Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2012, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Abusing myself with the K-01

Decided to abuse myself by lugging the K-01 and those giant DA limited lenses out into the bright Texas sun where I couldn't see a thing. Somehow, I managed to luck into a few shots. (BTW - I'm barely able to type this message given how cramped my hands are from trying to hold this brick for more than an hour. The things I suffer through for photography!)

DA21 Ltd - I was able to guess where the lake was.

DA70 Ltd - I think there's a bison in the picture somewhere

DA70 Ltd - luckily a flower jumped into the frame as I was totally blinded by the sun

DA15 Ltd - My 9 year old daughter somehow managed to hold the camera long enough for this shot. BTW, the anvil felt light compared to that brick I was shooting with!

03-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #2

The are all very good -- and memorable and meaningful (and comical ).

You could probably have saved your eyes from the strain by turning the LCD off and just shooting by guesswork. That little "brick" might have done all the hard work for you.
03-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yes, we must suffer for our art. It's the blues-singer model of photographic attainment. If life is too easy, you're doing something wrong. [/me drops Graflex on my naked foot]
03-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #4

Funny stuff!

03-24-2012, 10:08 PM - 2 Likes   #5

Wasn't sure I wanted to open the thread after I saw "abusing myself". :-)
03-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mervis Quote
Wasn't sure I wanted to open the thread after I saw "abusing myself". :-)
Ooops. You know, I didn't even think of that (consciously, at least).
03-25-2012, 01:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for the laugh. I can see by all the squinting that the light is almost as bright as here. ;-)
03-25-2012, 02:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
We have lots of light like that first frame here in Australia. Especially in summer. It is harsh and makes the display screen virtuall unuasable as a tool to check image quality. That is why I would not change to a viewfinderless body with current technology.

Nice images captured under that kind of extreme lighting.

03-25-2012, 07:02 AM   #9
Forum Member

Soooooooo funny and ty for sharing your "workout".

Number 2 for a laugh is the recent post damning the K-01 for Light pollution at Rock Concerts amongst a long list of sins.

Last edited by WWWench; 03-25-2012 at 07:20 AM.
03-25-2012, 07:33 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WWWench Quote
Soooooooo funny and ty for sharing your "workout".

Number 2 for a laugh is the recent post damning the K-01 for Light pollution at Rock Concerts amongst a long list of sins.
That member once did some really neat work cataloging Vivitar K 28mm MF lenses and is really a pretty decent guy, I think, but has since soured on Pentax and has become sort of a troll for MFT.

WRT light pollution at concerts, I took my wife to a Life-List concert - Mark Knopfler at a grand old Fox Theater here (best concert I've been to ever) - and he literally asked the audience not to ruin the other concert-goers' enjoyment with bright phone LCD's. Same for Bob Dylan. I think they really just don't want people taking pictures but the "Light Pollution" thing is quite common now.

Total BS, but the sheep will get huffy.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-25-2012 at 07:39 AM.
03-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That member once did some really neat work cataloging Vivitar K 28mm MF lenses and is really a pretty decent guy, I think, but has since soured on Pentax and has become sort of a troll for MFT.

WRT light pollution at concerts, I took my wife to a Life-List concert - Mark Knopfler at a grand old Fox Theater here (best concert I've been to ever) - and he literally asked the audience not to ruin the other concert-goers' enjoyment with bright phone LCD's. Same for Bob Dylan. I think they really just don't want people taking pictures but the "Light Pollution" thing is quite common now.

Total BS, but the sheep will get huffy.
Light pollution in a movie really bugs me. In a concert with stage lighting that's constantly changing, I never notice it. Like you said, I think they just don't want people filming it.

BTW, Mark Knopfler at the Fox would be fantastic! I've never been to the Fox in StLouis, but the one in Atlanta is similar and outstanding for shows like that. It's been many years since I've seen a show there (or since I've lived in ATL) but I still have fond memories of the great shows I've seen there.
03-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
BTW, Mark Knopfler at the Fox would be fantastic! I've never been to the Fox in StLouis, but the one in Atlanta is similar and outstanding for shows like that. It's been many years since I've seen a show there (or since I've lived in ATL) but I still have fond memories of the great shows I've seen there.
I think I saw a movie at the Atlanta Fox in 1975 but it was college - memory fades You have more courage than I if you can still stand a movie theater. Its the talking. We finally broke down and got U-Verse and a Netflix subscription, so no more red mailers. Silly me - I fished Cat-4 cable from the switch to the Blu-Ray. Could have just jumped from the DVR.

Knopfler literally played the entire catalog old to new. No warm-up band, 2 90 minute sets, awesome Telegraph Road and a 30 minute encore, . Never in my life of concert going have I witnessed such comparative generosity from an established rock musician. Guster outdoors under the Arch came close - but not quite.

Dylan (with Merle Haggard, who was literally half the reason we went) - also at The Fox and coincidentally my wife's 50th birthday (what a birthday card the Tour Poster is!) used spotless vintage Fender floor amps, of course had exquisitely talented backup musicians, perfect mixing and lighting - and left us flat. He faced about 170 degrees stage rear left if by a compass the entire time and barely interacted with the audience. It felt mechanical, even in the grand venue.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-25-2012 at 10:05 AM.
03-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I laughed quite a bit reading your post and captions! That camera seems made for the Limiteds.