Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #76

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
The most troubling thing to me about the error on the K-01 preview is that it gives me the feeling that they think the K-01 is sort of a joke.
I hear ya. I was in my city's largest camera retailer and the sales guy smirked at me when I asked about it; said, "we weren't impressed..." Then he made a show of looking it up on the computer, "We could special order it if you want." Oh, sure, I thought. I told him I thought they were missing the boat.

Their Pentax section was pretty anemic - a K5 and about 3 lens choices - so maybe they just don't get along with Pentax. To the point where they're willing to blow off a customer.

03-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I don't think Dpreview has a biased agenda, but I do think they have a mainstream view of the camera world that isn't particularly adventurous. The K-01, whether you like it or not, is a different take on mirrorless (big camera with small lenses instead of big lens on small camera), and I think a lot of the flack it has gotten beyond the deserved 'it doesn't have an EVF" criticism is based on the fact that it doesn't fit into what people think a mirrorless camera should look like. I never expected a good review of it from Dpreview.

The most troubling thing to me about the error on the K-01 preview is that it gives me the feeling that they think the K-01 is sort of a joke.
I agree with much of what you are saying, but would point out that deleting comments that are neither inflammatory nor rude does not speak well for them or their ability to act like...well....adults.
03-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well said

Originally posted by Urkeldaedalus
"The K-01, whether you like it or not, is a different take on mirrorless (big camera with small lenses instead of big lens on small camera)"

THis is indeed the issue. I have been trying to get DP REVIEW to think in these terms ( I am yesman in that forum) but it is like changing a religion. In addtion the performance of the NEX 7 leaves a lot to be desired. the Lens design is not optimal for the sensor size.
03-27-2012, 02:23 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spartan Quote
Originally posted by Urkeldaedalus
"The K-01, whether you like it or not, is a different take on mirrorless (big camera with small lenses instead of big lens on small camera)"

THis is indeed the issue. I have been trying to get DP REVIEW to think in these terms ( I am yesman in that forum) but it is like changing a religion. In addtion the performance of the NEX 7 leaves a lot to be desired. the Lens design is not optimal for the sensor size.

Indeed this is the issue, here is my reply to Andy about this point.

QuoteOriginally posted by Andy Westlake:

Well, let me help you on that. NEX buyers value the remarkable ratio of image quality to size - the NEX-7 is arguably the best APS-C camera out there in terms of overall image quality bar none, and the NEX-5N matches pretty well any SLR (as it uses Sony's superb 16MP sensor, as seen in the K-5). Sony users also like the tilting screen and ability to set the camera up just as you like, despite the limited number of external controls.
you sound like a big sony fanboi here. The remarkable ratio of image quality to size may be valid only for e mount lenses. As soon as you think of mounting any other lenses the lens adapter also comes into play which makes your statement very much false. Further to add to it this adapter is not free. The sony alpha adapter costs 33000 yen in japan which is roughly 40 - 50% price of k-01 body.

03-27-2012, 07:34 AM   #80
Banned

Photos: Albums
Having the almost 25mp sensor in the nex7 is like having a V10 in a Kia.

Any real camera is about the lens/optics and also the ability to control the settings; otherwise you'll might as well be stuck with a P&S
03-27-2012, 07:43 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Having the almost 25mp sensor in the nex7 is like having a V10 in a Kia.

Any real camera is about the lens/optics and also the ability to control the settings; otherwise you'll might as well be stuck with a P&S
The Nissan Juke-R would like to have a word with you

I don't think it's an easy argument to make that the NEX7 would beat the K-01, considering the K-01 can mount the Limited lenses pretty simply and still work without seeming unbalanced. Some of the M4/3 guys have really great fast primes, but I'm not so sure of what available pickings Sony has in that category.
03-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #82

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
you sound like a big sony fanboi here.
Not sure about 'fanboi', but Westlake comes off sounding as though he believes a smaller camera is therefore a better camera - without regard to balance or lens compatibility. Based on that criteria an NEX7 automatically becomes his preferred camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
The remarkable ratio of image quality to size may be valid only for e mount lenses.
Now people are noticing that most of the e-mount aren't up to snuff.

