Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I would up just ordering a Delkin shade. The loupes are overkill for my needs, and I found out by investigation that the digiShield is not made for cameras larger than point-and shoots.

04-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #17

Could you let us know if it works and what the part number was with your vendor. Thanks, Dave
04-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
Could you let us know if it works and what the part number was with your vendor. Thanks, Dave
It is just this little thing:

Amazon.com: Delkin Devices DU3.0-M BLK Universal Pop-Up Shade for 3.0-Inch LCDs (Black): Camera & Photo

... and it should arrive today. I'll certainly report back to say if it meets my needs, which are pretty modest. I've only encountered a couple of situations where I felt I really needed a shade for the screen.
04-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #19

I bought a similar one for my GF1 that slide into the hot shoe. Sorry to say the GF1 had a very small LCD so it is useless for any other body I now have. Have not seen that type around anymore for larger sensors.

04-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #20
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dickymastelero Quote
Just reading your article about viewfinders for K-01, I do like the features of Meike MK-VF-100 LCDVF magnets do really no harm to media card and cameras but they're known to magnetize LCD Screens. Magnets can reverse the polarity on screens - even TV screens and the damaged is irreversable. You can look up articles of this in the Internet, happens alot to smartphones if the holster case they put it in got a magnetic clip or if you put it close to a magnetic source. Just a word of caution, Meike won't cover your warranty. Cheers.
The magnet issue effects older box style monitors and televisions far more than flat screens and also monitor screens in cameras. Yet I've also heard of the phone and magnet issue as well.

But also noting... Aren't most iPad covers magnetic to an extent - or basically have metnets in them??

I'll try to research further to see if the monitor in the K-01 is identical to any in the remaining Pentax line; and... If I can find I match on a more woen camera I'll try to field test it; also with a variety of magnets strengths - which btw I believe that a magnets strength is measured is gause or something like that. I'll address this one next week after further research
04-07-2012, 01:34 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
The magnet issue effects older box style monitors and televisions far more than flat screens and also monitor screens in cameras. Yet I've also heard of the phone and magnet issue as well.

But also noting... Aren't most iPad covers magnetic to an extent - or basically have metnets in them??

I'll try to research further to see if the monitor in the K-01 is identical to any in the remaining Pentax line; and... If I can find I match on a more woen camera I'll try to field test it; also with a variety of magnets strengths - which btw I believe that a magnets strength is measured is gause or something like that. I'll address this one next week after further research
04-07-2012, 03:35 AM   #22
Banned

I got my LCDVF in yesterday and put it on my K-5. That looks very nice. My K-5 Silver is a drama in the sun and now it is very good to look. So that is a very nice thing to use.

04-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #23

Did some testing on some Loupes or options I can find in the local stores, I picked the Zacuto Z-finder, Hoodman Loupe ansd SWIVI External Monitor for testing for K-5 and K-01.
Findings:

1. Zacuto Z-finder - #1 on the list but if installed to the K-5 it interferes with the optical viewfinder especially with the Pentax magnifier, will work with the K-01 but to expensive to buy for only one Camera unit. $350 Cdn. no buy.

2. Hoodman Loupe - Available with a 3x magnifier on the Crane Kit, hotshoe unusable with crane kit, ugly kit when installed. $260 Cdn. no buy.

3. SWIVI 5" External Monitor - Good concept, will be able to save battery life of your camera coz your using external monitor, wide view. Downside is a little big for K-01 and unreliable quality, lots of complain with the product. The product we tested is brand new and its faulty already. $350 Cdn. no buy.

Gave up but as I passed by the shelves I've seen the Delkin 3' Pop up Shade, for $20 I'll give it a try. I was very satisfied upon installing it, serves the purpose - don't block 100% of sunlight but useful - I always shoot with the K-5 outdoors and this is only a backup. The sun shade also serves as a very reliable protection for the LCD when storing the camera, and also no need for extra room in your bag. SHADE IS ALSO REMOVABLE.

