Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Sure, we have snow, but I assure you it is not the same...and neither is your sunshine.
What?? Texas is in a different solar system? No one told me. :-)

Your original quote was: you sure as heck can't, and my response is, yes you can. Not well when it's real bright, but you can fight through it. I fully understand someone preferring an optical viewfinder, but this is a mirrorless camera, so EVF would have been required. For me, the lesser of two evils is an LCD.

Anyway, I'm heading out the door with the K-01. It's a rare bright sunny day here in Vancouver. Wish me luck.

03-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #32

Original Poster
Thanks WWWench. I ordered the Clearviewer, but the screen looks "strange" to me -- in that I cannot identify finite details -- almost like it's too magnified. Also, in sunlight, still can't see that well. Also, guess I have a small face because one corner of it pokes into my nose hard. Oh, well. Guess some things work for some and not for others.
03-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #33
Veteran Member

OP, I agree. No VF no deal.

But it goes further than that. No AA batts, no deal as well.

If Pentax's other mini camera offerings ran on AA's and had a VF I'd jump on them. Same with the K-5. Love to buy 2 - 3 if they ran on AA's. (4 AA's in body that is. Not 6 or 8 AA's with a heavy bulky grip.)

Can only hope Pentax returns to it roots and as the volkscamera company...a job that it does best.
03-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
No AA batts, no deal as well.
I've seen you post this before. I don't get it why in the world would you want AAs, the battery in the K-5 has excellent capacity. Your cheating yourself out of using a great camera for this. Anyway I doubt very much that any future 'serious' Pentax will work on AAs.

03-24-2012, 05:26 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WWWench Quote
ClearViewer is an inexpensive $35, folding high-diopter lens which lets you view and focus on the LCD screen with your eye right up to the lens, less than 2 inches away from the LCD.
That looks like a really nifty device! I should get one when/if I buy a VF-less camera.

About bright ambient light: It can be a monster! I don''t recall problems in the Yukon, but at high elevation in the USA southwest, ambient light can be so intense as to render even a SLR VF with eyecup almost useless. And I wear a ball cap with a big brim, for shade (unless wind is too strong).

Sometimes I can only set the lens for zone or hyperfocus, and generally frame the shot in the VF without being able to actually see any details. And sometimes I can only aim or wave the camera in the general direction of a subject, and hope. Back in the day was the SPORTS FINDER, a wire frame aside the body. Hold camera at arms' length, peer through Sports Finder, and hope. It's a tradition, eh?

If I can't see what I'm shooting then I'll take whatever help I can get: AF, CIF, zone focus, ancient rituals, whatever. I bought a big thick black cloth. I have not yet draped it over my head, with or without a tripod. I may yet resort to that. Who WAS that masked togger?
03-24-2012, 05:33 AM   #36
Banned

If Pentax's other mini camera offerings ran on AA's and had a VF I'd jump on them. Same with the K-5. Love to buy 2 - 3 if they ran on AA's. (4 AA's in body that is. Not 6 or 8 AA's with a heavy bulky grip.)

Can only hope Pentax returns to it roots and as the volkscamera company...a job that it does best.
Go get a used Pentax *ist DS2 DSLR if you want a DSLR with AAs. My K-7 and K-01 batteries are the same and 3rd party batteries are low cost and last a long time.
03-24-2012, 05:37 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I saw "no viewfinder" I crossed the K-01 off my list. I was initially excited too but I'm looking elsewhere for a small, carry everywhere, camera.

03-24-2012, 05:42 AM   #38
Veteran Member

The Kx or Km aren't that much bigger than the K-01 and has a viewfinder
03-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
When I saw "no viewfinder" I crossed the K-01 off my list. I was initially excited too but I'm looking elsewhere for a small, carry everywhere, camera.
You are missing out on a wonderful camera
03-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #40
Banned

Photos: Albums

I've already seen a K-5 with a "cold weather" tethered battery pack that also offers the ability to use either the original camera batteries (btw they are the same between the K-5 and the K-01) and also aa's. Unfortunately it was some time ago and I didn't make a note of what company builds the device. I have also been unable to find the device anywhere on the internet, yet... IF one is willing to risk trashing the existing (yet limited) warranty, then it also would not be all that difficult to adapt/fabricate something to fit it.

