Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-01 and the Green Button

I’m used to using manual lenses—both K-mount and screw-mount with an adapter--on my K200D, and I know the process: focus, set aperture, push the green button to set the shutter speed, frame, and shoot. One of the reasons I got the K-01 was to use my manual lenses with the live view and focus peaking. So I’ve been experimenting with the K-01, and I’ve found that it’s either very different from the green-button Pentax DSLRs, or I’m missing something.

The manual hints at the menu settings for shooting with manual lenses: Using Aperture Ring should be Enabled, and Green Button action in M/TAv Mode should be set to Tv Shift. After that, and with the camera set for spot metering and manual focus, here’s what I’ve found:

In Av Mode, changing the aperture changes the shutter speed to match, depending on the ISO set. If ISO is set to Auto, ISO also changes with aperture, shutter speed, and the brightness of the subject.

In M Mode, with the ISO set to Auto, in indoor light the shutter speed is set to a minimum 1/125, and the ISO changes depending on the aperture setting and the brightness. The shutter speed changes only after the ISO reaches the end of its scale. In bright light, after the ISO reaches 100, the shutter speed increases with increasing brightness. In dim light, the shutter speed decreases after the ISO reaches 25600. With Auto ISO, the thumbwheel is not effective, and the green button doesn’t do anything. This setting is handy for fully automatic shooting with a fully manual lens. All you have to do is focus. But it doesn’t give full control.

Setting the ISO manually does give full control. In this case an EV scale, ranging from -3 to +3, appears near the bottom of the LCD screen, and by changing the lens aperture or changing the shutter speed with the thumbwheel, the exposure can be adjusted as shown on the scale.

Here’s the strange thing, though: If you do push the green button while shooting with the ISO set manually, the button locks the shutter speed setting—on my camera, anyway—and there isn’t any way to unlock it short of turning off the camera. Is that how Pentax intended it to work? Is that how the K-r works? If that is proper operation, then what is the green button Tv Shift setting in the menu for? Under what conditions do you use the green button to set the shutter speed?

Don’t get me wrong: I really like using the exposure scale on the LCD. It’s sort of like adjusting the position of the meter needle in the viewfinder of a Spotmatic or K-1000. But if the green button is unnecessary for shooting with fully manual lenses, why didn’t Pentax mention that in the description of the camera? That would have been an even greater selling point for me—and many others who like to shoot with the old lenses.

Pentax has never been fully open and encouraging about the use of fully manual lenses with its DSLRs, and it seems to be continuing that practice even though the compatibility of the K-01 with the complete range of legacy lenses (K-mount, at least) is one of the camera’s selling features. I don’t understand that. I can’t believe that being open about the use of the old lenses would discourage the sale of new AF ones.

03-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Merci

Bonjour,

Thanks for your feedback on the K-01 ... I'm interested in it, but kind of sitting back to read all of the reviews ... here on PF by Pentax users and hopefully soon in the professional photo press.

Merci encore & salut, John le Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 03-16-2012 at 10:57 AM.
03-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Interesting that you found this; I have only shot in Av mode with an older lens, I always set the ISO manually, and I never touched the green button while shooting, so this did not happen to me. Thanks for the warning.
03-16-2012, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is close enough to your question that I'll offer the following:

I confronted the issue of asking my K-01 to meter my K lenses for a scene in M Mode late last night, as if I had a DOF Preview lever on the camera as my K10D does. I do not believe the Green Button on the K-01 functions as the Green Button has on past Pentax cameras, at least in operator-controlled modes. here's what I think I found: Relevant pages of the manual are about 92 - 99 and 151.

