Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Of course, if you are emotionally repelled by a certain brand because you believe it jilted you - then you needn't wait.
Well, since I keep shooting Pentax (though less and less) and keep recommending the brand (where appropriate) I am not sure how you judge my emotions. Nor do I care.

I cannot shoot today with your imaginary cameras from the future. I will continue to recommend only those cameras that actually exist. My friends appreciate this small grip on reality that I tenuously hold, against all injunctions otherwise, made by helpful folk on camera fora.

03-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #62
Banned

K-5 vs GX1

03-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Second, I don't want my screen shedding light pollution over everyone else trying to enjoy a gig, whether that's a dance recital, rock band, or sound artist. Sure, lots of people are ignorant that way, but I have no desire to be one of them. Generally I turn off the screen on my SLR for the same reason, though it does depend on the context.
On New Years' Eve I shot a rock concert (with film cameras! Go me!) that was video'd entirely by a five-man crew wielding DSLRs using their LCD screens for live viewing the entire time. Some of the crew were stationary and some of them moved around. Their presence didn't seem to bother anyone in the crowd in the slightest, so perhaps this fear of "light pollution" is a bit paranoiac on your part - although, as you said, context does matter. Just a thought
03-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by isaacc7 Quote
I was trying to go against the meme that the K-01 is "useless" in bright sun and brought up other cameras as examples of how people have been doing it for years.
I would never claim the K-01 is useless, though it is suboptimal in respects that concern the OP.

QuoteOriginally posted by isaacc7 Quote
There's no reason why shooting with a viewfinder body should be any less stable than a camera with a viewfinder.
On the contrary, your example of the strap tripod method proves my point. If there was no problem with stability this technique would not exist in an attempt to solve it. Since many of us view neck straps with distaste, it can only be seen as a partial solution for a subset of users.

As for the rest of your post, I think you misunderstood that it was all addressed to you. In fact it wasn't. I was actually trying to address every relevant advantage of viewfinders, whether you had mentioned them or not.

My mention of arrogance came from your implication that since you never had a problem with the LCD it isn't a problem, despite countless claims by other photographers to the contrary. I honestly find it hard to imagine I'm spending all this time stating the advantages of a viewfinder when they are (almost) universally acknowledged. It seems that just because Pentax screwed up in not offering one, it's suddenly a really good idea to limit photographers.

And even if you did honestly believe it's better to ignore viewfinders, it's totally out of place in a thread where the OP thinks otherwise. So, yeah, that is arrogant. And not in a good way.

03-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
On New Years' Eve I shot a rock concert (with film cameras! Go me!) that was video'd entirely by a five-man crew wielding DSLRs using their LCD screens for live viewing the entire time. Some of the crew were stationary and some of them moved around. Their presence didn't seem to bother anyone in the crowd in the slightest, so perhaps this fear of "light pollution" is a bit paranoiac on your part - although, as you said, context does matter. Just a thought
A film/video crew crashing through a concert or a recital is disrupting. So is a photographer shooting off flashes, unless the gig is large enough that this is a general effect. Whether you have any sensitivity to the matter is another matter. But my clients value the fact that I do.

P.S. You missed the bit where I said it depends on context.

P.P.S. You don't understand the meaning of "paranoid". Better luck next time.
03-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Jogiba why are you directing your comment to me, i'm not making a problem that the K-01 has no viewfinder...
I only said that the Km and Kr have a viewfinder and from just that you're applying that I make a problem about the viewfinder.
Really stop trolling and get a life.

As for the size, the K-01 isn't that much smaller either.

now if we look at the weight with battery.
K5 - 740 g (1.63 lb / 26.10 oz)
Kx - 580 g (1.28 lb / 20.46 oz)
K01 - 561 g (1.24 lb / 19.79 oz)

Such m4/3th system are fun but I doubt that Texasgirl want to invest in a new system but who knows.
Personally i would then go with Olympus instead of Panasonic.

Last edited by Anvh; 03-24-2012 at 06:21 PM.
03-24-2012, 10:56 PM   #67

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
A film/video crew crashing through a concert or a recital is disrupting.
It doesn't have to be, if the crew goes about their duties in a professional manner. "Crashing through a concert" certainly wouldn't be professional, but implying that all video crews behave in such a manner, as you seem to be doing here, would be incorrect. As I said, the crew who shot the concert where I was also a still photographer barely made themselves noticeable despite their use of their LCD screens. I was slightly jealous of their extra light as I fumbled with changing out rolls of 120 in the darkness. Flash photography was banned at the show, though, mostly because of the video production going on but also because ...

QuoteQuote:
So is a photographer shooting off flashes, unless the gig is large enough that this is a general effect.
... in general, using a flash at a venue larger than a tiny club is futile anyway, unless you're right up on the stage with the performers, but you know this, right?

