Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #31
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
this is why I pay absolutely no attention to any review sites. they are all biased in some manner, practically all of them are against pentax right out of the gate, and nobody does any real world testing. sites like DPR are nothing more than a virtual slug fest arena for people with too much time on their hands and too much pathetic brand loyalty. I also firmly believe that sites like DPR much like most photo magazines are paid by companies to positively review and promote their brands over others. a complete waste of time. if I want to get a review of a camera, I will turn to real world reviews like we often see here on the forums, or ill go handle the thing myself in my own hands. anything beyond that is pointless. no way, will I let my feathers get ruffled by places like DPR. I've now handled the K-01 and in all honesty, while not for me, I can tell its an excellent and very capable camera. personally I don't think we, as a community should even be giving DPR press here on the forums, negative or otherwise.
The real issue is that one the Amazon pre-order page for the D800 there is a DIRECT LINK to the (no dount glowing) DPR review of the . . . wait for it . . . D800. I wonder who paid for that.

03-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #32

Amazon owns dpreview... no pay, it was free.
03-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimntonik Quote
True, and another reason to wonder why they don't have a production K-01 to test?
03-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
...no way, will I let my feathers get ruffled by places like DPR.
Agree on a personal level. But I do worry about the effect negative spin and misinformation will have on sales, which is why I'm pushing back a little bit.

03-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mervis Quote
Agree on a personal level. But I do worry about the effect negative spin and misinformation will have on sales, which is why I'm pushing back a little bit.
I've been a defender of DPReview here because their reviews of both the K-x and K-5 helped me and I found them balanced and informative. I made a simple comment in the K-01 preview comments section about one poster with lots of negative to say about the K-01 having admitted he hadn' t even touched or seen one in person. Very short and polite while on point. It was deleted!

Lost a good bit of respect for them tonight.
03-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Lost a good bit of respect for them tonight.
Whhaaaaaaaa? I think the surprising thing here is "you had respect for them"....
03-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Whhaaaaaaaa? I think the surprising thing here is "you had respect for them"....
Laugh all you want, they did a solid job on the K-x and K-5 reviews. Deleting a comment that says "Interesting that you have such a strong opinion on a camera you admit you have never seen or touched." when its true strikes me as heavy handed. Been there done that on Watch forums in the past. No need for me to put up with it ever again.
03-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #38
Veteran Member

It seems to me they made a bit of an error and then corrected there mistake rather quickly. I would imagine it was rather embarasing for them to be honnest lol.
Ive still got every respect for them though.

03-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #39
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jimntonik Quote
I did not know this. now that I do, I will absolutely never give DPR any credit. if you are owned by one the worlds largest retailers who undoubtedly wants to sell as many high end cameras as possible, you can't even begin to get me to believe that their reviews don't come with pre-installed bias. no matter how thorough a review may be, I will only believe it is being guided by the strong hand of amazon. there is no way it can't be, and one would be really naive to believe otherwise. I will admit to having read their review of the K-5, and I agree with others, that it was a decent review, but that doesn't really change anything, as the K-5 as hailed by pretty much all as an incredible camera. therefore it was in amazons best interest to push it for sales. I think ill leave places like this to the fanboys and gear heads with more money than sense and more interest in toys than photography.
03-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I did not know this. now that I do, I will absolutely never give DPR any credit. if you are owned by one the worlds largest retailers who undoubtedly wants to sell as many high end cameras as possible, you can't even begin to get me to believe that their reviews don't come with pre-installed bias.
Why do you think DPReview can make people buy more high end cameras? Clearly, someone who had an interest in the K-01 and is deterred by DPReview won't splash out for a D800 instead. They will look for a similarly priced model from another manufacturer.

Yet, Amazon / DPReview has no interest in pushing particular brands. As far as Amazon is concerned, it does not matter which product they are selling. As a result, the only influence you could expect from Amazon on DPReview could be that there be no bad reviews.

However, that's clearly not the case. The K-01 preview is an example for something that could have spun more positively, if DPReview prioritised Amazon sales over customer information.

