Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-16-2012, 04:39 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-01 recommended settings

In case anyone missed this, for those of you who already have the K-01, here are some settings I've found helpful to set:

Pentax K-01 Review - Recommended Settings - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That section was especially helpful, Adam. I'm digging in to MF stuff now.
03-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This was a great addition to the review
Thanks
04-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Should be very useful when I finally get my hand on a K-01. Things (Pentax cameras) are moving very slowly here in Sabah, Malaysia. I have yet to see a K-01 on the shelf. May have to get one from the Internet....

04-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #5

Thank you for that comprehensive review,Adam. It has propelled me forward in my quest to get an 01. I'm looking forward to a fairly fun summer,with my 01 and my k2000.
Annie
07-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Will they work for K-30 ?

As K-01 and the K-30 share the sensor, do you think these settings would work for K-30 as well ?
09-11-2012, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

To each his own

I set all mine to these and then changed quite a few.
In particular I found setting "green button" to "green button" more useful than anything else.
I leave Focus Peaking on all the time, so I don't need a button for it.
Changing file formats (and certain other settings) is very easy via the Info screen; and Ev button-RAW is always an option, so toggling File Format is not a priority.
Setting it to Green Button also enables Program Shift, which is mysteriously otherwise disabled. This is not the case on my K-r and from memory my K-200D before that, and I find being able to easily shift the aperture and shutter combinations in Program more useful than most other modes, though I still tend towards AV from my ME Super days.
I usually set my cameras to Spot AF and link-AE-to-AF as I prefer to focus then recompose before shooting. On this camera I found the Face Recognition to just be more reliable and quicker for all photos with AF lenses (although I bought it primarily for my manual focus lenses) especially in low light, so now I tend to leave it on Multi-Segment and Face Recognition when using my (few) AF lenses and spot when using manual focus lenses.
Finally, I realise I'm a pariah in this aspect; but I really, really love the design and feel of the camera. I am as much an industrial design fan as a photophile. My kitchen is full of Philippe Starck and Michael Graves’ Alessi products and I regularly wear to Court ties and cufflinks designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and other design pioneers; my walls are adorned with prints and photos of industrial design icons. Consequently I enjoy, not tolerate or suffer, the mere second added to start-up that being reminded I am using a Marc Newson design entails. I would appreciate some firmware updates, but that’s another thread.

11-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #8
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-01 arrived today. Thanks for the settings advice, Adam. It has been invaluable in helping me to get set up and get a better handle on the camera. It also gave me a couple of "Aha!" moments and I changed a few settings on the K10d as well.
11-16-2012, 12:20 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
K-01 arrived today. Thanks for the settings advice, Adam. It has been invaluable in helping me to get set up and get a better handle on the camera. It also gave me a couple of "Aha!" moments and I changed a few settings on the K10d as well.
Glad to hear the review & guides were helpful!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #10

Dust removal

Is it normal for there to be a clunking sound when the dust removal on shut down is set to "on"?
12-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kpevav Quote
Is it normal for there to be a clunking sound when the dust removal on shut down is set to "on"?
Yes. It's the same for all Pentax dSLRs with "shake the sensor" dust removal (K-x, K-r, K-30, but NOT K-5, which has ultrasonic dust removal).
12-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I am still puzzling out which functions will earn the red and green buttons for my shooting. I wish 'enter focal length' were an option even if just in M mode, for my m-focus zooms.
12-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Yes. It's the same for all Pentax dSLRs with "shake the sensor" dust removal (K-x, K-r, K-30, but NOT K-5, which has ultrasonic dust removal).
Thanks THoog.
02-12-2013, 01:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Every time I switch on the camera it shows me the language settings like it's a first time setup!?
I did this 4 times already AND set both region/home location in the main menu but it still shows me the initial setup when I turn it on.

Gone through the settings until I'm blue in the face, can't find anything to disable this - annoying..

What am I missing?

QuoteQuote:
What am I missing?
..a brain

I wasn't dropping down to the item 'Settings Complete' and pressing OK... I thought that was a message..

Sorted.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 02-12-2013 at 03:34 AM.
02-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got my K-01 today, and the suggested settings were very useful.