Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2012, 07:36 AM   #1

No VF - What's a girl to do?

I LOVE my k-5, but it's a bit too big and heavy to carry around in my purse everyday. So I wanted to love the K-01; HOWEVER, I'm finding a big problem with no VF. I need VF for additional stability of being able to hold it to my face, along with the fact that, if i use a VF, I don't need to wear glasses. But if I try to use just the lcd, I have to put on glasses and then the bigger issue of less stability. I, of course, wanted to love the K-01 because of being able to use limited lenses without adapters, etc. I also ordered the ClearViewer but it doesn't work for me -- pokes me in the side of the nose hard when it is up to my eye and then the image of the lcd is "strange" and I still can't see finite details.

A lot of you are more knowledgeable than I, so I thought someone may have the perfect answer that I haven't come across. Thank you for your input.

03-23-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's two solutions:

Try out the K-01 - the limited lenses shouldn't require you to have the extra stabilization from the face. I have found the K-01 to be very manageable with the smaller primes. Stability only starts coming in when you start using much larger and heavier lenses, but that also varies from person to person. Try it out, and I'm sure most stability complaints will go away.

Why don't you need glasses to use a VF, and need glasses to use the LCD? Is the diopter adjustment enough on the k-5 viewfinder?

The second option is to find a M4/3 camera or the NEX7. You lose the ability to use your limited lenses, but most of the M4/3 cameras now have pretty good fast small primes. A lot of people will say that the limited lenses (especially the 31 and the 77) are without equal in the M4/3 group, but that may have to be the sacrifice.
03-23-2012, 07:55 AM   #3

Original Poster
Re the VF - yes, the diopter adjustment on any VF is find for me -- I'm able to use it without glasses. But, since I'm older, to use the LCD requires reading glasses. Also, since I'm older, I just feel the camera if more stable when I have it up to my eye -- also better for composing. I've thought of the new Olympus OM-D, but, as you point out, the quality is not the same and I would not be able to use my Pentax limiteds that I love so much -- the quality of them is fantastic and they are small and lightweight. Guess I need to try harder with the K-01. Thanks for the input -- it is really appreciated.
03-23-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I would like to repeat, please give the K-01 a hands-on try. I was quite surprised at how nice it felt with the DA 40mm XS. I am a young guy and will not say my experience is going to be the same for everyone, but it was very easy to hold it with my right hand and shoot practically as a point and shoot. The shake reduction system, shorter focal length, and great high-ISO of the K-01 (equal to the k-5) meant I didn't really need to worry about motion blur from lack of stabilization.

So feeling it in hand and seeing how it works with the DA 40mm XS may give you a very different perspective. I do hope that the LCD works alright with your vision requirements - I wear glasses and have very bad vision, so I do not have a choice in that matter.

03-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by texasgirl Quote
Re the VF - yes, the diopter adjustment on any VF is find for me -- I'm able to use it without glasses. But, since I'm older, to use the LCD requires reading glasses. Also, since I'm older, I just feel the camera if more stable when I have it up to my eye -- also better for composing. I've thought of the new Olympus OM-D, but, as you point out, the quality is not the same and I would not be able to use my Pentax limiteds that I love so much -- the quality of them is fantastic and they are small and lightweight. Guess I need to try harder with the K-01. Thanks for the input -- it is really appreciated.
Hi, I wear glasses too, and I have MS, so I am extra-shaky at times. You may not like this solution, but I carry a lightweight monopod that collapses down to a manageable size. When I need extra stability for any of my cameras, out it comes. In the case of the K-01, it takes the responsibility of steadying the camera off of you the user, and you can then pull the LCD screen as close to your face as you want. Just a thought.
03-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
Banned

03-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #7

Wish I had a solution, texasgirl. I too wear glasses, but all the time, so I have progressive lenses. I can look at the world around me and then at the screen with relative ease.

When I had a DSLR (K-7) I had the option of adjusting the diopter, but I would still need to put on glasses to see the screen (I'm an unapologetic chronic chimper - it's a big part of my shooting style), thus I was overhandling my glasses, dropping them, etc. Now that I'm using the K-01, the glasses stay on my face. I'm used to using the screen for composing as I use a small point-and-shoot as a field camera at my job.

