Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They have a reputation to protect. Lack of care and attention to detail can be a reputation destroyer.

I might be inclined to grant them the benefit of the doubt - at first I was - were it not so apparent that they got caught posting a hasty, ill researched and basically incorrect Preview of a new product releassed by a valid and long-term industry purveyor - nay, the #3 ILC camera maker.

You just reaffirmed my point - the preview isn't opinion, it is facts. There can be no opinion because there has been no test. They got the basic facts wrong because they were sloppy, inattentive and hasty. Given DPR's influence they could very well have killed the product through their own shoddy work, which is worse than prejudice.

Huh?

I've not said they are biased. I've said they are lazy, inattentive hacks who got basic facts wrong in a front page Preview article on a product made by a company they don't care about. But I never said they are biased.
Sorry I was refering to the thread in genral, not you personly with the biased thing.

03-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #62
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
Sorry I was refering to the thread in genral, not you personly with the biased thing.
Well it is good to keep ourselves distinct from the conspiracy theorists.

I'm really pretty disappointed. The errors are so very unfortunate and unprofessional appearing. So unnecessary becasue once corrected the review was fair. IMHO they'd have extinguished a great deal of the fire and actually demonstrated good favor if they'd done a better mea culpa.
03-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Well it is good to keep ourselves distinct from the conspiracy theorists.

I'm really pretty disappointed. The errors are so very unfortunate and unprofessional appearing. So unnecessary becasue once corrected the review was fair. IMHO they'd have extinguished a great deal of the fire and actually demonstrated good favor if they'd done a better mea culpa.
Stifling discussion by deleting non-offensive comments does not bode well for any such site. DPR made mistakes, fanboys jumped on anyone who commented on those errors, then if you pointed out that the fanboys really were making stuff up given that they hadn't even seen one in person and the comments get deleted (and yes others have reported that their comments were deleted too) its just a sign of a very rigid and intolerant Mod team and tone for a site.
03-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #64
Lens Buying Addict

Yes, I agree entirely. I never go there at all but I was curious about the brouhaha. Of course this place wasn't a whole hell of a lot of fun for a few weeks there, either. Funny how the tone changes dramatically if you Ignore just three posters, and then the images from the camera start appearing.

I plan to mount every lens I own tomorrow - cherry blossoms down the lane - then Camera Pr0n every lens I own and post them in my Album.

03-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #65
Site Supporter

I'll be excited to see your photos monochrome!

No single camera is perfect for every person and there are those that just like to argue. At the end of the day, I feel like the photos will speak the loudest. I am enjoying seeing what those who have the K-01 have posted.

Cheers!
03-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Yes, I agree entirely. I never go there at all but I was curious about the brouhaha. Of course this place wasn't a whole hell of a lot of fun for a few weeks there, either. Funny how the tone changes dramatically if you Ignore just three posters, and then the images from the camera start appearing.

I plan to mount every lens I own tomorrow - cherry blossoms down the lane - then Camera Pr0n every lens I own and post them in my Album.
Well have a great day
03-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #67
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
Well have a great day
Well I'm certainly learning a lot about my limitations!!
03-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I hate forum wars, seriously. Lived through several in the watch world and they are nothing but trouble. As for who pays for the direct link to DPReview, I wonder.......
I occasionally visit the watch forums. Since I recently just purchased a couple of new watches, I was going through a few. I saw your username and wondered if it was the same person.

So, what are you wearing today? edit - Just noticed your avatar. Are you Sinning today?

Oh, and back to somewhat on-topic, how do you find the K-01 for watch photography?

03-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Things that make me go Hmmmmm - the D800 Buy Page on Amazon has a direct link to the DPR preview - DIRECT LINK - I wonder who paid for that and whether it affects the review of the camera.
Well, Amazon owns DPR, so it makes sense to me. In fact, I wonder why all the Amazon camera pages don't link to the DPR reviews.
03-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I occasionally visit the watch forums. Since I recently just purchased a couple of new watches, I was going through a few. I saw your username and wondered if it was the same person.

So, what are you wearing today? edit - Just noticed your avatar. Are you Sinning today?

Oh, and back to somewhat on-topic, how do you find the K-01 for watch photography?
Haven't got the K-01. The K-5 and K-x do just fine I wear my Sinn 757UTC most of the time but today am wearing a watch my wife gave me a few years ago - a Citizen Eco-Drive Blue Angels model.
03-24-2012, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Haven't got the K-01. The K-5 and K-x do just fine I wear my Sinn 757UTC most of the time but today am wearing a watch my wife gave me a few years ago - a Citizen Eco-Drive Blue Angels model.
Cool! I started out with an Eco-Drive world timer that my wife gave me as a wedding gift. I talked a camera buddy of mine into a Sinn a few months back. He wanted a nicer watch, and was looking all around. I gave him some suggestions, including Sinn, and he bought one. I can't remember which one.

I just bought a Zenith and a Mido, which is out of character. I might buy a watch every few years, but I found two good deals in the same month, so I bought them. The Zenith is a hand wind, and the Mido is a power reserve.

Maybe we should have a watch gallery here. I've been thinking of a SOTC photo shoot.

As for forum wars, yeah, after being on watch forums, I've figured out that all forums are the same eventually. It's just the obsession that changes.

Oh, and today I'm wearing an Epos triple date moonphase chronograph.
03-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #72
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Cool! I started out with an Eco-Drive world timer that my wife gave me as a wedding gift. I talked a camera buddy of mine into a Sinn a few months back. He wanted a nicer watch, and was looking all around. I gave him some suggestions, including Sinn, and he bought one. I can't remember which one.

I just bought a Zenith and a Mido, which is out of character. I might buy a watch every few years, but I found two good deals in the same month, so I bought them. The Zenith is a hand wind, and the Mido is a power reserve.

Maybe we should have a watch gallery here. I've been thinking of a SOTC photo shoot.

As for forum wars, yeah, after being on watch forums, I've figured out that all forums are the same eventually. It's just the obsession that changes.

Oh, and today I'm wearing an Epos triple date moonphase chronograph.

I collect watches myself; and even have items such as Eco-Drive models and also Kinetics. Unfortunately items such as a Breitling PilotT are a bit too costly to effectively collect.
03-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #73

Oh my! And here I was thinking "my" Tissot PR50 was a nice watch. I say "my" because I'm just "borrowing" it from my father. I cannot justify spending $150 on a watch myself.

BTW I also have a Casio W-720. It's been a solid performer for more than fifteen years. I use it when I work out and when I'm traveling(can't risk to se my expensive watch stolen).
03-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Guys, I started a Watches thread in the General Talk section - more appropriate there.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/180090-watches.html
03-26-2012, 06:39 AM   #75
Veteran Member

I don't think Dpreview has a biased agenda, but I do think they have a mainstream view of the camera world that isn't particularly adventurous. The K-01, whether you like it or not, is a different take on mirrorless (big camera with small lenses instead of big lens on small camera), and I think a lot of the flack it has gotten beyond the deserved 'it doesn't have an EVF" criticism is based on the fact that it doesn't fit into what people think a mirrorless camera should look like. I never expected a good review of it from Dpreview.

The most troubling thing to me about the error on the K-01 preview is that it gives me the feeling that they think the K-01 is sort of a joke.