Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
This may not be helpful, but I never use auto ISO, and I urge you to try setting your ISO manually and doing this again. I have had no trouble with flash blowout when doing my setting manually - so far, anyway. Haven't gotten very deep into it.
I agree, at least with regard to when I am using flash. I just set my iso for the situation (outdoors in good light iso 80-100, indoors in poor light usually 800) and the camera usually does pretty well (this is the K5). If I use auto iso, invariably, the camera picks a much higher iso than is really needed (particularly since your shutter speed is limited to 1/180 second). For your particular photo, you would need to stop your lens down considerably to not get over exposure, considering that without flash you were at iso 100 and 1/1200 second exposure.

03-24-2012, 06:20 AM   #17

Original Poster
OK I tried the same photos with the pentax DAL 18-55. The settings of both shots were evaluative multi-segment metering, aperature priority (4.5), auto-iso, 18mm.

The first shot has no flash and looks OK - iso 100 and 1/125.

The second shot with forced flash is blown out - iso 800 and 1/100. Just to be clear, at these distances the flash is not overpowering the scene. The camera is adjusting exposure in the wrong direction.
I know that auto settings aren't perfect, but this is just plain wrong.

I tried another shot at 55mm and the problem is still there but not so bad - maybe it is worse at wide angle?

To add more confusion, When I've used the flash indoors the exposure looks OK.

Please - Can anybody else duplicate this? I've seen something similar posted on the DP review forum...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
03-24-2012, 06:27 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Just tried K-01.

-Body. Looks great. Not comfortable to hold. Quite heavy. Green button is out of reach. SD door is not that bad as some say. Buils quality good.
-Display. More or less ok. It's smoother in action than K-5 but has tendency to ''oversharp'' I guess.
-Focus. Not that bad, in the day light it's plenty fast.
-40mm XS is great, want one.
-Overall: will not buy.
03-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Yeah, I can get my K-01 to overexpose horribly in Auto mode and forced flash. However, I think it's a case of making the camera do the wrong thing. I looked and I don't see a "fill flash" or rear curtain or anything like that while in the Auto exposure mode. Even going through the scene modes, I didn't see anything obvious for that situation.

I'd like to take a picture of a bright scene, but with the main subject backlit, in Auto mode, and see if the camera will automatically fill in the flash then. I never use the Auto mode, so I don't think it will be a problem for me, but for a camera targeted at more casual users, I can see how this may be a problem. Auto mode is handy when handing your camera to a stranger or newbie to take a shot, but P mode usually works just as well, and I have a little more control over it.

- EDIT - Following up, I tried to use some fill flash in Av mode today, and even with the flash turned down to -2.0 EV, it still horribly overexposed. I've used fill flash in on bright days with plenty of other cameras, but for some reason the K-01 has a real problem with it. So I agree with the OP.

Last edited by rfortson; 03-25-2012 at 07:24 AM.
03-25-2012, 07:36 AM   #20
Banned

Photos: Albums
Finally got the time to duplicate some of the conditions; although it was mostly cloudy outside.

With a majority (but NOT all) of the Pentax automated settings: Program, Aperature, etc... - that IF using a type of fill flash outdoors; one might indeed run into some overexposure issues - but only when using the built in fill flash.

This can be somewhat corrected in camera - made better, but perhaps not corrected entirely. Simply hit the flash icon on the back of the camera, then the down cursor to adjust the flash output by up to two stops in either direction. That may help out under some, but not all instances. Because the camera will still max out under the shutter speed max flash sync speed. Unfortunately Pentax does not yet offer flash sync speed at all speeds much like most medium format cameras do.

Also under all of the settings besides aperature priority; if one is willing or able to adjust the aperature to close down further - this will in fact compensate for most (iif not all) instances.

There are other options as well... Adding ND filters should enable one (if they would want or need to) to keep the aperature wide open under a variety of lighting; including outdoor. Also adding an optional flash could correct this under some instances.

But it would appear as though... The Pentax K-01 is not quite made (or adapted to yet - without optional extras, or by updated firmware) to take built-in flash fill outdoors without going into manual override settings. It is doable, but will take experimentation. I'll post the results at a later time.
03-25-2012, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #21
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
MFP - thank you! You are doing a great service for K-01 users , who may, like me, be struggling to get everything possible out of this fun camera in our limited "hobby time." At a point we must ask ourselves whether, in order to use the camera in some truly challenging situation, we ought not to just use the dSLR.