I guess my advice would be: have you considered progressive lenses?

Hope you can figure something out because the K-01 really does take nice photographs.

03-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Re the VF - yes, the diopter adjustment on any VF is find for me -- I'm able to use it without glasses. But, since I'm older, to use the LCD requires reading glasses. Also, since I'm older, I just feel the camera if more stable when I have it up to my eye -- also better for composing.
Why not just stick with the K5 then? You say it's heavy and bulky, but it is worlds smallest fully featured DSLR. With the K-01 the VF isn't the only sacrifice. You're also losing shutter speed, and AF performance, WR, etc...
03-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All that add on gear...to get what you already have on the K5? However, if you get the yellow K-01, the Forklift you will need to carry your fully loaded K-01 will already come in bright yellow....so that has to be a big plus?

Maybe I am out of touch, but if you can't see an LCD in the bright Texas sun, and you sure as heck can't, I don't care what anyone says, then without a viewfinder you are shooting blind. How this makes sense, I have no idea, but plenty are arguing that it does?
Regards!
03-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
No VF - What's a girl to do?
My suggestion: Get a used K-x or K-r (if you want illuminated AF points), or wait for the K-r's successor. The K-01 isn't that successor.

You laid out some very valid reasons that you need a viewfinder and would still like to use your Limited lenses (and I assume AF), so no need to try to fit a square peg (pun intended) into a round hole...
03-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My solution to use the K-01? I use it and figure out how to make it work because I need the focus peaking. I think we are conditioned to reject change and we're missing a great opportunity. Decide for yourself whether you want to accept the (negative) guidance of those who don't own it.

Here's what I do:
  • Wear a wide-brimmed hat or long-billed ball cap to shade the LCD.
  • Hold the camera like an SLR, wth your left palm cradling the bottom of the camera (and your thumb and forefinger turning the focusing ring of the lens for MF lenses).
  • Don't use your right hand for anything but button pushes - use a very light touch.
  • Bring your elbows in to your sides to stabilize your torso.
  • Stand with your left foot pointed at your subject and your weight on your right foot.
  • Use a neck strap shortened enough to brace the camera when you bring it up to your face.
  • Raise the camera to 8" in front of your eyes.
  • Compose, focus and shoot.

03-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #12
Banned

Put the 40mm XS lens on your K-5.
03-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Does Sony make a K adapter for the NEX-7?
03-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Maybe I am out of touch, but if you can't see an LCD in the bright Texas sun, and you sure as heck can't, I don't care what anyone says, then without a viewfinder you are shooting blind.
I beg to differ, Rupert. I use a point-and shoot with LCD for my work in northern Canada, many days under cloudless skies on snow-covered ground. Doesn't get much brighter than that. They've been releasing LCD-only cameras for over 10 years now, P&S AND mirrorless, and people have been finding ways to use them. Why all the sudden angst now that the K-01 has come out.

BTW, I've used my new K-01 on sunny days. I've got the images to prove it.
03-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I LOVE my k-5, but it's a bit too big and heavy to carry around in my purse everyday. So I wanted to love the K-01; HOWEVER, I'm finding a big problem with no VF. I need VF for additional stability of being able to hold it to my face, along with the fact that, if i use a VF, I don't need to wear glasses. But if I try to use just the lcd, I have to put on glasses and then the bigger issue of less stability. I, of course, wanted to love the K-01 because of being able to use limited lenses without adapters, etc. I also ordered the ClearViewer but it doesn't work for me -- pokes me in the side of the nose hard when it is up to my eye and then the image of the lcd is "strange" and I still can't see finite details.

A lot of you are more knowledgeable than I, so I thought someone may have the perfect answer that I haven't come across. Thank you for your input.
You have summed up perfectly what is wrong with trying to make an ILC without some form ov view finder. It encourages bad technique. I could perhaps see a use for one with my wide angle primes up to perhaps 50mm, but I can't see holding it with my samyang 85/1.4 or super tak 85/1.9 Or anything longer. Still it might make a better travel camera than my K10 or *istD which I use for my manual focus primes.