Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2012, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Old lenses (not native K-mount) on K-01

I came across this thread, about an almost 100 year old lens used on a Canon 5Dii:

The 5DMKII VIEW CAMERA ? Today's Tomorrow

So this is where our yellow brick would come in handy I guess. So I hope you guys will look for some oldies and put them on your brick and show us here the pictures.

Just to ad something to this thread, since it needs to be distinktive to a general photothread that is also in this K-01 section. So I ask you all to post pictures made with oldies that are not native K-mount. Should leave lots of oppertunity's.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 03-19-2012 at 02:22 PM.
03-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Someone give that man a medal. Remarkable how sharp that thing is.

Figured this thread was going to be about something else entirely...pleasantly surprised though. Nice find!
03-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #3

This is why I am a fanatic about old Zeiss glass. My collection is small and limited to the "aus Jena" variation, but it WILL get bigger!
03-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice find!

03-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I came across this thread, about an almost 100 year old lens used on a Canon 5Dii

PentaxForums member Nesster was able to produce some stunning images using a nearly century-old lens with his Pentax K100D (see here and here). I look forward to seeing some K-01 owners do the same thing.

Last edited by Welfl; 03-19-2012 at 12:23 PM.
03-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Shouldn't this be in the LENSES forum?

My oldest lens is a bit much to mount on a dSLR for handheld use. It's a Gundlach Turner-Reich Anastigmat 12-inch f/7 LF lens+shutter from Rochester NY, circa 1905, that weighs 910g and needs to be on 260mm extension just to reach infinity focus. Yeah, I need a mounting bracket and tripod for it.

But old MF lenses in the 60-120mm range are easy to mount via focusing helicoid or bellows, or tubes for fixed-focus. Old projector lenses (some with Petzval-Portrait-type optics) and copy lenses (often brutally sharp) give interesting results also; and since such lack an iris, they're always wide-open unless we fashion Waterhouse stops or a choke. My lens-of-the-day (LOTD) today is a GoldE Anastigmat 5-inch (127mm) f/3.5 projector lens from Chicago USA, circa 1947, that's on its own basic focus tube. Petzval-oid optics; no iris; weight is 330g, and it cost me US$2.25 shipped.

About the OP: I've seen this kind of trick before with other camera sets. It's a nifty way to use a folder lens without destroying the folder. One of these years, I should make 6x6 and 6x9 cards with PK mount bayonets (from cheap macro tube sets) so I can mount my classic folders on my K20D.
03-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
No, this for pictures made with K-01 and old vintage lenses. I allready have a nice idea, and hope that will work out.
03-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

My oldest lens is a bit much to mount on a dSLR for handheld use. It's a Gundlach Turner-Reich Anastigmat 12-inch f/7 LF lens+shutter from Rochester NY, circa 1905, that weighs 910g and needs to be on 260mm extension just to reach infinity focus. Yeah, I need a mounting bracket and tripod for it.

But old MF lenses in the 60-120mm range are easy to mount via focusing helicoid or bellows, or tubes for fixed-focus. Old projector lenses (some with Petzval-Portrait-type optics) and copy lenses (often brutally sharp) give interesting results also; and since such lack an iris, they're always wide-open unless we fashion Waterhouse stops or a choke. My lens-of-the-day (LOTD) today is a GoldE Anastigmat 5-inch (127mm) f/3.5 projector lens from Chicago USA, circa 1947, that's on its own basic focus tube. Petzval-oid optics; no iris; weight is 330g, and it cost me US$2.25 shipped.

About the OP: I've seen this kind of trick before with other camera sets. It's a nifty way to use a folder lens without destroying the folder. One of these years, I should make 6x6 and 6x9 cards with PK mount bayonets (from cheap macro tube sets) so I can mount my classic folders on my K20D.
Was curious if you have to reverse mount the GoldE?
My gramps gave me a box of high end enlarging lens, all Leica thread so the mechanics to the K-01 should be easy.

03-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WWWench Quote
My gramps gave me a box of high end enlarging lens, all Leica thread so the mechanics to the K-01 should be easy.
And some lovely pictures overhere please :ugh:
03-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WWWench Quote
Was curious if you have to reverse mount the GoldE?
Nope. It came in a focusing tube that screws into a projector. The tube allows the lens to be pulled in and out for rough focusing, or turned on a large helix for fine focus. The tube base has a 1.6in thread, just under 41mm. I wrapped a bit of teflon plumbing tape on the thread and screwed it into a wide-flange M42-PK adapter, then added a short bit of PK macro tubes to push it out towards infinity focus. Add a piece of plastic tube up front to act as a lens hood, and voila!

I have a similar projector lens that lacks the focusing tube, a TDC (Three Dimensional Camera) VIVID Anastigmat 5-inch (127mm) f/3.5, again with no iris. Its body also has a 1.6in rear thread which I taped and screwed into an M42 macro tube. I must mount this on a bellows to focus. Again, I put a bit of plastic tube on the front as a lens hood.

I *could* easily reverse-mount the TDC VIVID but the GoldE isn't really suitable for such treatment, not without too much work for my lazy butt. I haven't really bothered reversing *any* ELs. Some members here report and show superb results with the EL-Nikkor 50/2.8 reversed. Alas, most ELs have no front threads, so reversal takes work. WORK?!?!?! [/me uses Maynard G. Krebs voice]

QuoteQuote:
I go a bit into using enlarger lenses on cameras in https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macro-b...lose-work.html. Basically, ELs longer than 85mm will focus to infinity on a PK camera if used with most bellows (minimum thickness around 35-45mm). ELs in the 60-90mm range work with a focusing helicoid like my 17-35mm no-name M42 item. Shorter ELs probably won't reach infinity on a PK cam and so are just for close work. I use a Leitz Varob 50/3.5 EL on short tubes for fixed focus.