Note, this is not yet Gospel - I could be making some small error here because I don't have the camera or manual in front of me)
  1. Default DOF Preview button is +/- (was the DOF Lever around the Shuitter release on K10D)
    1. You can also Map DOF Preview to either G/R Button in Menu
  2. Set Aperture on lens
  3. Set ISO in camera (or set allowable range)
  4. Set Shutter Speed in camera
  5. Focus using Focus Peaking
  6. Press DOF Preview Button
    1. LCD will show a preview AS IT WILL BE EXPOSED!!
    2. If the camera cannot select an ISO that will give suitable exposure the ISO/Shutter speed indicators will blink in red at bottom of LCD. If you have not enabled "Allow Shutter Release" the camera will not fire until you correct the poor exposure.
  7. Perform any corrective or artistic functions such as AE Lock
  8. Confirm focus
  9. Shoot
I had gotten frustrated trying to expose with MF lenses. What I find is virtually all the dSLR functions I've ever used are in the K-01 somewhere but they are assigned to different Menu locations (such as TAv under M Mode), lack a direct-action body button (Exposure Compensation), or the buttons are in a different place (4-Way Controller, AF, etc.). It is simply a metter of learning something new and training your thumb to go to a different place.

Unfortunately the Manual is not written by objective (to do this perform these steps). Rather it is written by Menu Function (this thing does this). It is up to us to read and reread the Manual and figure out how to arrange settings to suit our needs and shooting style.

But that's the fun of a new camera, isn't it?

03-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Unfortunately the Manual is not written by objective (to do this perform these steps). Rather it is written by Menu Function (this thing does this). It is up to us to read and reread the Manual and figure out how to arrange settings to suit our needs and shooting style.

But that's the fun of a new camera, isn't it?
Yes, it is fun, to a certain extent. But I've missed a couple or three generations of Pentax DSLRs (still shooting a K200D). So when the manual tells me that the green button can be set to Tv Shift, yet it doesn't seem to do anything, and in fact seems to hinder the operation of the camera, I wonder whether it's the fault of me, my copy of the camera, or Pentax in general.
03-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nparsons13 Quote
Yes, it is fun, to a certain extent. But I've missed a couple or three generations of Pentax DSLRs (still shooting a K200D). So when the manual tells me that the green button can be set to Tv Shift, yet it doesn't seem to do anything, and in fact seems to hinder the operation of the camera, I wonder whether it's the fault of me, my copy of the camera, or Pentax in general.
Those are the same frustrations I'm having. I choose to slowly work my way through until I understand the camera. But then I read manuals first for everything. I read my wife's dishwasher manual before I let her load it.

My dSLR is a K10D so I'm even farther away than you are. So far I have found the Green Button does not behave as we think it will. I think that is because G/R Buttons, Menus and Functions are Mode-dependent. I really don't know what the default use of the Green Button is unless it is to return any setting to default, or to be used in Auto Mode.
03-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Keep in mind that the manual is just some guy's opinion.

03-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #8

Original Poster
Yeah, well he has a pretty strong opinion that the green button can be set for Tv Shift in M Mode.
03-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Keep in mind that the manual is just some guy's opinion.

So says The Mad Reader
03-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #10

Original Poster
After reading the manual again, I decided to forget the Tv Shift and set the green button for Preview. Well, it doesn't really preview--instead I get a flash of overexposed picture on the LCD--so I'm still missing something, but at least pressing the button doesn't lock up the exposure setting now.

Photo below a quick one from the garden this morning; f/5.6 with a Super-Tak 35/3.5.

Now back to the manual . . .

03-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #11

Original Poster
Okay, I think I have it figured out. The lenses I was using earlier were the SMC Tak 28/3.5 and the Super Tak 35/3.5--small-diameter lenses that didn't cover the contact pins on the face of the KAF lens mount. So the contact pins weren't sending the right signals to the camera to allow it to use the green button functions. I put on a Pentax-M 50/2, which covers the contacts, and voilà! the Tv Shift works great!

So for users of small-diameter M42 or K lenses in M Mode: If the lens doesn't cover the contact pins on the lens mount, either turn off the Tv Shift function or don't push the green button. Use the exposure scale at the bottom of the view screen to set your exposure. If the lens is large enough to cover the contact pins, you won't see the exposure scale, but you will be able to use Tv Shift with the green button.

To vaguely paraphrase monochrome: Pentax had a plan, I finally figured out what the plan is, and now I'm happy.
03-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Okay, I think I have it figured out. The lenses I was using earlier were the SMC Tak 28/3.5 and the Super Tak 35/3.5--small-diameter lenses that didn't cover the contact pins on the face of the KAF lens mount. So the contact pins weren't sending the right signals to the camera to allow it to use the green button functions. I put on a Pentax-M 50/2, which covers the contacts, and voilà! the Tv Shift works great!

