Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
LCD Hood or Shade?

All right - I have encountered a situation where I definitely needed a hood for my LCD screen. I went out "golden hour" shooting this morning and when that sun came up, it was brutal, and I had a terrible time seeing what I was doing.

However, I don't think I will need it a lot, so I don't want something attached permanently nor do I need something uber-expensive. I was looking at this: Kaiser digiShield but does anyone have any experience with attaching the camcorder LCD hoods to a regular camera? Because that seems a little more like what I would need - something to strap on quickly, then could be folded flat and stored away. Plus, the Kaiser product seems made for smaller point-and-shoots and I'm not even sure it would fit the K-01.

Any guidance appreciated.

03-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
Banned

My Meike MK-VF-100 LCDVF is very light and comes with a case ,

QuoteQuote:
The universal magnetic mounting interface allows rapid mounting and demounting without any wear and tear. There are 4 small magnets embedded in the plastic skirt of the LCDVF. The mounting frame acts as an additional safety shield to further ensure your confidence in the magnetic mounting system. These magnets will not damage your camera or any non magnetic media such as CF or SD memory cards.
LCD Viewfinder LCDVF Digital SLR Viewfinder LCDVF B&H Photo

03-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #3

Original Poster
Those are beautiful, but a bit out of my price range just at the moment. I was wondering if anyone has ever rigged one of these type things to work:

Camtrol 3.5" LCD Camshade CAMHS4035 B&H Photo Video
03-20-2012, 05:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
All right - I have encountered a situation where I definitely needed a hood for my LCD screen. I went out "golden hour" shooting this morning and when that sun came up, it was brutal, and I had a terrible time seeing what I was doing.

However, I don't think I will need it a lot, so I don't want something attached permanently nor do I need something uber-expensive. I was looking at this: Kaiser digiShield but does anyone have any experience with attaching the camcorder LCD hoods to a regular camera? Because that seems a little more like what I would need - something to strap on quickly, then could be folded flat and stored away. Plus, the Kaiser product seems made for smaller point-and-shoots and I'm not even sure it would fit the K-01.

Any guidance appreciated.
Actually, the Kaiser digiShield is exactly what i'd want. Something exactly like the folding viewfinder hoods on my LF cameras.

03-20-2012, 06:05 AM   #5

I bought one of those LCD shades that spring out after attaching to the flash shoe socket. It did not work. When in bright light, your face will shine straight into the LCD, defeating the purpose of the fold out device. My experience has been that it takes a Hoodman or similar device to really get a good view of the LCD. So the device blocks the sun from above and from the sides but not from straight back. A hoodman like device will block all directions when your eye is right up to it.

Last edited by djc737; 03-20-2012 at 06:38 AM.
03-20-2012, 07:17 AM   #6

Those are beautiful, but a bit out of my price range just at the moment.
I went to YouTube to see if I could find a video of someone actually using the Hoodman Loupe. I was quickly sidetracked by the following two do-it-yourself videos. If you are the do-it-yourself type (or if someone in your family is), you might find one of these two methods to be a very economical way to build your own LCD hood.

Last edited by Welfl; 03-20-2012 at 07:26 AM.
03-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Welfl Quote
I went to YouTube to see if I could find a video of someone actually using the Hoodman Loupe. I was quickly sidetracked by the following two do-it-yourself videos. If you are the do-it-yourself type (or if someone in your family is), you might find one of these two methods to be a very economical way to build your own LCD hood.
Thank you; I am, in fact, a DIY type, and these two videos have given me a few ideas.

03-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #8

Thank you. I am, in fact, a DIY type.
Thanks. So am I. I like building some things from scratch, and I also love being able to adapt and convert items for use, the way the guy in the second video does.

...these two videos have given me a few ideas.
I hope you are successful and that we will get to see the results!

Last edited by Welfl; 03-20-2012 at 08:31 AM.
03-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
Banned

Photos: Albums
iDC Photo Video FAUER Finder and Camera Plate Z-VF-NEX5 B&H

Giving credit to this link to an item I noticed at B&H. This unit is for the Sony Nex5, and variations of it for other cameras as well, but... The cost may be a bit too much for some. I would personally welcome a version for the K-01. Also noting... The linked version connects via the tripod mount; and I'm assuming that based upon the price of the unit that it also "keeps" a tripod connection for additional use.

I've also seen others that connect via the hotshoe (but may in fact "give-up" the additional use of it for hot shoe flash units. I've also seen connection with magnets, types of tape, and even small versions of bungie cords. Just my personal perspective on this one - I would not prefer the tape.

Also as a (eerrr) suggestion... If anyone commenting on this one could also note how it connects and also their general fit and finish observations.

BTW a friend of mine actually made a medium format hood out of Lego's once and then repainted it. No joke it worked better than average. Unfortunately I can't seem to locate the images I have of it in the many Tera of data that I have.
03-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
BTW a friend of mine actually made a medium format hood out of Lego's once and then repainted it. No joke it worked better than average.
Good idea. That would be fun to see.

Coincidentally, look at the fifth (last) image in this series.
04-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

This works on k-01?
http://www.ebay.es/itm/V3-LCD-Viewfinder-2-8x-3-Magnifier-Eyecup-Hood-for-ca...ht_2465wt_1387

Tnx!
04-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
My Meike MK-VF-100 LCDVF is very light and comes with a case ,

LCD Viewfinder LCDVF Digital SLR Viewfinder LCDVF B&H Photo

Just reading your article about viewfinders for K-01, I do like the features of Meike MK-VF-100 LCDVF magnets do really no harm to media card and cameras but they're known to magnetize LCD Screens. Magnets can reverse the polarity on screens - even TV screens and the damaged is irreversable. You can look up articles of this in the Internet, happens alot to smartphones if the holster case they put it in got a magnetic clip or if you put it close to a magnetic source. Just a word of caution, Meike won't cover your warranty. Cheers.
04-04-2012, 12:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

thanks for your advice
04-04-2012, 01:05 AM   #14
Pentaxian

If you have a source to get it from China, these stuff are dirt cheap at a fraction of the cost you are getting them on ebay.
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=16141228150

Yes, RMB55+RMB15 (internal shipping) = ~US$12
This excludes shipping to US and other handling charges of course.

The problem with the site is that it ships within China.
If you know someone from China, see if they can get it shipped to their relations place and then from there to US.
04-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
If you have a source to get it from China, these stuff are dirt cheap at a fraction of the cost you are getting them on ebay.
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=16141228150

Yes, RMB55+RMB15 (internal shipping) = ~US$12
This excludes shipping to US and other handling charges of course.

The problem with the site is that it ships within China.
If you know someone from China, see if they can get it shipped to their relations place and then from there to US.
That is cheap, I got LCDVF on the way I bought secondhand for 1/3th of the original price, so I'm happy tomorrow. Just have to wait for my K-01 to arrive.