Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
It encourages bad technique.
Not necessarily. As long as you're watching your shutter speeds, standing firmly, controlling your breathing and cradling the camera, shooting with a telephoto need not be any more problematic than with a DSLR.

Once again, I have (razor-sharp) images to prove it.

03-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #17

Original Poster
Lowell -- I agree. I've been shooting using the proper techniques shown above for over 50+ years. But you can't use those techniques without a VF. Now that I'm older too, I don't like to wear glasses and don't have to with a VF. However, as stated, if I have to use LCD, I have to have some type of glasses -- pulling it closer doesn't work. But, again, I was wanting something less big and bulky than the K-5 to have with me all the time which would provide the same great quality IQ as the K-5 and use those lenses. Guess I'm wanting too much. But I'm really thinking of returning the K-01 and going a different direction, even though I don't really want to. The lack of VF seems to be a real deal-breaker for me, after trying to make it work. Thanks for the input.
03-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #18
Forum Member

Hi Texian.. I'm a female from the Cali desert and own all three of the current Pentax cameras and have been using the K-01 in all situations except sports photography, which I don't do.. I also use a long-bill cap and monopod when hiking.

If you can grasp this experience observation.
The K5 and Kr both suffer from "guessology focus" because of the SLR viewfinder screens and iffy phase AF and as such IMO, they basically count on you living within the depth of field range.

The K-01 is the Pentax focus queen with it's Focus Peaking that literally jumps at your eye in the large sharp screen. I use manual focus 90% of the time because it's faster and more accurate !! ..yep even with the pancakes.

I am happily into my chosen focus drill but other users will post their pet method, also besides watching the Peaking Edges you can setup the beep to tell you. My gramps, pushing 90, prefers the shutter block but that would irritate the hell outa me.

What bugs me about the K-01 is the lack of good documentation, which maybe Pentax did to get a daily snicker reading our posts.
03-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WWWench Quote
What bugs me about the K-01 is the lack of good documentation, which maybe Pentax did to get a daily snicker reading our posts.
The manual is driving me batty. I'm not a pro. I do this a couple hours at a time 2 or 3 days a week. I want an Appendix that tells me, "To do that, do these steps," with a good Index to all the typical "That's" that photographers do.

As it is, I'm spending more time here hoping someone else has figured something out than I am outside with my camera. (And since I'm here I reply ).

03-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #20

Original Poster
Hi, WWWench -- Thanks for the tips. Actually, I have fibromyalgia and a degenerative hip and am supposed to walk with a cane, which I refuse to do. However, if I walk with a monopod/walking stick and then whip out the K-01, MF and focus peaking, maybe that would work. Of course, it was a long time before cameras did have AF, but they always did have a VF. I love the focus peaking and wish it were on the K-5 also. I don't go hiking in the wild anymore, mostly in the field with deer and, otherwise, in the cities/museums. Your area is so beautiful -- I was able to visit there once a long time ago. Thanks again. I'll try this combination.
03-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Jeez - tough spot. Rumors today of a K5n with a tiltable VF - maybe focus peaking - but your 30 days is elapsing. I've had good results using the LCD both hand-held and with a monopod but I wear glasses full time (and have acute glaucoma) so I really can't use a current OVF any more. Best I can do is LX with special finder. K-01 is a gosend for me.

Good Luck!!
03-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by texasgirl Quote
Hi, WWWench -- Thanks for the tips. Actually, I have fibromyalgia and a degenerative hip and am supposed to walk with a cane, which I refuse to do. However, if I walk with a monopod/walking stick and then whip out the K-01, MF and focus peaking, maybe that would work.
Oh my goodness, we have a lot in common. I actually want a much sturdier monopod that can double as a walking stick, but they can get pricey. Seriously, you won't believe how much a monopod will change your photography experience, for all your cameras. When I'm feeling wobbly, I couldn't do without mine.
03-23-2012, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #23

Original Poster
ibkc -- Looked at your pix/profile on flickr -- great photos. I also used to paint in watercolors but, as you, photo is my only outlet now. I used to live in Atlanta (Dunwoody) -- loved it. Now back in Texas, but not in Dallas, in the middle of nowhere. Will get the monopod. Thanks. Luck to you.

