Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-23-2012, 09:48 AM - 2 Likes   #1

ePHOTOzine Gives the Pentax K-01 4 out of 5 Stars

Pentax K-01 Mirrorless CSC Full Review
March 23, 2012

Joshua Walker reviews the Pentax K-01 and gives it an overall rating of 4 out of 5 stars. Click the above link to read the full review.

In addition to the overall rating, also rates it as follows:

Features: 4 out of 5.
Handling: 4 out of 5.
Performance 4.5 out of 5.
Value for money: 3.5 out of 5.

03-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i guess that performance really balances out the value!

Heh, I hope it drops to $600 by September. That would be a good price.

Feels like a pretty balanced review, very sparse on the lack of viewfinder and the sun issue with the rear screen, definitely loses out to the NEX7 in terms of features, but quite a good review with pictures to boot.
03-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you're right, once the first price drop comes the value for money score will go up. Certainly it will hit 649 when the Kr replacement is launched (at 799 i bet body only)
03-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
i guess that performance really balances out the value!
I actually posted the review here before I read it ha). As I was reading the full review, I kept thinking that his words and findings don't really match the ratings he gives it, except for the "Value for Money" rating. I'm surprised there isn't an "Image Quality" rating.

Heh, I hope it drops to $600 by September. That would be a good price.
I agree (or maybe even lower). In my very biased opinion, it has too many P&S-type limitations in terms of performance to justify a low-end DSLR price tag.

Feels like a pretty balanced review, very sparse on the lack of viewfinder and the sun issue with the rear screen.
He didn't mention focus peaking at all. That really perplexes/frustrates me. Along with image quality, dynamic range and ISO performance that is the most intriguing aspect of the K-01. Maybe he has already grown used to focus peaking since it is available on other cameras, including the NEX7.

definitely loses out to the NEX7 in terms of features, but quite a good review with pictures to boot.
For me, the K-01's image quality, DR, high ISO and legacy-lens support are the reasons I would buy a K-01 over an NEX7 without batting an eye, if those were the only two choices in the world. But they aren't, so I reluctantly have to pass on the K-01 (for now).

03-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Not bad at all ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Welfl Quote
Pentax K-01 Mirrorless CSC Full Review
Features: 4 out of 5.
Handling: 4 out of 5.
Performance 4.5 out of 5.
Value for money: 3.5 out of 5.
Bonjour,

Thanks for your post and it's good news to me ears ... and the "3.5" for value isn't surprising at all and quite justified IMHO.

If I were to purchase a new Pentax, let's say upgrading from a K-x or K-r, I probably would choose a K-5 ... since the price delta between to 2 is not that large ... and the quality/build delta is enormously in favor of the K-5. Example from France : K-01 body = 699€ vs. K-5 body = 799€ ... or K-01 with 40 XS = 799 € vs.K-5 with DA 18-55 WR = 919 € (Source= Numipixel).

Still this review is good, and as soon as the French photo press puts out a K-01 review, I'll let everyone know the results.

Salut, J Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 03-23-2012 at 11:02 AM.
03-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #6

Heh, I just came here to post the link to this review and you beat me to it by a couple of hours!

But yes, aside from leaving out the focus peaking, this is a very nice, balanced review. I was delighted to see all the sample shots, both real-world and test setups.
03-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by John Poitiers Quote
Thanks for your post and it's good news to me ears ... and the "3.5" for value isn't surprising at all and quite justified IMHO.
I probably would have given it no higher than a 3.0, but that's partially because I'm still stuck in the late 20th century as far as retail prices go.

If I were to purchase a new Pentax, let's say upgrading from a K-x or K-r, I probably would choose a K-5 ... since the price delta between to 2 is not that large ... and the quality/build delta is enormously in favor of the K-5.
I agree wholeheartedly. I've been resisting the urge to buy a K-5 (my first dSLR love) at $999 for the past few days for only two reasons: I want focus peaking and (as long as I'm spending $999) much better video capabilities. Actually, I can live with the K-5's imperfect video capabilities, but I do not want to live without focus peaking. I wish Pentax would say definitively that they are NOT going to add focus peaking to the K-5 via a firmware update. If I knew that, I would feel better about waiting for the replacement for the K-r, which will probably be a cross between the K-5 and the K-01 (I hope!).

QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
Heh, I just came here to post the link to this review and you beat me to it by a couple of hours!
Darn (that's D A R N ). I suppose I should have let an actual K-01 owner post this review. I mean that sincerely.

QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
But yes, aside from leaving out the focus peaking, this is a very nice, balanced review. I was delighted to see all the sample shots, both real-world and test setups.
Yes, the combination of real-world and technical sample shots is really a nice change of pace.

Maybe someone will comment below the review about the author not mentioning focus peaking.

03-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
Banned

If I were to purchase a new Pentax, let's say upgrading from a K-x or K-r, I probably would choose a K-5 ... since the price delta between to 2 is not that large ... and the quality/build delta is enormously in favor of the K-5. Example from France : K-01 body = 699€ vs. K-5 body = 799€ ... or K-01 with 40 XS = 799 € vs.K-5 with DA 18-55 WR = 919 € (Source= Numipixel).
I can purchase K-01 with 40mm xs for 640 euro. Not to bad I think.
03-24-2012, 01:49 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Not bad ... and where, SVP?!

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I can purchase K-01 with 40mm xs for 640 euro. Not to bad I think.
What's the source ... thanks in advance, J
03-24-2012, 02:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I wish Pentax would say definitively that they are NOT going to add focus peaking to the K-5 via a firmware update.
I think it's safe to say you will not see it. A replacement is due out, and I'd put my money on that one having it, and they will not let them compete. I'm fairly certain the recent price drops ($500) are to get rid of any stock to make room for the new one.
03-24-2012, 02:42 AM   #11
Forum Member

also in the cons they mentioned 1fps continuous shooting in RAW but this should be fixed with the first firmware update
03-24-2012, 04:05 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
I think it's safe to say you will not see it. A replacement is due out, and I'd put my money on that one having it, and they will not let them compete. I'm fairly certain the recent price drops ($500) are to get rid of any stock to make room for the new one.
I agree. The K5 is done. It will hang on until fall, but if it weren't for the tsunami and Thailand flooding, Pentax would likely be pushing the K5 replacement already. Of course, it effected Nikon as well. They haven't announced their follow up to the D7000 either and probably won't for awhile (APS-C usually has an 18 month lifespan and the K5 was released in 10/2010). Anyway, I don't see Pentax adding functionality to the K5 at this point since they are probably working hard on its sequel.
03-24-2012, 04:26 AM   #13
Pentaxian

It would be nice though ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Bonjour,

Agreed, but I think that there would not be that much direct competition between the two, kind of like when the K-7 & K-5 were both available at the same time ... plus, adding it via firmware (if possible) would engender some real positive perspectives upon future firmware support and further brand loyalty ... of current users, those looking to upgrade within the Pentax lineup and new entry customers, too. Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth...

A+, J Frog
03-24-2012, 05:29 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I agree wholeheartedly. I've been resisting the urge to buy a K-5 (my first dSLR love) at $999 for the past few days for only two reasons: I want focus peaking and (as long as I'm spending $999) much better video capabilities. Actually, I can live with the K-5's imperfect video capabilities, but I do not want to live without focus peaking. I wish Pentax would say definitively that they are NOT going to add focus peaking to the K-5 via a firmware update. If I knew that, I would feel better about waiting for the replacement for the K-r, which will probably be a cross between the K-5 and the K-01 (I hope!).
Just FYI there is an AD selling the K5 for about $100 less than that this weekend according to posts in the K5 forum
03-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IIRC John Carlson said in an interview linked here sometime around CES or CP+ the K5 would stay in production until December. Doesn't fell like that right now, but that has been my assumption all winter. If the K5n was enough different and manufacturing costs were low enough I suppose they could . . . 16Mp @$1099 vs. 24Mp, articulating LCD, focus peaking, PRIME M engine, better AF, better FPs, $1799?

Could the regular K5 become the K-r replacement, then a K-02 with EVF fill the gap later?