Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2012, 04:46 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DNG-files

My DNG-files form the K-01 looks funny in Capture One Pro.
Anyone had this problem?
What may be the reason?

The software provided by Pentax (Silkypix) seems to work fine., though.
Please look at:
developed-DNG | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Regards
Jens

03-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

yeah with DNG in general, sometimes the software is unable to read the colour profiles correctly it seems.
I don't remember which software it was, could be capture one or DXO.

So check which colour profile it's using and check the white balance.
03-30-2012, 07:19 AM   #3

Original Poster
I received an answer from Phase One: Capture One doesn't support Pentax DNG-files. Only Adobe DNG 1.2 (whatever that is).
So, I am going to use Silkypix for my K-01 "RAW" files. I'm not very happy about this, because I don't really want more than one RAW converter.
Anybody know of a Pentax DNG to Adobe DNG file converter?

Regards
Jens
03-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #4

Original Poster
In Capture One I can import colorprofiles. Where do I get the ones for K-01?
Regards
Jens

03-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #5

Good questions. A little Googling found me this page at Adobe's site. It looks as if it may be too early yet for K-01 support.

Last edited by mervis; 03-30-2012 at 12:29 PM.
03-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photodana Quote
I received an answer from Phase One: Capture One doesn't support Pentax DNG-files. Only Adobe DNG 1.2 (whatever that is).
The k5 uses DNG 1.1 no idea what K-01 uses but phase one always had problems reading the exif/metadata in DNG and that's giving this problem.

To convert DNG you can use the Adobe DNG file converter No it's really called that way it's from adobe, google it.
03-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mervis Quote
Good questions. A little Googling found me this page at Adobe's site. It looks as if it may be too early yet for K-01 support.
DNG works different, you don't need separate camera support any more.
So just a decent DNG support from phase one is enough...

03-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
DNG works different, you don't need separate camera support any more.
So just a decent DNG support from phase one is enough...
I know how DNG works, but I'm not sure if it's as easy as you say, since the OP is having trouble with the Pentax version of DNG that's coming straight out of the K-01. The Adobe converter offers support for the K-5 and K-r but not the K-01 as of yet, so if the OP needs to convert from the Pentax version to a more universal version that Capture One can read, Adobe can't help with that for now.

At least that's my interpretation. Anybody with some knowledge of this area, feel free to correct me.
03-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
Forum Member

I have been using K-01 raw (DNG) with no issues in Win-7 64 versions
CS5
Elements 10
Lightroom 4

the usual note: : Adobe is often able to provide preliminary support for raw files from new camera models not listed above. Camera Raw and Lightroom will open and edit these files, but profiling and testing is not complete.

Last edited by WWWench; 03-31-2012 at 04:06 AM.
03-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mervis Quote
I know how DNG works, but I'm not sure if it's as easy as you say, since the OP is having trouble with the Pentax version of DNG that's coming straight out of the K-01. The Adobe converter offers support for the K-5 and K-r but not the K-01 as of yet, so if the OP needs to convert from the Pentax version to a more universal version that Capture One can read, Adobe can't help with that for now.
DNG is almost compatible with TIFF/EP, you can even make it compatible if you want actually but you need to trim down the functions but if you do you can replace .DNG with .TIFF and it will work.
So yes it's that simple as i wrote it down.

Here is a technical summery.
QuoteQuote:
A DNG file always contains data for one main image, plus metadata, and optionally contains at least one JPEG preview. It normally has the extension "dng" or "DNG".

DNG conforms to TIFF/EP and is structured according to TIFF. DNG supports various formats of metadata, (including Exif metadata, XMP metadata, IPTC metadata), and specifies a set of mandated metadata.

DNG is both a raw image format and a format that supports "non-raw", or partly processed, images. The latter (non-raw) format is known as "Linear DNG". Linear DNG is still scene-referred and can still benefit from many of the operations typically performed by a raw converter, such as white balance, the application of a camera color profile, HDR compositing, etc. All images that can be supported as raw images can also be supported as Linear DNG. Images from the Foveon X3 sensor or similar, hence especially Sigma cameras, can only be supported as Linear DNG.

DNG can contain raw image data from sensors with various configurations of color filter array (CFA). These include: conventional Bayer filters, using 3 colors and rectangular pixels; 4 color CFAs, for example the RGBE filter used in the Sony DSC-F828; rectangular (non-square) pixels, for example as used in the Nikon D1X; and offset sensors (for example with octagonal pixels) such as Super CCD sensors of various types, as used in various Fujifilm cameras. (Or combinations of these if necessary). DNG specifies metadata describing these individual parameters; this is one significant extension to TIFF/EP.
The Adobe DNG converter can help if it converts the DNG 1.1 to DNG 1.2.
But DNG 1.2 standard is already almost 4 years old now so i actually assume that the K-01 actually uses DNG 1.2 though...
And don't worry about support, Adobe has his DNG support in working order off course so it should take the K-01 files without a problem.
Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 6.6

ps. found this site that is a bit more technical and goes deeper.
http://www.barrypearson.co.uk/articles/dng/specification.htm#standards

Last edited by Anvh; 03-30-2012 at 02:10 PM.
03-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Adobe have a policy of not updating older software. I was happily using CS1 until I bought the D300 etc
I ended up having to buy CS4 to reconise the RAW files. I think any of the CS range will obviously reconise DNG though.
If you use the latest adobe product they will update it to accept any new cameras Raw files.
As soon as the latest version comes out it seems to stop right away. Clever move me thinks lol
03-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Westmill you find that many companies don't update their older software when it's replaced with a new version....
But this has nothing to do with the problem though, the OP doesn't use an Adobe product beside the DNG file but it's not Adobe fault that Capture One doesn't support it fully.
03-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I understand your frustration and you shouldn't have to use more than one RAW converter. It sounds like Capture One is the issue though as they are telling you that they won't support the file format you've chosen to use. The Pentax DNG will open in Adobe products (I believe they are responsible for creating the file format) and unlike the other formats, you don't have to wait/update to get it to work. I can only imagine that Capture One will eventually support the .PEF files at some point in the future, but it's hard to say when.

If you haven't already, you might want to read through this thread as it talks about this very issues:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/digital-processing-software-printing/1511...able-free.html

Good luck!

QuoteOriginally posted by Photodana Quote
So, I am going to use Silkypix for my K-01 "RAW" files. I'm not very happy about this, because I don't really want more than one RAW converter.

Regards
Jens
03-31-2012, 06:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Sunny 16, the K-01 has dropped the PEF as did the Q so we might see a shift from Pentax to go fully DNG and not supporting PEF anymore.
04-01-2012, 02:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ha! Well, I guess I probably should have known that since I own a K-01. I'm just used to using .DNG that I didn't go looking for it.

My apologies for not providing accurate information! Good luck with the software.