QuoteQuote:
Whether you have any sensitivity to the matter is another matter. But my clients value the fact that I do.
Or it might be that they don't care about it as much as you think they do, and are just nodding and smiling at you when you bring it up the highly pressing issue of those horrible LCD screens on cameras. Who knows?

QuoteQuote:
P.S. You missed the bit where I said it depends on context.
No, actually I did not. I referenced it directly, which you'll see if you re-read what I wrote.

QuoteQuote:
P.P.S. You don't understand the meaning of "paranoid". Better luck next time.
No, it's more like you not understanding gentle humor. The thought of a photographer being worried about many disapproving stares directed his way because of his LCD screen does strike me as a bit paranoiac, and not in the clinical sense but in a humorous sense. "Everyone's looking at me!" Lighten up, man.

03-25-2012, 05:29 AM   #68
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
The Kx or Km aren't that much bigger than the K-01 and has a viewfinder

Jogiba why are you directing your comment to me, i'm not making a problem that the K-01 has no viewfinder...
I only said that the Km and Kr have a viewfinder and from just that you're applying that I make a problem about the viewfinder.
Really stop trolling and get a life.

As for the size, the K-01 isn't that much smaller either.
How am I trolling ? You are the one who posted the K-01 isn't that much smaller than the K-5 when I posted the same about the discontinued Kx. It seems like you get your cookies trolling the K-01 forum reminding people that the K-01 has no VF.
03-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
It seems like you get your cookies trolling the K-01 forum reminding people that the K-01 has no VF.
This what i mean.
Really good luck of finding a comment from me that is negative about the K-01.
And i want a report from you back since you're accusing me for it so come on and link me to those comments.

And yeah the Kx is discontinued but they are easy to find second-hand and you suggested a camera that is even older so look at yourself first will you...

ps. will help you a bit
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/176089-pentax-k-01-conv...ml#post1835231

Last edited by Anvh; 03-25-2012 at 08:38 AM.
03-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #70
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hey, Texasgirl. Just a little background on my response... I am a m4/3 user (Oly E-P3 currently) and I recently purchased a Pentax K-01. My reason for purchasing the K-01 is that I had been looking at the K5 for landscapes and some portraits... I decided I liked the *slightly* reduced size and weight of the K-01 and, for my purposes, I could work around the lack of viewfinder (actually I prefer to compose on the rear display anyway).

Based on your requirements, I do not think you would be happy with the K-01. First and foremost, it does not have an eye level viewfinder. If that is crucial for you, which it sounds like it is, the K-01 doesn't have this and, in my opinion, any adaptations or third-party add-ons just increase the size and don't really get you to where you want. Secondly, I do not consider the K-01 to be all that compact or light, except with the 40mm lens.

If you rule out the K-01, do you want a compact system or would a fixed focal length work? The Fuji X100 comes to mind if you can deal with fixed 35mm FoV... also, stops you from going down the rabbit hole with a new system (i.e., LBA). Otherwise, I do think that micro four thirds is a good compact option with the very good and small prime lenses available. Also, think the E-M5 is a good option if you always want a viewfinder - it is more compact than the GX1 and E-P3 with their accessory viewfinders mounted. The E-M5 with the Panasonic 20mm (40mm equiv) f1.7 would be a pretty great compact carry option.
03-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It doesn't have to be, if the crew goes about their duties in a professional manner.
No kidding. I already said it is context-dependent. You say you read and understood that, though you continue to argue as though you hadn't understood a word.

... in general, using a flash at a venue larger than a tiny club is futile anyway, unless you're right up on the stage with the performers, but you know this, right?
Of course. Now try telling it to all the fans who don't know this.

Or it might be that they don't care about it as much as you think they do, and are just nodding and smiling at you when you bring it up the highly pressing issue of those horrible LCD screens on cameras. Who knows?
How do you presume to know my clients better than I do? Oh, sorry, this insinuation of motives is all part of a "joke", right? Is that how you excuse all your insulting and juvenile taunts? Stop being an ass.
03-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You know, I remember back when this forum was a nice place full of helpful people. Now it's just clowns trying to one-up anyone with a helpful suggestion. Here's a hint for the Pentax fanboys... it's not about you, OK? It's about providing useful alternatives to those who ask for help.
03-25-2012, 01:57 PM - 2 Likes   #73
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find a few people on here, rather than just express an opinion on watever the OP is asking, they rather try and have a childish argument with those that
express there thoughts and opinions. I had a post removed for one of my replies to one of these people. So now, rather than get worked up over childish rants
I just instantly stick them on the ignore list. Problem solved lol Saves a lot of arguing.