03-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #24

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by texasgirl Quote
ibkc -- Looked at your pix/profile on flickr -- great photos. I also used to paint in watercolors but, as you, photo is my only outlet now. I used to live in Atlanta (Dunwoody) -- loved it. Now back in Texas, but not in Dallas, in the middle of nowhere. Will get the monopod. Thanks. Luck to you.
To you, too.
03-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #25
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Why not just stick with the K5 then? You say it's heavy and bulky, but it is worlds smallest fully featured DSLR. With the K-01 the VF isn't the only sacrifice. You're also losing shutter speed, and AF performance, WR, etc...
Sure their are a lot of cameras that claim items such as WR; and naturally Pentax isn't the only company that des this - just about all of them try to claim a version of this. But I've found the WR claim by Pentax to be more than a bit misleading.

The WR label is just them simply stating that is has a trivial type of resistance and not much more. I've also seen many cameras that make their claim about WR - also become extensively damaged or literally completely destroyed - and then also te camera company does not in fact back up their claims
03-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #26
Site Supporter

My solution to seeing the LCD in bright sunlight is using a Delkin Devices 3.0" universal pop up shade on one of my P&S..With the shade down the LCD is protected from damage in a purse or pocket....... Cliff

http://delkin.com/images/T19835850.jpg
03-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #27
Forum Member

ClearViewer

ClearViewer is an inexpensive $35, folding high-diopter lens which lets you view and focus on the LCD screen with your eye right up to the lens, less than 2 inches away from the LCD. You can use the LCD screen almost as you would an electronic viewfinder, and can see fine detail very clearly, in all sorts of lighting.

The tripod socket model folds tightly against the LCD so it doesn't add a lot of bulk to the K-01. It unfolds easily and quickly for use, and can easily swing down if you want to view the LCD in the normal way. Picture shows mounted on a LX-3/5
Attached Images

03-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #28
Forum Member

If you're shooting primes, one solution is to buy a shoe-mount optical finder of approximate equivalent field of view -- e.g., a 60mm finder for use with the 40mm lens, a 21mm if you've got the 15mm mounted. It won't be 100% accurate for framing, but it'll be close. This assumes that you're using AF lenses and that you trust the K-01's autofocus. These are a popular accessory for rangefinder cameras and wide-angle lenses--so it can be tough to find them for longer focal lengths. Voigtlander makes a variable focal length version that covers 15-35mm, and that sells for $500+. The 60mm might be hard to find--the only RF lens I can think of is the somewhat rare Konica Hexanon 60mm f/1.2.

I've only had the K-01 in my hands for a couple hours--did some street shooting in NYC this afternoon (was very bright) and the LCD was a bit tough to work with. It does brighten up quite a bit when you touch the shutter halfway to focus, but before that I was fighting glare.
03-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Sure their are a lot of cameras that claim items such as WR; and naturally Pentax isn't the only company that des this - just about all of them try to claim a version of this. But I've found the WR claim by Pentax to be more than a bit misleading.

The WR label is just them simply stating that is has a trivial type of resistance and not much more. I've also seen many cameras that make their claim about WR - also become extensively damaged or literally completely destroyed - and then also te camera company does not in fact back up their claims
Why do you find pentax claim of WR missleading ?
03-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mervis Quote
I beg to differ, Rupert. I use a point-and shoot with LCD for my work in northern Canada, many days under cloudless skies on snow-covered ground. Doesn't get much brighter than that. They've been releasing LCD-only cameras for over 10 years now, P&S AND mirrorless, and people have been finding ways to use them. Why all the sudden angst now that the K-01 has come out.

BTW, I've used my new K-01 on sunny days. I've got the images to prove it.
Your thinking your light in Northern Canada is as bright as my light here in Texas is like me telling you that I know all about snow and it's never a problem. Sure, we have snow, but I assure you it is not the same...and neither is your sunshine.
Regards!