So for users of small-diameter M42 or K lenses in M Mode: If the lens doesn't cover the contact pins on the lens mount, either turn off the Tv Shift function or don't push the green button. Use the exposure scale at the bottom of the view screen to set your exposure. If the lens is large enough to cover the contact pins, you won't see the exposure scale, but you will be able to use Tv Shift with the green button.

To vaguely paraphrase monochrome: Pentax had a plan, I finally figured out what the plan is, and now I'm happy.
To make our new products so tricky to use, but once people figure it out, they are happy!
03-17-2012, 11:27 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
To make our new products so tricky to use, but once people figure it out, they are happy!
I must confess at a point last week I was pretty frustrated trying to get decent exposures out of my K-01, so I made a list of things I couldn't figure out and I've gone back over the manual and settings several times checking things off.

Today I got a jerking around snapshot exposure with an FA35/2 using focus peaking, braced-hand-held (Av, fixed ISO 6400, natural light, 22 feet) that knocks my socks off (posted in Best K-01 images). The embroidery on the fabric of a Victorian loveseat and the individual stitches on a needlepoint pillow resting there are extremely sharp. The jpeg upload doesn't do the file justice. I am just amazed with this camera's potential.

I'm pretty sure on this Forum I was the first to ascertain that you hold the camera like an SLR, not like a compact - that makes all the difference in the world. I got that idea out of an MESuper manual. Someone (I think rfortson) suggested shortening the strap and using it as a brace to make a more stable platform. That makes sense - I wrap the strap around my left wrist on the K10D for the same reason.

I've managed to meter K series lenses using DOF Preview both with the +/- button and mapped to the Green Button (I don't think that's documented in the manual).

I think Catch-In-Focus is an undocumented function under AF Release in Custom Settings 2, 10 - that's for tomorrow.

We learned early on that TAv is undocumented [EDIT: Documented - two lines] under M Mode.

I'm figuring out the e-dial and re-training my thumb from the K10D. It just keeps getting better and better. Sure, I wonder why I haven't already gotten a K-5, but being different and bucking a trend with this camera appeals to my crabby old man side. After the last six weeks I want to make this to work now just for the sake of being contrary. And since relatively few members own this camera I get to be First-In for once. And it is fun to figure something out - small victories and all that.

I think there is closer to a K-5 in there than a K-r - - -

And it does make positively beautiful pictures. I hope it catches on despite the snootiness of the reviewer community (Adam is excepted from that comment - his review is fair and even-handed).

I believe the issue with the Manual is that it is organized by Function, as if you went from Folder to Page to Line in the Menu in order (THIS setting does THIS). We want to be able look up how to perform a certain task (To do THIS set THAT).

That would require a much deeper Index and/or an Appendix written by and for an actual user. Maybe someone should write a book

I do believe Ricoh has a plan and we're going to be really surprised and happy. I hope they expect the K-01 to build slowly as early adopters start to figure it out and post images, then surprise everyone with its brisk sales. Remember the colored bodies? They sure sold an awful lot of them - 100 colors in Japan.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-26-2012 at 03:12 PM.
03-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #14

Errrm, OK, so now I'm confused. Which modes work with an M lens such as my late 70s 135mm f3.5 manual? Is it only Av? Do I select ISO, aperture, and press Green to get speed selected correctly? If so (and assuming light levels don't change), what happens if I change ISO or aperture? And can I use other modes?
03-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have to say that on the K-5 and the K-01, I've always understood that you set it to M mode, focus, and by pressing the green button, the camera sets the shutter speed based on what is needed to correctly expose at the f-stop you've chosen (if the lighting changes, ie sun comes out from behind clouds, you would need to press the green button again to get correct exposure.)

I'll admit that I got a little lost a few posts back when there was the talk of what would happen when functions are re-mapped to the green button in M mode (so perhaps I am not quite understanding.) But I can tell you that doing as I've state above has worked for me fine so far on the K-01 and my pre-A lenses.

Good luck!