Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #1

Not for me...

Disappointing find... This camera was almost certainly a winner in my books... Image quality was steller! Even in low light it did exceptionally well. Focusing was MUCH faster than I expected. The first lens I tried was my 70-300 and it did very well under about 150mm. Performance dropped dramatically beyond that, and was practically unusable at 300mm, but this camera wasn't really designed for these kinds of zoom levels. Using my DA 40mm, I was able to focus on most things I wanted to, having a few problems with low-light situations. A few objects simply wouldn't focus, even using the focal assist. A bit disappointing but I could live with it...

The main drawback, however, would be the ergonomics... At first, it was fine. I typically don't use the "green" button so it's placement didn't bother me. For basic usage, button layout was fine (though the wheel was a bit of a stretch). The problem came after using the camera for a few minutes. I have large hands, and how I had to hold the camera cause my wrist to cramp up. I think it's because there's no real grip on the camera so I was really holding it with my finger tips... Regardless, there's no way I could hold the camera for an extended period of time without my hands cramping up.

Perhaps the K-02 (or whatever follows) will have a more pronounced grip. The sensor in this camera is fantastic, focusing is better than expected, but the fancy design leaves much to be desired. I wouldn't say mark it off just because of me, though. I believe people with smaller hands would probably be perfectly fine using the camera...

03-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like the K-5 with a grip might be a better fit for you! I personally think that without it, the camera is too small and too hard to hold, especially with heavier (though still hand-holdable) lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-15-2012, 05:17 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Excellent description, Darren.

I know one of the features that attracted me to the K-5 was the compact body. But once I put a battery grip on it, I don't want to take it off. Having the option of being equipped either way sure is nice.

I have pretty big mits too, so would likely have the same holding issues.
03-15-2012, 05:47 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I don't have big hands, but I am still considering this:

The Handy Dandy Hand Strap

It looks like it might be a bit of added comfort if I'm going to be using the camera for extended periods of time.

03-15-2012, 06:17 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I used to use a hand strap on my DS years ago...worked very nicely to relieve stress on my hands and keep the camera secure.
Regards
03-15-2012, 06:18 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
I don't have big hands, but I am still considering this:

The Handy Dandy Hand Strap

It looks like it might be a bit of added comfort if I'm going to be using the camera for extended periods of time.
I use a handstrap for my k-5 and have almost given up using a regular strap. I've found v. useful where a degree of discretion is required and for shooting pre-set from the hip. They're not all the same, however, and it's worth getting a comfy and strong one (mine is a fleabay item which cost me about 15 bucks IIRC).
03-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DarrenCax Quote
Disappointing find... This camera was almost certainly a winner in my books... Image quality was steller! Even in low light it did exceptionally well. Focusing was MUCH faster than I expected. The first lens I tried was my 70-300 and it did very well under about 150mm. Performance dropped dramatically beyond that, and was practically unusable at 300mm, but this camera wasn't really designed for these kinds of zoom levels.
I want to tell you confidentially - any mirrorless camera of any brand has problems with AF with long lenses....

Only new algorithms of new AF systems with new very cool processor will help in the future. BUT...I think - EVIL can't reach DSLR in this aspect in the nearest years.
03-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #8

Original Poster
Adam - I'm going back to a K-r for now (have one on the way) in hopes it doesn't suffer the FF issues like my previous ones did... I did have a K-5 for a short while too, but it's focusing was WAY too inconsistent. I'd say 80% of my photos were blurry. Even same subject/location, the outcome would be inconsistent.

ogl - Yeah, I knew it would struggle but within most people's normal range, the camera performs admirably. Aside from some low-light issues, I was extremely pleased with it's focusing abilities

ibkc - That's a neat lil thing there. If low light did a bit better, I"d probably consider it. I just know the K-r is a pretty comfy camera though. Fingers crossed the new one works...

03-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DarrenCax Quote
The main drawback, however, would be the ergonomics... At first, it was fine. I typically don't use the "green" button so it's placement didn't bother me. For basic usage, button layout was fine (though the wheel was a bit of a stretch). The problem came after using the camera for a few minutes. I have large hands, and how I had to hold the camera cause my wrist to cramp up. I think it's because there's no real grip on the camera so I was really holding it with my finger tips... Regardless, there's no way I could hold the camera for an extended period of time without my hands cramping up.
Sorry to hear that. I love the K-01 - exactly what I need and I prefer it to a K-5 or K-10D viewfinder.

I have no problems holding, supporting or gripping the K-01. I have size 10 hands. I like the right hand grip.

I have stood and held the camera at my face for 6 minutes uninterrupted, used autofocus and manual focus successfully with up to DA55~300 at 260mm and the DA40Ltd. is a dream. I've had trouble obtaining AF lock in a walnut paneled office containing cherry furniture and oriental rugs, with one cream couch and one 60 Watt lamp lit. If that would make you send the camera back - OK. But I don't expect anything to work in that room. I don't like the way CDAF cycles through the entire focus throw on a long lens or long zoom, but once it does it locks HARD. With QuickShift lenses I pre-focus and AF touch up. Inside 135 the camera is perfect - PERFECT!!!

The key is how you hold the camera. Hold it cradled like an SLR, elbows firmly in at the sides, LCD in front of your face and you'll be fine. PnS thumbs and pinkies won't work.

If necessary look at an SLR 80's user manual to see how to hold the camera.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-15-2012 at 03:14 PM.
03-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
Banned

Photos: Albums
I also have no problem hand-holding it for well over ten minutes; either at or near my face - even with some of the larger lens' such as the 60-250mm f 4.0 .

As for focus lock; I haven't gone beyond 250mm indoors just yet; and also still at f 4.0 . Yet I also was able to get away with using a 25w bulb in a darkened room and still get the focus lock on a variety of surfaces; sometimes at less light than that.

Also of interest with the 60-250... Naturally it does have a larger than average front filter, but it could be worse - imagine if it would be a f 2.8? It also has a built in tripod collar which gives a good balance when used with the K-01, but.... Depending upon shooting conditions; I would most definately try to cut costs on by getting anything but an impressive tripod - also being sure to chech out any weight restrictions that the tripod have. There's always the weight of the tripod itself versus the issue of having (or wanting) to carry a heavier one all over the place.

My personal favorites for the tripod thing (a bit off topic); Manfrotto, Gitzo, or Linhof. Even the K-01 with smaller lens may be a bit overwhelming on an economy tripod.
03-15-2012, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #11
Banned

Manfrotto Fluid Video Monopod W/Head

Manfrotto Fluid Video Monopod W/Head 561BHDV-1 B&H Photo Video

03-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #12
Banned

Photos: Albums
Nice stickS (yes, it's a monopod so it should not indeed be plural).

...Also a good choice for the tripod head. I believe it handles weight better than my usual magnesium tripod head. I recall seeing a decked out D3 on a very economy tripod lately; unfortunately it didn't fair out all that well. Nothing like a 10k++ system on a tripod that retailed for not much more than one hundred dollars - ouch