Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #1

Was out with GF1 today, EVF was a necessity

Went with my grand kids to Cape May for the day today and brought my GF1. It was a very bright and sunny day. I originally did not have the EVF on when we arrived. There was no way one could use the LCD to do anything. I know LCDs have improved over the years but how much is the question. There was only a vaguest outline of the scene on it. Popped on the EVF and continued without a problem for the rest of the day.
I love the idea of the K-01 but the lack of any EVF is just a real barrier for me to cross. This is such a pain. You get either AF with no way to see what you are doing unless you add an LCD hood or you get great viewing under any condition with only MF lenses. I am not interested in getting a new set of primes. What's a guy to do. Bummer.

03-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Banned

You have the K-5 so why would you want the K-01 unless you want better video mode. My LCDVF pops on the K-01 in a second.

03-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #3

Been out with my new k-01 for three days now, only one of which was sunny. The problem that day was not with the screen so much as with the sun in my eyes even when shooting at a tangential angle. My eye not being right up against a viewfinder was the issue. As for the screen itself in those situations, if I used one hand as a shade I was able to see enough to frame the image, while relying on the single-spot autofocus. For an example, see my shot of the Blue Heron in the "best photos" thread - the sun was at my 2:00 but I managed to fight through it.

I can't tell you whether the K-01's screen is better or worse than average, but I agree it's a problem, although more an annoyance than an impossibility for me. I wear glasses and viewfinders give me trouble - I'm either having to take my glasses off & on to shoot then review. If I wear the glasses, I can't get my eye socket close enough to block the stray light. So it's LCD for me. For better or worse.

I really wish they had made the LCD a vertical folding screen a la NEX5 & 7 so the camera could be used Rolleiflex style - that would have helped a lot. I think Pentax maybe dropped the ball there. Maybe on the next model.
03-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
My LCDVF pops on the K-01 in a second.
Are you happy with that rig? Do you like the camera?

Cheers.

03-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mervis Quote
Are you happy with that rig? Do you like the camera?

Cheers.
I have been shooting videos with my K-7 since early July 2009 so I know how to use just the LCD. I have Panasonic GH2,GH1 and TM700 3MOS 1080p60 camcorder that all have EVFs but I use the LCD most of the time . Yes, I like the K-01.
03-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I first interpreted the subject as: "I was out with Girl-Friend #1 today. Extra-Vehicular Frolicking was a necessity." Do I need therapy?
03-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I first interpreted the subject as: "I was out with Girl-Friend #1 today. Extra-Vehicular Frolicking was a necessity." Do I need therapy?
No, but maybe a hug...