Saved a lot of money, I will just keep the money for a nice lens or a K-03 which has a viewfinder installed. Enjoy shooting with your K-01 and cheers.

04-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #24

Original Poster
Yes, the Delkin shade looks very attractive installed on the K-01. I was ill today and didn't get a chance to take it outside to see how I like it, but being able to slide the shade out of the frame is a definite plus. My only concern is how flimsy it seems, but hey, I paid less than US$10 for it through Amazon, so it's not like I can complain.
04-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
Yes, the Delkin shade looks very attractive installed on the K-01. I was ill today and didn't get a chance to take it outside to see how I like it, but being able to slide the shade out of the frame is a definite plus. My only concern is how flimsy it seems, but hey, I paid less than US$10 for it through Amazon, so it's not like I can complain.
It won't block the sunlight a 100% but it saves you from using your other hand from covering the LCD. You have a 40mm xs and that will be no worries coz that will focus with no problem even you close your eyes, if your using a old lens and always fighting to focus it manually then this can be a hassle.

I've tried older manual focus lens on my K20D, K-X and K-5, I got rid of all those old lenses even they create good pictures - I bought all newer AF lenses, mostly primes the best Pentax have. The reason for this is I want to benefit the best of the AF system the newer Pentax cameras can offer with AF lenses, don't get me wrong that using manual lens is bad but its 2 steps ahead of getting used to using new technology.

I find that using newer Pentax AF lenses such as the DA, DA-L, FA, and D-FA with K-01 is no problem with picture quality once it's properly setup, as faster lens (lower F number) really makes the AF speed faster. Using aftermarket lenses like Sigma or Tamron is a issue to coz those lenses mostly need to be calibrated with the AF system, which unfortunately not a feature of K-01.

Keep shooting with all your lenses then check it at your computer, see who has the most consistent result then keep using those lens with your K-01 and those are the lenses made for your K-01. Cheers.
04-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote

I mentioned magnetism on LCD screens because one of my smartphones got magnetized. I have a HTC Desire smartphone that was magnetize by a small button on the leather belt holster I kept it in time to time. I have post some pictures for you to see, I have to install a SCREEN FILTER APPS to be able to see the screen properly, the normal state of the whole screen(magnetized) right now is full of purple pigments.:

1. This is its normal state right now - magnetized and full of purple pigments, pictures are unviewable.

This is with the Android Screen Filter Apps - turns it back to normal but dims the display to 50%.

You can clearly see the difference, K-01 has modern LCD and so as my smartphone. Cheers.
05-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Just found this would be suitable for a K-01 or a Q
Vello 3" Glass LCD Screen Protector GSP-3 B&H Photo Video

Theres a review from a K5 owner saying it fits well and helps the direct light situation.
07-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #28
Inactive Account

or you can directly buy it here! It is said can be paid by PayPal

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
If you have a source to get it from China, these stuff are dirt cheap at a fraction of the cost you are getting them on ebay.
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=16141228150

Yes, RMB55+RMB15 (internal shipping) = ~US$12
This excludes shipping to US and other handling charges of course.

The problem with the site is that it ships within China.
If you know someone from China, see if they can get it shipped to their relations place and then from there to US.
or you can directly buy it here! It is said can be paid by PayPal. and can be shipped to US. or you can chat with the merchant online after you enter into the site.

Taobao agent Camera LCD magnifying glass LCD viewfinder LCD Hood V4 SONY NEX3, NEX5 - BuyChina.com
08-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I have found the K-01 does not have direct sunlight problems. It's been intense sunny here and what I've noticed is that the screen gets washed when hit at a certain angle by the sun. But I also have a hard protective cover on my k-01 that probably helps with the glare, I get pretty much zero washout or glare on my screen unless the sun is coming from the side swiping the screen...
03-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #30
Veteran Member

This may sound silly, but on the K-01 with an AF lens, you can just hold a baseball cap in your left hand to shield the sun, and the camera in your right. Or turn the baseball cap brim to right or left if you need both hands for the camera.

Another option -- a sombrero-type hat with a very large brim. ¡Aieee, LCDistas!