But also noting; given all of the specs and power requirements of both the K-5 and K-01; that aa's wouldn't last for all that many pics; probably not much beyond one hundred pics.
03-24-2012, 08:46 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
All that add on gear...to get what you already have on the K5? However, if you get the yellow K-01, the Forklift you will need to carry your fully loaded K-01 will already come in bright yellow....so that has to be a big plus?

Maybe I am out of touch, but if you can't see an LCD in the bright Texas sun, and you sure as heck can't, I don't care what anyone says, then without a viewfinder you are shooting blind. How this makes sense, I have no idea, but plenty are arguing that it does?
Regards!
Jim, I've had my Pen for coming up on three years, and the K-01 for a couple of weeks, and I use both in bright Texas sun. So, it can be done. Whether or not you prefer to use it, I guess you don't. But it can certainly be done. I've done it for a few years now, and before I got into dSLRs, I did it for many years back to my first digital camera in 1997.

I get it that some people don't want to use a camera without an optical viewfinder or some other tunnel to look through. But the millions and millions of cameras sold with LCDs would seem to indicate that somebody's is using them somewhere.

As for the OP's comments about glasses, I've figured out that for some people with glasses, LCDs are a pain. For me, it's the opposite. When I wore reading glasses (but had fine far vision), I was constantly putting my glasses on to read the settings, taking them off to take a picture, and so on, and so on. A real pain. Even with the bifocals I wear now, when I shoot with my K-5, I have to put up with smudged glasses from the eyepiece. I don't really mind, because I love the K-5, but it's not optimal. The K-01 is a much easier shooting experience, up until I get to larger glass, where the K-5 handles better for me. For others, I have no doubt they can figure out a system where the K-01 with larger lenses works for them. I just think it's great we all have choices.

Last edited by rfortson; 03-24-2012 at 08:52 AM.
03-24-2012, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #42
Forum Member

I wear glasses too and I hate putting them up to a viewfinder. I also hate taking them off all the time to switch between the screen and the viewfinder. Don't understand all the angst about no viewfinder, I shot in Yemen for a year without a viewfinder. That's pretty much the definition of bright sun. I'm also amused to hear that people didn't shoot with cameras without viewfinders until recently. I guess no one ever shot in bright sun with Hasselblads, Rolleiflexes, press cameras or view cameras. Yes, they had shades (which you can also put on the k-01 of course) but they had far dimmer screens and no AF.

If you don't like shooting without a VF, then fair enough, but it certainly can be done, it has been for decades. It looks like shooting with the k-01 is going to be much more like shooting with larger format cameras than 35mm SLRs. Thank God for that. I still chuckle when people claim that cameras without viewfinders are inherently for snapshooters and not for "serious" photographers. As if 35mm SLRs were all serious photograhers ever used... LOL!
03-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not old enough to know this but I've read that back-in-the-day 135 film wasn't for "serious" photographers.
03-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #44
Veteran Member

No not cheating in any way. I can shoot tons of photos on AA. Shoot for days on AA or weeks. Now, msot of my shots are not flash. so that may be a factor. No AA is a deal breaker. No way no how. That simple.
03-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #45
Forum Member

No not cheating in any way. I can shoot tons of photos on AA. Shoot for days on AA or weeks. Now, msot of my shots are not flash. so that may be a factor. No AA is a deal breaker. No way no how. That simple.
Prepare to be disappointed then. AA batteries are too big and are an inefficient shape for maximum storage per volume taken up. Are there any interchangeable lens cameras being made with AA batteries? Any mirror less cameras? Cameras without viewfinders are going to be more demanding on the batteries and with everyone carping about the size, designers will need to squeeze as much battery life out of the given space as possible. Seems like you are artificially limiting yourself when it comes to cameras. Might as well say that you will only shoot with cameras that use CF, or are yellow, or some other non-photographic criteria. I take the battery the camera uses as given. When I find a camera I like, I use the batteries that it uses, can't imagine picking a camera by something that doesn't influence the image. I will pick a camera based on the lenses, but not the batteries.