Last edited by Class A; 03-22-2012 at 08:01 PM.
03-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #41

Photos: Gallery
Someone who is looking at a purchase in this price range will want a variety of opinions, not just DPReview's, so the more opinions that are out there, the better; especially from people who have actually used this camera for a reasonably length of time, unlike certain reviewers and bystanders. I put up a review of the K-01 on Amazon earlier tonight. I'm not a "gearhead"; I simply wrote out why I bought it and why I am happy with my purchase. I also noted the things that I feel could be better about the camera.

Other K-01 owners might want to do the same.
03-23-2012, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #42
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Why do you think DPReview can make people buy more high end cameras? Clearly, someone who had an interest in the K-01 and is deterred by DPReview won't splash out for a D800 instead.
that doesn't make any sense. DPR could easily sway people to a particular brand or model, by giving a glowing review but a less than glowing review about another model from a different brand that competes against it, if amazon knew that one model say a nikon would likely sell far more units than say a pentax model. it has nothing to do with a d800 versus k-01 or the k-01 in general. come now, you really think your comparison made any sense?

Yet, Amazon / DPReview has no interest in pushing particular brands. As far as Amazon is concerned, it does not matter which product they are selling. As a result, the only influence you could expect from Amazon on DPReview could be that there be no bad reviews.
and you can prove that? I think the burden of proof would be on you here, as its would be might hard to say that Amazon DIDNT have an interest in pushing sales. why else would amazon own a site like DPR? no bad reviews? that also makes no sense. they need to retain a certain level of legitimacy and practicality here.

However, that's clearly not the case. The K-01 preview is an example for something that could have spun more positively, if DPReview prioritised Amazon sales over customer information.
knowing Pentax's sale record on amazon, I'm fairly certain, that the immediate negative response the K-01 has garnered since its introduction was a clear signal that Amazon isn't going to sell as many as it would like. please don't tell me you are naive enough to believe amazon doesn't use DPR as a tool for its retail business? it should be plain as day. wether they have anything against pentax i don't know, but Pentax sales figures means that a company like amazon would be more profitable pushing other models and other brands. I'm not saying thats exactly whats happening here with the K-01 preview, what I'm saying is that its just highly unlikely that Amazon doesn't own DPR for very specific reasons and that in my view makes DPR untrustworthy, therefore not worth my time. too much chance for bias and heavy handedness from their owner.
03-23-2012, 06:45 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

Why do you think DPReview can make people buy more high end cameras? Clearly, someone who had an interest in the K-01 and is deterred by DPReview won't splash out for a D800 instead. They will look for a similarly priced model from another manufacturer.

I think that unless Amazon has a completely hands off approach, there is concern that they are manipulating the site to push buyers towards cameras where they make more profit. Since I have no idea which cameras those are, it is difficult to know for certain how much manipulation is truly going on.

Certainly overall, DP Review is just pushing purchasers towards Amazon (rather than towards B and H or Adorama). The concern is if Amazon can manipulate the market towards items where they make a larger profit.
03-23-2012, 06:47 AM   #44
Lens Buying Addict

I'd sure like to know why Amazon bought DPReview in the first place. What was the profit motive? Why would they give good money to a man who basically sits at a desk arranging electrons and photons?

Figure that out and then you'll know what Amazon needs to do to maximize profit while simultaneously reducing risk. Maximizing profit with more certainty and less risk is the only thng that matters.
03-23-2012, 07:16 AM   #45
JPT
Pentaxian

I think it's going a bit far to say that DPR is anti-Pentax. As previous posts have mentioned, they have published some very positive reviews of Pentax DSLRs over the years. In fact, their review of the K20D was a large part of why I first got into Pentax.

Instead, they seem to have a bias against niche cameras which don't fit neatly into the main categories. It was first brought home to me with the Ricoh GR Digital. I bought it on release and loved it. Their review six months later said a lot of nice things about it but their verdict was pretty negative. A couple of years ago, they said the GXR system had the best image quality and interface of any mirrorless camera and then concluded the whole concept was flawed. More recently they gave the Nikon 1 cameras a negative review. The K-01 definitely seems like an unorthadox camera to me.

I think commenting about the ergonomics of a camera is totally valid in a review because it's the kind of insight you can't get from looking at a picture. Criticising the appearance is less useful, especially since most of the world thinks that DSLRs are all ugly. If you dislike how the K-01 looks, it's just a new kind of ugly. If you like it, it's an improvement. I happen to like it.