That's not to imply we shouldn't push to find the absolute limit of the camera's potential. Rather it is to ask, "At what point is there a better tool for the task?"
03-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #22
Banned

Photos: Albums
I typically lkke to use a camera in as full manual a mode as possible - whenever possible, yet... There are those rare times in which I'll switch over to an automatic mode such as under certain types of action photography.

But I've also noticed that the K-01 does in fact handle quite nicely under a majority of the automatic settings if one would really want to use it under full automatic. But it is also interesting that someone did in fact find a mode tha tthe camera (at this time) is not able to adapt to under automatic settings, that... Under the rare instance - the user might just have to switch to the manual setting to adapt to the pic.

As for any current or perspective owner... Stick with the K-01 it's well worst it. For people looking to buy... Is the K-01 perfect? No, but then again - what camera is? But it is worth a try and a test drive - if someone is able to do just that - take it out for a spin.

Outside of the viewfinder issue - it is an extremely impressive camera. Plus I'm really sold on the idea and use of the focus peaking feature. Sure the K-01 has it's market, as does any DSLR.

This camera also does have market potential. The K-01 with it's full lens line and also even the new version of the 40mm pancake - make it appealing to people with P&S cameras and also ones like the Lumix line and others. Plus it will even get more people interested in creative photography, and maybe even professional photography. The camera is great for hobby use; and even as a second (possibly back-up??) camera body for a professional photographer.

As a professional; I have yet to use it as a true primary camera in an instance such as a wedding (plus I usually use medium format for that type of instance anyway), yet... I do find myself using it as a type of everyday camera - and even as a professional one. I've already obtained gallery results with it that will in fact also make it into my professional portfolio.

And Thankyou Monochrome for the compliment. This site has people such as yourself to thank as well
03-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I tried some fill flash yesterday when I was out and about suffering with the K-01 in bright light. :P And I did find that the fill flash doesn't work well, even in Av mode with the flash output turned all the way down to -2.0EV. The shots were horribly overexposed. I now believe there's a bug in the K-01 flash exposure as I've used fill flash for years outside in the same bright situations with a variety of cheap P&S cameras and with dSLRs. It's always "just worked", without much fiddling.

It's a shame, because with the bright sun yesterday and my daughter wearing a hat, I wanted just a kiss of light to brighten the shadow cast on her face by her hat. I couldn't get it to work without overexposing the entire scene. Here's an example SOOC shot in Av with manual flash turned down to -2.0EV. (BTW-she was trying to give her "serious" face. She was actually having fun.)

21mm, f/5.6, ISO200, 1/90s - don't know why the camera chose those settings

For now, if I want fill flash, I guess I'll have to switch to full manual exposure.

03-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #24

stuff like this seems to be a firmware thing...
As a side note, i just got a Panasonic LX5 recently, its flash sync speed is impressive: I was able to get full flash sync 1/800 (built in & external flash or with slave), and reduced flash sync all the way up to 1/4000 (bult in flash)...
maybe just wishful thinking, by why couldn't the K01 use electronic shutter and up the sync speed?
03-26-2012, 05:28 AM   #25

Original Poster
Thanks MFP for taking this seriously and trying to duplicate it. I have been able to get good exposure in most cases if I put the ISO in manual.
03-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #26
Forum Member

