Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2012, 04:54 AM   #1

Getting FA 43 instead of K-01

I really, really, really wanted to like the K-01. I loved the idea of using my beautiful Pentax limiteds with a somewhat smaller and lighter body with more accurate contrast detection focusing. I could fit a nice selection in a belly pack with the K-01 and be off for a nice nature walk. Then it was announced. No EVF! I have read the reviews and decided to try a nature walk with my K-5 plus a Hoodman. It was a very bright day so the LCD was useless in LV. Added the Hoodman and yes you could use it but compared to the OVF, well there was no comparison. When trying to do accurate macro shots, the OVF just ran rings around the LCD even with the Hoodman magnifier. It was just an untenable situation to use on a regular basis.

As an added incentive, I went to the shore with my grand kids a few days ago. Brought my GF1. It also was a very bright day and I tried to frame images using the ghost of an outline on the lcd and it just did not work. Added the EVF, and this is a lousy EVF, and was set for the day. I just can't do it. All that stinking empty space could have easily made room for an EVF. Made the price $1000 and be done with it. Add to that, poor ergonomics, lousy button placement, rubber covers over access doors and you have a camera I just can't love let alone like. This, of course, is just for me and my needs, YMMV.

Well as my headline states, I always did want the FA 43 as a smaller option for walk abouts. Just pack my 5MD bag with the K-5, 21, 43, and 77. Set for a nice street photo day. As for Pentax ILC maybe the next model not designed by a non-photographer or possibly the soon to be released with 100% OVF K-x. Even if lower pixel count, I could still use a lighter and smaller body some of the time.

Last edited by djc737; 03-22-2012 at 06:32 AM.
03-22-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
On one infered perspective point; I agree the K-01 is not for everyone. But then again; after thirty plus years in photography I have yet to find the true ideal solution.

But then again, I'm also a proud K-01 owner, yet it is far from being the only camera that I use. I have used the K-01 in almost every conceivable type of photograph and enviroment - minus not yet using it on ultra high mountain climbing - but that one is coming soon. I've had it on beaches on a sunny day and even in white out conditions during a show storm with visibility near zero. Is the screen perfect under all of those conditions - not quite, but it is one of the better screens that I've seen on most any digital camera.

I have used a version of a barndoor; three sided cover and also a hoodman (although it was not a matched unit to the camera). The three sided device worked a majority of the time when needed. The Hoodman worked prefectly. Plus I'm still presently working on two additional options for the camera...

Adding the "unintended" optical viewfinder onto the hotshoe later; it was made for the Pentax Q; but I'll be somewhat adapting it for the K-01. Also still working on having a type of non optical viewfinder fabricated for the camera.

Again, is the K-01 a perfect camera - no, but what is??

I'm personally glad that I did purchase the K-01; on a professional level, for personal use, and strictly for creative use.
03-22-2012, 06:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Adding the "unintended" optical viewfinder onto the hotshoe later; it was made for the Pentax Q; but I'll be somewhat adapting it for the K-01. Also still working on having a type of non optical viewfinder fabricated for the camera.
Adding a optical viewfinder to a mirrorless camera? Why not get a K5 then? I think the K5 might be the perfect camera.
03-22-2012, 06:45 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Careful judging the suitability of lcd viewing on K-01 by the performance of your DSLR in LV mode. It isn't comparable. K-01 has higher quality LV. It also has focus peaking for manual focus. Find the lcd very helpful for macro. Only wish it swiveled.
thanks
barondla ( don't care how the camera looks only what it allows me to do)

K5 is almost perfect. But for me the blocky K-01 is more comfortable to hold in my small hands.

