Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Where is the K-01 Made?

Where is the K-01 made? I try to avoid Chinese products. I do not wish to debate the matter of Chinese production. My reasons extend beyond the matter of quality.

Thanks.

03-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
Where is the K-01 made? I try to avoid Chinese products. I do not wish to debate the matter of Chinese production. My reasons extend beyond the matter of quality.

Thanks.
Vietnam, I'm pretty sure.
03-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't believe any Pentax cameras are made in China. I believe the K-01 is made in Vietnam.
03-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #4

Are there any Japanese camera manufacturers who do a lot of business with the Chinese? I know Nikon cameras are made in Thailand, Pentax in Vietnam ...

03-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
Banned

Thanks.
You better not buy anything from Apple then.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/177178-k-01s-beginning-...ilippines.html
03-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Yup, mine says "assembled" in the Philippines
03-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Good luck with that.
Even if the camera is not assembled in China the changes are high one of the electronic components inside might be made there but that's true for all electronics....

03-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I try to avoid Chinese products.
I doubt there's a single computer out there whose components (or a large portion thereof) are not made in China. Same goes for phones, cameras, and any other piece of electronics. It's kinda silly to avoid products made and assembled in China if you go on using products that were still manufactured there, and assembled elsewhere.
03-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When you are talking about "Made in .....", there is nothing today that is just made in one central location. I was talking with a gentleman who own a large camera shop in Arizona and does repair for Canon and Nikon, a while ago. He thought that Pentax farmed out the assembly of their PC boards to Kyocera, and the parts come from all over - Sensors from Sony, controllers from Fujitsu, etc....I would suspect that a lot of the parts, boards, etc all come from Asia, Taiwan, Korea, Japan (to an extent), just look at where all the semiconductor FABs are located.

03-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Even the 'Made in .." label can be untrue
I was factory once where connecting rods for a major motorcycle company were being forged and finished. "Made in Japan' was imprinted on the rods but this factory was not there.
03-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
When you are talking about "Made in .....", there is nothing today that is just made in one central location. I was talking with a gentleman who own a large camera shop in Arizona and does repair for Canon and Nikon, a while ago. He thought that Pentax farmed out the assembly of their PC boards to Kyocera, and the parts come from all over - Sensors from Sony, controllers from Fujitsu, etc....I would suspect that a lot of the parts, boards, etc all come from Asia, Taiwan, Korea, Japan (to an extent), just look at where all the semiconductor FABs are located.

Interesting website
03-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I appreciate the replies.

Does the K-01 offer autofocus in movie mode? Also, is the "40mm" kit lens 40mm, or would it be a 60mm with the 1.5x conversion? I ask because it is a DA lens, and I do not know much about them.
03-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
Banned

if I'm not mistaken, all pentax digital cameras above the p&s models have always been assembled in the Philippines. starting with the istD.
03-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can autofocus while in movie mode but unless you are using a DC motor or SDM lens the AF motor is audible in your movie. My daughter, who is a producer for a broadcast network news show says her videographers all manual focus. They're just very good at it.

A 40 mm lens is 40mm, whatever format it was designed for. You are referring to the crop-factor of the APSc sensor, which produces an image which Field of View is equivalent to what a 60mm lens would produce on 135 film. There are many threads on the site discussing the subject.
03-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks.

You probably should stop buying anything at all.

I'm sure there are components in the K-01 made in China. You realize you live in the year 2011 right?
Closed Thread