03-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #83
rjm
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mervis Quote
Based on that criteria an NEX7 automatically becomes his preferred camera.
The NEX-7 is a pretty amazing piece of kit, and that's coming from someone who generally dislikes Sony's fussy, walkman-esque approach to camera design in general and the NEX system in particular. The three command dials (one front, two aft) are a simply brilliant idea, giving you ISO, shutter speed, and aperture control simultaneously, no shift-press. It's also a solid metal brick, and has a EVF, all in a just-compact-enough-to-be-compact-without-being-cramped size. So yeah I'm not surprised it his preferred camera. It's that slick.
03-28-2012, 04:17 AM   #84
Banned

Photos: Albums
Also noting all of the issues that the Sony NEX5 had; and also the massive delays there were with the NEX7. Sony lost some major existing customers and also potential customers with both of these issues.

After people were left with the six plus month delay on the NEX7; wondering how many orders were lost??
03-28-2012, 04:25 AM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rjm Quote
The NEX-7 is a pretty amazing piece of kit, and that's coming from someone who generally dislikes Sony's fussy, walkman-esque approach to camera design in general and the NEX system in particular. The three command dials (one front, two aft) are a simply brilliant idea, giving you ISO, shutter speed, and aperture control simultaneously, no shift-press. It's also a solid metal brick, and has a EVF, all in a just-compact-enough-to-be-compact-without-being-cramped size. So yeah I'm not surprised it his preferred camera. It's that slick.
Well, I think the question has less to do with the dials and more to do with the ergonomics of large lens/small camera body versus small lens/larger camera body. As of right now, there just aren't very many lenses available for the NEX 7 with ability to mount/auto focus without an adapter. Pentax has quite a few (all their lenses, basically).

Clearly Pentax is behind Sony when it comes to technology. The K-01 is probably just a hair behind the NEX 5 in terms of technology. However, if they continue down the mirrorless path they have chosen, EVF can be added and other improvements as well. However the size of the camera (keeping the k mount dimensions) will not change, nor will the lens sizes change more than slightly.
03-28-2012, 07:02 AM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, I think the question has less to do with the dials and more to do with the ergonomics of large lens/small camera body versus small lens/larger camera body. As of right now, there just aren't very many lenses available for the NEX 7 with ability to mount/auto focus without an adapter. Pentax has quite a few (all their lenses, basically).

Clearly Pentax is behind Sony when it comes to technology. The K-01 is probably just a hair behind the NEX 5 in terms of technology. However, if they continue down the mirrorless path they have chosen, EVF can be added and other improvements as well. However the size of the camera (keeping the k mount dimensions) will not change, nor will the lens sizes change more than slightly.
Pentax's vision for the CSC is, to my mind, the right one. But right now the "marketplace of reviewers" doen't share that vision. I wonder if Pentax could have done a better job of promoting thier thinking to the media press.
03-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #87

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
However the size of the camera (keeping the k mount dimensions) will not change, nor will the lens sizes change more than slightly.
They could maintain the size while shaping the shutter-button side (is that the left or the right?) with a more hand-pleasing form in future iterations.

Disclaimer: I own a K-01 and have very few real-world complaints.
03-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They could maintain the size while shaping the shutter-button side (is that the left or the right?) with a more hand-pleasing form in future iterations.

Disclaimer: I own a K-01 and have very few real-world complaints.
Wouldn't that essentially make it a NoVF K-r?
03-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #89

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Wouldn't that essentially make it a NoVF K-r?
Not necessarily. We shouldn't be arguing about concepts and non-existant prototypes.
03-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #90
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not necessarily. We shouldn't be arguing about concepts and non-existant prototypes.
Oh I Know - I have one too. I'm just trying to understand the current design implementation before I start thinking about the next one. FWIW I really like the camera. Everything is there. Finding it all is turning out to eb a challenge since my newest dSLR is a K10d.