My hands-on.... very briefly I was at B&H yesterday and played around for a few minutes. Granted they had three units on demo that were probably handled thousands of times so far, but each one had the loose rubber cover over the sd card door, and the loose corner falls right under my thumb. The door popped partially open every time I handled the camera. This sounds petty but I will not buy one until that is fixed. It would drive me ape. I consider that element of the camera to be a massive design fail. The rest of the camera was cool. Focus seemed alright under the mediocre lighting, the shutter release was very quick, the handling is acceptable (not as ergo as the k-5 but it wouldn't cause me to miss a shot) and the white is simply righteous. The feel of the knobs and buttons is almost perfect in my book, snappy, tight, easy to control but not to accidentally push-turn. The 40mm seems great. But that rubber door.... omg.
03-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #27
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by weave2d2 Quote
My hands-on.... very briefly I was at B&H yesterday and played around for a few minutes. Granted they had three units on demo that were probably handled thousands of times so far, but each one had the loose rubber cover over the sd card door, and the loose corner falls right under my thumb. The door popped partially open every time I handled the camera. This sounds petty but I will not buy one until that is fixed. It would drive me ape. I consider that element of the camera to be a massive design fail. The rest of the camera was cool. Focus seemed alright under the mediocre lighting, the shutter release was very quick, the handling is acceptable (not as ergo as the k-5 but it wouldn't cause me to miss a shot) and the white is simply righteous. The feel of the knobs and buttons is almost perfect in my book, snappy, tight, easy to control but not to accidentally push-turn. The 40mm seems great. But that rubber door.... omg.
There's a trick to closing that rubber door. You have to push it in to the slots. Even Adam commented about the trick in his review - and he wasn't upset. Once you get the trick it closes all the way and stays closed. If you don't give it the right "push" the corners hang loose and it pops open again. A Counter Demo will never have that door closed properly by the nature of who has opened it.

Mine doesn't bother me one bit.

I had to learn how to get my fingernail under the tab to turn the Battery Door lock on my K10D, too. And the Card Door. Sometimes I still cuss that - and the spring broke almost immediately on the Battery Door so I have to pull it open by the tab to boot. I still love the K10D.

Don't sweat the small stuff.
03-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #28
Forum Member

You own the camera, so I defer to your greater experience for sure. But they could have done oh-so-better on that detail. I repeatedly tried in vain to get that door back in place on the demos. Have you been shooting your camera in jpeg or raw, and if raw, you have been getting 1 fps max, correct?
03-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I tried some fill flash yesterday when I was out and about suffering with the K-01 in bright light. :P And I did find that the fill flash doesn't work well, even in Av mode with the flash output turned all the way down to -2.0EV. The shots were horribly overexposed. I now believe there's a bug in the K-01 flash exposure as I've used fill flash for years outside in the same bright situations with a variety of cheap P&S cameras and with dSLRs. It's always "just worked", without much fiddling.

It's a shame, because with the bright sun yesterday and my daughter wearing a hat, I wanted just a kiss of light to brighten the shadow cast on her face by her hat. I couldn't get it to work without overexposing the entire scene. Here's an example SOOC shot in Av with manual flash turned down to -2.0EV. (BTW-she was trying to give her "serious" face. She was actually having fun.)

21mm, f/5.6, ISO200, 1/90s - don't know why the camera chose those settings

For now, if I want fill flash, I guess I'll have to switch to full manual exposure.
Hum... to me the 'subject' appears properly exposed, it's just not the desired effect, which is to expose for the background, and fill in with the flash. To me it looks and sounds like the camera is simply doing what it is told to do, i.e. expose the subject that would otherwise underexposed properly. Confusing I admit, but without a dedicated "fill in Flash" mode, how is the camera supposed to know what you want to do ?
03-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #30
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by weave2d2 Quote
You own the camera, so I defer to your greater experience for sure. But they could have done oh-so-better on that detail. I repeatedly tried in vain to get that door back in place on the demos. Have you been shooting your camera in jpeg or raw, and if raw, you have been getting 1 fps max, correct?
The rubber door is fiddly, no doubt. I They might better have put a rubber-covered real door there but I'll bet they couldn't fit the latch mechanism inside. What I find annoying is the second door, but whatever - it doesn't bother me enough to make the camera unpleasant. Also it is probably either this or sell everything and do something else with my time (vision issues) so my "annoyance factor" is different than most people's. I really just want to learn this camera so I have ANY way to take photographs. I like the shape and feel and the looks are growing onme - and when I do get an image - oh my!!

Shooting raw only. I get 6 rapid frames then the buffer is full and then 1.5 - 1.0 FPS. But that was just to see. I have no use for rapid-fire shooting with this camera (my instructor/daughter doesn't see the need for even a winder for film cameras - if you can't get the shot in one click, then how good are you? - but she's pretty hard-headed about things)..