03-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Apparently a good lens will be of much more use to you than a new body. However, you might want to wait to see what Pentax will be announcing (the K-z or whatever). There are rumours it will have a 100% viewfinder, which might be attractive.
03-22-2012, 07:31 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Apparently a good lens will be of much more use to you than a new body. However, you might want to wait to see what Pentax will be announcing (the K-z or whatever). There are rumours it will have a 100% viewfinder, which might be attractive.
Yes, it is an attractive option. For my needs, the 100% VF plus 16 Mpixels in a lighter less robust body would suite me fine. Even a lower Mpixel count would work as long as the OVF was as specified. I don't always need high speed or solid build on a nature walk.
03-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Adding a optical viewfinder to a mirrorless camera? Why not get a K5 then? I think the K5 might be the perfect camera.
I was actually waiting to get the K-5 with the silver accents, but... Now that I see the price difference with the presently running sale; I'll wait and see what happens - possibly an eventual sale on the silver model as well. Although not on this forum yet; as far as I'm aware... Is anyone else heard about a titanium version of the K-5?? If so then that would also be worth waiting for the initial release; then I'll again be first in line for it.

Plus I've run into the wall. The K-01 actually makes me want to go out and spend a good portion of ones yearly paycheck. It's my intention to re-fill up a rather large gadget bag (LowePro DZ 200 - guess what... it would match the yellow K-01 if I had that version). I could easily spend 10k on more goodies in addition to the ones that I already have.

A possible issue that the K-5 possibly does not have; that I really like about the K-01 - the focus peaking.
03-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
A possible issue that the K-5 possibly does not have; that I really like about the K-01 - the focus peaking.
I had planned to get a K-5 this spring but I was seduced by the siren song of Focus Peaking. Now I'll wait for the successor to see whether it, also, is so blessed. If not I'll get a low-mileage K-5 on the Forum.

03-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Funny. I just posted in the FA 31 LTD club that I just did the same thing. Although I bought the 31 instead of the 43. I went for a lens instead of a body for the same reasons.
04-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #10

Original Poster
Well my new FA 43 arrives today. I have gone round and round with the K-01 and just as I get a little softhearted and think of buying one, someone else drops another complaint or exposes another weird behavior. I just can't spend that kind of money on a tool that may work for me some of the time but fight me the rest of the time. This may take till the K-02 arrives to be settled for me. In the mean time, I am using my wife's Olympus EPL-1 with my macro gear, DFA 50 and 100, for more accurate focusing. This has been the problem all along. All my other lenses with some focus adjustment get very, very close to and/or dead on in most images. Some of it is me of course but in macro with paper thin DOF, a mm forward or back can wreck the image. With the MILCs contrast detection off the sensor, I know I have the image nailed just as I want it. The FA 43 also gives the the lighter travel kit I wanted. I will now carry the DA 15 and 21 plus the FA 43 and 77 when out and about on the street. One lens on my K-5 and three plus accessories in a belly pack. The FA 31 is kind of odd man out as the filter size is different and it is a bit bigger than the others. Yes, I like to travel very light. Also the 21 and 31 were too close in view for my liking and I preferred the wider angle of the 21 over the somewhat tighter 31. I guess I need to thank the price increase for motivating me but it ended up being one of the lenses not increased after all. Well I wanted it and now I have it. Now to see if the sharpest prime out there is also the sharpest prime in my bag. To be seen...

Dave
04-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Funny. I just posted in the FA 31 LTD club that I just did the same thing. Although I bought the 31 instead of the 43. I went for a lens instead of a body for the same reasons.
I also picked up the 43 last week, so now I have all three!

04-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I just sold my DA 40 to fund an ultrawide or a sport zoom, but I also keep thinking about the FA43. It's a relative bargain at the moment. I think I'll wait and see what Ned's announcement will be before I pull the trigger.
04-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #13
Site Supporter

In two weeks of bright sunny days in Argentina I was never stopped from taking a shot because of the lack of a viewfinder. In fact, there were opportunities for ground level shots which would have been very awkward without LCD live view.

Last night I picked up the K-5 for the first time since my return; it felt strangely uncomfortable putting it to my face!!
04-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #14

Original Poster
Well just did some none tripod mounted but fast shutter speed images using the FA 43mm and I am impressed. This is my new street lens for sure. Also landscapes are incredible crisper at 100%. While maybe not superseding some of my other primes, it is one of the best I have used. I am happy.