Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I believe that the ACTUAL Dp® guys are OK, but the forums are becoming bloated because of the sheer mass of people there. With any overall increase of numbers you get an increase of idiots.
The members can't delete posts they don't like..........

03-27-2012, 11:47 PM   #47
rjm
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
The person who accused them of bias would be me.

This is my opinion and I have come to conclude it after being member there from year 2005 and visiting that site almost everyday from that day.

It is too difficult to link to every small thing that has happened and forced me to conclude it. So just take it as someone's opinion. Agreeing or disagreeing to this opinion is upto the reader.
I guess I outrank you then, since I've been reading dpreview since at least before 2002. Though far, far from every day. Perish the thought!

What you have to understand is that cameras are judged by dpreview consistently, and fairly, with respect to some pre-defined criteria that can be best summed up as "how would Mr. Everyman rate this camera?" Feature lists and perceived value are rewarded more than the "intangeables" that are appreciated by the few rather than the many.

So one of my favorite cameras, the Ricoh GRD, got slammed pretty badly. Despite having amazing build quality, more than amazing lens, and a control system far more advanced that any competitor at the time, it was taken to task for being expensive and not having a zoom lens. However, that's fair because that's indeed how "Mr Everyman" perceived that camera.

That said, all Pentax dSLRs have been highly rated by dpreview ever since the K100D. The small criticisms that were made were all merited. The AF on the K10D, sensor quality on the K20D and K-7, somewhat behind-the-curve feature set on the K-m, and K-r. The K-5 was given a rave, and the K-x also.

The K-01 is going to get slammed for being big, uncomfortable, and for having a less than ideal control layout. It's going to get crushed by the OM-D or whatever that silly squished facade of a camera is called. Seen through the prism of how dpreview judges cameras, you can expect no other outcome.
03-28-2012, 04:14 AM   #48
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rjm Quote
Seen through the prism of how dpreview judges cameras, you can expect no other outcome.

I was once offered a position working for DPReview; and made some (shall we state) interesting discoveries during the interview process; and after submitting to written , but unpublished reviews. I'm quite glad I turned it down
03-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
I was once offered a position working for DPReview; and made some (shall we state) interesting discoveries during the interview process; and after submitting to written , but unpublished reviews. I'm quite glad I turned it down
Do tell! No, don't.

03-28-2012, 07:32 AM   #50
Pentaxian

"Enquiring minds want to know ... "

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Bonjour,

Please do tell ... and it'll stay just amongst us ...

Salut et à vous lire prochainement, J Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 03-28-2012 at 08:54 AM.
03-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In general, I have felt like Dp review's reviews are usually pretty balanced, up till the conclusions. It often seems like one author will write the main body of the review and then someone else will summarize it -- often with conclusions that seem at odds with the main body of the review.

I don't particularly put too much stock into previews, since there will be a review that follows that is more thorough and hopefully informative. I am not sure why they delete comments that are not out of line, but that is why I don't go over there much. Seems like this forum is a lot more open, with discussions continuing freely as long as folks stay in-bounds.
03-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
In general, I have felt like Dp review's reviews are usually pretty balanced, up till the conclusions. It often seems like one author will write the main body of the review and then someone else will summarize it -- often with conclusions that seem at odds with the main body of the review.
I second that.

03-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poitiers Quote
Bonjour,

Please do tell ... and it'll stay just amongst us ...
Yeah right
03-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I ain't Joe Everyman.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

I don't particularly put too much stock into previews, since there will be a review that follows that is more thorough and hopefully informative. I am not sure why they delete comments that are not out of line, but that is why I don't go over there much. Seems like this forum is a lot more open, with discussions continuing freely as long as folks stay in-bounds.
Pretty much sums up what I think, even though I wrote a couple critical posts about the dustup. I am more annoyed by what felt like a sloppy error than the pre-conclusion, and I wrote and still believe the corrected preview is fair. I'm always upset that they don't leave comments in place.

Once it was corrected I thought the preview was actually pretty good, essentially, "Potential for great images, but we don't understand the design." That last is the critical element of all reactions to the K-01 - "We don't undertand the design."

I bought one. I like it on first impression. I understand the vision (large body, small lenses) but I don't understand the design implementation yet, I don't think. I've made 485 clicks for maybe 5 real photographs. I'm doing my best to change my thinking and habits to make the design implementation work and I believe I'll get there - then I'll love certain bits and hate other bits and ignore most of the bits and take pictures. I do wonder about the utility of having to change so much habit to get the implementation to work - but that's Pentax.

I hate the manual. If this is what all new dSLR purchasers go through when they get a new camera then I now know why the vast majority of dSLR users are reported to never shoot anything other than Auto. Tell me how to use the damned thing, not what every button changes!! I only care what a combination of buttons and Menu Settings does to the final image - or how to coax what I see onto the card. To get this, set that!! Screw the SCN Modes. Tell me the underlying settings and let me do them myself. That's all the fun!! Gone are the days of 24 page, 4x6, saddle-stapled user manuals. Good Grief, 272 pages of 8pt. type.

Why isn't there a Herbert Keppler book for today's cameras?

DPR will do the same thing I'm doing - they'll make a lot of clicks. They'll love certain bits and hate other bits and ignore most of the bits and take pictures of some bottles and clocks and rulers and crayons. They'll write their full Review. I likely won't agree with it. Unfortunately I do not believe they will judge the camera with an open mind.

Everyman and all that. I guess I ain't Joe Everyman.
03-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #55
Banned

It's nice to see consensus in a PF thread for a change!

I concur as well - I find dpreview useful for their technical sheets and product images and descriptions, not their commentary.
03-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #56
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Why isn't there a Herbert Keppler book for today's cameras?

I wouldn't mind working on that one, but... It would unfortunately first cater to the major sellers; such as Canon, Nikon, and such. Plus there's the downside that the last major bookstore (B&N) is most likely on the end of their era. So it would be difficult to find the backing to publish just about any book right about now. Even Ansel would be disappointed right about now