad as Olympus. The K-01 is solid all by itself; and guess what... I think that this "K-01 line" will most likely be expanded upon (greatly) in the future - perhaps within one year.
Most on this Forum will discount this response, but - from time to time in my life I have relied on intuition rather than reason to make a decision. This is one of those times. There must be some combination of little inputs from Pentax and other sources (I cannot quantify them individually), that in combination leads me to a sense of optimism.

It isn't rational, but it is quite real.

Be of good cheer, Pentaxians. Ricoh has a plan and you will be happy.

03-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
DA300/4: Pentax added a mount (not shown, but collar screw shows)
Okay, gotcha now.

And I do get pissy about the K-01. I think Pentax hit a home run with this camera and it can't get traction even here.
I'm with you there. I've been running a counter-misinformation campaign myself. Which is why I jumped in to defend the use of this camera with big telephotos. Seen it said that it can't be done, which of course is nonsense.
03-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Do you know what they should do, also bring out the K-01 in a different style.
They used quite a daring style with the K-01 and some hate and others love it so a camera for the haters would be perfect don't you think.
Maybe a more retro look, that would contrast well with the modern looking k-01.
03-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most on this Forum will discount this response, but - from time to time in my life I have relied on intuition rather than reason to make a decision. This is one of those times. There must be some combination of little inputs from Pentax and other sources (I cannot quantify them individually), that in combination leads me to a sense of optimism.

It isn't rational, but it is quite real.

Be of good cheer, Pentaxians. Ricoh has a plan and you will be happy.
It might be rational, just not explicable. Your brain may have fit together the "little inputs" like a jigsaw puzzle.

I'm optimistic about Pentax simply because, as I've gotten older, I've decided to choose optimism.

03-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #53
rjm
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
If the K-01 had HDMI out in video mode, I would have bought it this year as my "movie" body to go with my K5. I was *that* close. Since HDMI connection puts the K-01 in play mode automatically, I'm out.
[...]
If all it takes is a firmware update to make the K-01 HDMI out in video mode, then it might be on again.
Is there really no way to monitor the live view off-camera, not even over a USB connection? That's a shame, because it would seem to be a deal-breaker for quite a lot of people - myself included.
03-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #54
rjm
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm with you there. I've been running a counter-misinformation campaign myself. Which is why I jumped in to defend the use of this camera with big telephotos. Seen it said that it can't be done, which of course is nonsense.
There's do-able, and then there's ease-of-doing.

It'd good to learn that some people with the K-01 in hand don't mind composing on the LCD, and that you can brace the camera up close to your face and still use the LCD. The next question of course is to ask if you prefer that way of shooting over a viewfinder, or are you just making the best of a bad hand?
03-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Do you know what they should do, also bring out the K-01 in a different style.
They used quite a daring style with the K-01 and some hate and others love it so a camera for the haters would be perfect don't you think.
Maybe a more retro look, that would contrast well with the modern looking k-01.
You mean a K-rMkII?
03-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rjm Quote

It'd good to learn that some people with the K-01 in hand don't mind composing on the LCD, and that you can brace the camera up close to your face and still use the LCD. The next question of course is to ask if you prefer that way of shooting over a viewfinder, or are you just making the best of a bad hand?
Well in my case I can't use a viewfinder at all, so its LCD or sell everything and stop taking photographs, so I PREFER.using an LCD.

And even if I could use a viewfinder there is a significant number of crazy people who like to use K-mount legacy manual focus lenses for all kinds of aesthetic reasons. Focus Peaking on a 3" 920,000 dot LCD is such a pleasure compared to a dim, modern OVF.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-15-2012 at 06:54 PM.
03-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #57

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rjm Quote

I've outlined my reasons for liking/wanting/needing the LCD screen here so many times I'm not going to do it again (you can search my posts if you really want to know), but when I had the camera out with me yesterday, I found another reason to love it. I rather enjoy what is called "street shooting", but I can get a bit paranoid about it. This camera is a dream for that. It's a full-sized camera, so you can put it on the table or on your lap and watch for good shots, and no one gets self-conscious about a photographer pointing a camera at them. They expect you to lift it up to your eyes.
03-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
I've outlined my reasons for liking/wanting/needing the LCD screen here so many times I'm not going to do it again (you can search my posts if you really want to know), but when I had the camera out with me yesterday, I found another reason to love it. I rather enjoy what is called "street shooting", but I can get a bit paranoid about it. This camera is a dream for that. It's a full-sized camera, so you can put it on the table or on your lap and watch for good shots, and no one gets self-conscious about a photographer pointing a camera at them. They expect you to lift it up to your eyes.
Let me introduce you to Karen Nakamura, proprietor of Photoethnography.com. She teaches the science and ethics of "Street Shooting" at Yale. Yes, she teaches "Photoethnography"

Plan to spend the next week exploring her website. I learned more about classic cameras there than all other websites combined. There's a huge section on Spotmatics - her first camera was a Spottie. I think you will like it.
03-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #59

Photos: Gallery
Let me introduce you to Karen Nakamura, proprietor of Photoethnography.com. She teaches the science and ethics of "Street Shooting" at Yale. Yes, she teaches "Photoethnography"

Plan to spend the next week exploring her website. I learned more about classic cameras there than all other websites combined. There's a huge section on Spotmatics - her first camera was a Spottie. I think you will like it.
Thank you, checking it out now.
03-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #60

K300/4 - the K-01 is IMHO not suited to this lens
So don't you think this would work with the K-01 on a tripod? I'm still waffling on the K-01 and this is one of the lenses I have so was hoping it would work fine.

Steve