Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by John Poitiers Quote
If you're a "schmuck", I hate to think what I might be ... J
I grew up in a community that spoke Yiddish as a first language - so I know whereof I speak.

03-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
For dpreview this was a decidedly fair preview, excepting the error about aperture coupling and stop-down metering pre-KA lenses. I'm just a schmuck from St. Louis and I figured that out the second day. without help from the manual, which help doesn't exist - more's the pity.
In their defense, why do I keep saying that??, they did point out that they had a pre-production model. Also, the came to a LOT of the same conclusions that I have seem posted here by Adam and owners about things like the Green button placement, etc.
03-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
What is the difference between lenses designed for phase detection AF and for Contrast detection AF?
I think they were referring to the rest of the camera body, not the lenses.
"On the one hand, the K-mount means that the camera can use a vast range of legacy and current Pentax lenses - avoiding the lens drought that early system adopters usually have to endure. On the other hand, the K-01 is a contrast-detect camera in a system designed for phase-detection autofocus, a combination that has rarely resulted in great AF speed."

Though they don't explain that statement in the brief preview I suspect they are referring to the software relationship to the screw-drive and SDM motors - the implementation regularly drives the focusing ring through the entire travel since it needs to move "beyond focus," then come back. PDAF estimates current focus and decides which way to turn the focusing ring to achieve focus. Pentax's implementation of PDAF has a "second step" so it has a higher hit rate but slower overall speed than many other algorithms.
03-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Just "wiki"-ed schmuck ... wow jewelry

I grew up in a community that spoke Yiddish as a first language - so I know whereof I speak.
As Johnny Carson used to say, "I did not know that!" ... it's a stronger term than I realized!

What I meant, monochrome, is that you, by far, are not a "schmuck" in my books given all that I have read and learned through your posts ... I wish I had a tenth of your knowledge/expertise. Enough said ... J

03-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Dp who???
03-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
In their defense, why do I keep saying that??, they did point out that they had a pre-production model. Also, the came to a LOT of the same conclusions that I have seem posted here by Adam and owners about things like the Green button placement, etc.
IIANM the K-01 shares the same crippled KAF2 mount for pre-KA lenses that Pentax dSLRs beginning with the K10D have used. DPR should know this, unless they picked up a change I've missed so far. There are some quirks to this camera (TAv buried under M Mode, for instance), but the range and quality of features, construction and image output are outstanding for the price - actually compelling - and I, for one, like the visual design and ergonomics.
03-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Looks like DP Review doesn't know how Pentax does stop down metering.
"Also, because the K-01 doesn't have an aperture coupling, it has no way of working out what aperture a pre-1983 (pre-KA) lens is set to. Instead you have to use the green button, which stops down the lens and sets the shutter speed to the metered value for that aperture. This isn't necessary for KA and newer lenses."

Given the the crippled mount, isn't that exactly how Pentax does metering? Using the Green button kludge?

Perhaps DPreview are coming at this camera with expectations set by other mirrorless systems, where this malarkey is simply not necessary.
03-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
"Also, because the K-01 doesn't have an aperture coupling, it has no way of working out what aperture a pre-1983 (pre-KA) lens is set to. Instead you have to use the green button, which stops down the lens and sets the shutter speed to the metered value for that aperture. This isn't necessary for KA and newer lenses."

Given the the crippled mount, isn't that exactly how Pentax does metering? Using the Green button kludge?

Perhaps DPreview are coming at this camera with expectations set by other mirrorless systems, where this malarkey is simply not necessary.
Give it up Robin. Before they changed the text they wrote that you have to shoot pre-KA lenses wide-open.

03-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #24
Veteran Member

IIANM the K-01 shares the same crippled KAF2 mount for pre-KA lenses that Pentax dSLRs beginning with the K10D have used. DPR should know this, unless they picked up a change I've missed so far. There are some quirks to this camera (TAv buried under M Mode, for instance), but the range and quality of features, construction and image output are outstanding for the price - actually compelling - and I, for one, like the visual design and ergonomics.
They indicated, several times, that they know that there will be fans and detractors based on the design. They also stated, clearly I thought, that they awaited a production model to speak to IQ and other operational issues. Frankly, it was not a fan-boy review but it wasn't a bad one IMHO.
03-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

As I originally wrote, I thought the preview was decidely fair for DPR, excepting the (now corrected) error stating MF lenses could only shoot wide-open.
03-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #26
Veteran Member

As I originally wrote, I thought the preview was decidely fair for DPR, excepting the (now corrected) error stating MF lenses could only shoot wide-open.
I realize that the K-01 has gotten an unfair amount of hazing from many. I'm glad that they are going to do a review on the production model.
03-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I think they are very interested to test it. I believe also they applaud Pentax to be bold in creating new product
03-22-2012, 12:25 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
What is the difference between lenses designed for phase detection AF and for Contrast detection AF?
Good question. I would also like to know if there is anything else other than the fact that CDAF lenses are built such that they can be focused faster - they are basically optimized for AF because the focus by wire means that their MF operation is decoupled from AF.

For example, DA lenses have shorter focus throw than FA ones which have shorter focus than A lenses - I guess they could have made the throw even shorter on the DA, but they are still trying to allow MF to be feasible, so it's still a compromise, because MF and AF need to share the same mechanical operation. On a focus by wire lens, you can make the internal mechanical focusing as quick as you can, and then the focusing ring is just an interface that can have the throw of a MF lens, because it is not controlling anything directly through a mechanical link - it just communicates to the lens how much the user desires to change focus and the lens can make fine adjustments that couldn't be done manually.

I am not sure what exactly they can tweak through lens firmware updates - there may be something there as well in terms of improving AF performance, although I would expect most of the other improvements to come from the CDAF algorithms used by the camera.
03-22-2012, 12:31 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Give it up Robin. Before they changed the text they wrote that you have to shoot pre-KA lenses wide-open.
Well, isn't that the idea that most Pentax users get when they first mount a K lens after being told that "any K mount lens ever made will work on your Pentax camera!"
03-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I guess I'm supposed to magically know that an error has been corrected?

Everything I stated is factually true. Sorry if that gets you all annoyed.