Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pretty much, yeah, unfortunately. The main difference between the K-01 and the K-r as far as ports go is that there's no cable release. For casual users, I'm not sure they'll really care, but a rear IR port would be nice just because even a $300 Pentax P&S has two.
OK, thank you. I'll be using the timer then, when I need this functionality. Kind of a stupid oversight on their part.

I do love this camera, though. It goes with me everywhere, and its drawbacks do not even come close to tarnishing how thrilled I am with its image quality and how easy it is for me to use - the reasons I wanted it.

04-04-2012, 03:01 AM   #17
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
Add EVF option and the lost grip. This could have been a killer cam.So what if it cost more but had all the features expected of MILC these days.Try to get a NEX-7 or an OM-D when it comes out. People are going to great lengths to get either of these. The GH2 was unavailable for the better part of half a year when it first hit the streets. Well designed gear flies off the shelves. The K-01 has been readily available from day one. This in it's self is a prime indicator that Pentax dropped the ball with this one. I hope that the OP is right and next iteration is all we really want and designed by a photographer.
I could really see a third party company making a tripod mounts grip for the K-01. If not than I'm almost willing to go to a metal shop to make strictly a grip without any added features such as a release. BTW I couldn't help but notice the bottom plate of the camera... Besides the optional ac tether... Has anyone else noticed that the K-01 could indeed get a battery grip? it wouldn't be difficult to make a few adaptations along the assembly line for Pentax.

As for the Pentax availability; this would be difficult to determine, because both Pentax and any retailer would be (shall we state) hesitant to rtelease numbers. I noticed on at least three occasions for (also) three different stores; that these locations ran out of stock and indeed had back-orders. So the initial relase numbers here in North america wouldn't be all that bad; probably many hundreds on the street. I would also welcome someone (actually anyone) somehow posting without using their real name as to how well it is selling.

...And from overseas... I've been directly relayed info that in Europe and also throughout Asia; that they've been flying off the shelf. By the end of this year the K-01 might very well be Pentax's second best selling camera body. Also with some very minor refinements - it would become the new flagship - not all that difficult to actually obtain this.

I would also like to compare the K-01 with items like the entire Olympus line (especially their mirrorless) and the Nikon line as well (noth mirrorless and also their prosumer viewfinder); and even the Ganon G series. Also noting... I'm almost to the "point of" being able to prove that two other camera companies are indeed following the Pentax lead - and in the process of making their version of the K-01,
04-04-2012, 04:24 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Also noting... I'm almost to the "point of" being able to prove that two other camera companies are indeed following the Pentax lead - and in the process of making their version of the K-01,
Ah, well let's add to these to the list. More missing features:
  • A Canon label
  • A Nikon label

While we're at it, please please please Pentax, remove this ridiculous sensor-based image stabilisation. Lens based stabilisation is good for business, is it not?
04-04-2012, 04:53 AM   #19
Banned

Actually the stabilization thing would depend upon the focal length. I've found that at (and below) 300mm (but also limiting this to non full frame models) that Pentax does a better job at using the internal-body sensors as opposed to the lens based ones.

It's amazing that cameras such as the Pentax K-5 and K-01 do better at these focal lengths than cameras such as the flagship Canon's and Nikon's, and about the same as Sony highest end model.

But kind to think of it, why not even offer the option of both?

04-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Actually the stabilization thing would depend upon the focal length. I've found that at (and below) 300mm (but also limiting this to non full frame models) that Pentax does a better job at using the internal-body sensors as opposed to the lens based ones.

It's amazing that cameras such as the Pentax K-5 and K-01 do better at these focal lengths than cameras such as the flagship Canon's and Nikon's, and about the same as Sony highest end model.

But kind to think of it, why not even offer the option of both?
Sorry mate, I should have made it clearer that my tongue was firmly in cheek. I'm a huge fan of in-body image stabilisation: I really can't see myself buying into a system that doesn't do this. I can see of course why you'd be more ambivalent, with a background in medium format.

It may well be the case the lens-based stabilisation is more effective at longer focal lengths -- in which case it may well make sense for Pentax to offer stabilisation built into the upcoming 560mm. Not that I'm expecting this.
04-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #21

Some whishes

Some wishes to make the K-01 a better (video-)camera:

1. optional digital-zoom: the basic idea is to use – say – 35 mm with 2 X digital-zoom instead of a 70 mm, giving a far greater focus depth. The zoom should step-less, and controllable by (at least) the menu-system.
    Notice that the K-01 - compared with camcorders and other mirrorless cameras - suffers from a narrower focus-depth, because of its bigger sensor. Having a digital-zoom would help overcome this problem.
  2. optional MJPEG-compression (of the K-5) for HD-videos. The H.264-compression is nice in giving smaller file-sizes, but it has a strong tendency to “smear” areas like grass, waves, fur etc. If you want a high-quality beauty/artsy-recording, the MJPEG-option is often better choice.
  3. optional hot-shoe eye-viewfinder. Good for intensive sun-light situations. I think the Olympus PEN-cameras (among others) has such available (see also 4. and 5.)
  4. flip or swirlable display (I guess this is as much a question about cost as design/functionality)
  5. I have this from a guy on “flickr.com”: microphone-output and/or visual indication of recorded sound-levels. The HDMI-port should allow “live viewing” of recoding, not only playback.
04-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #22

I too was dissapointed with the lack of a remote socket. I shoot mainly night shots with my K7 with settings from previous posters. However I was contemplating a companion camera and when I read on the K-01 I was hyped! I can live without the viewfinder and paying less than a K-5, but I use ZAP SHOT almost exclusively and you can imagine my hopes go down the drain!

The idea is perfect...but I cannot see myself using that IR remote. Plus can someone explain to me why have a BULB setting that does not work with the optional IR remote? What is the point?

I did not want to get the K5 only because I have the K7 and features are very similar other than the sensor. but looks like I will have to wait...

04-16-2012, 02:16 AM   #23
Banned

For now the bulb etting is a bit on the convenient side; but there is a way around it.

It would first be assumed that the exposure would be more than thirty seconds; because the camera can use that range under regular shutter speeds. This should also work at about any shutter speed length while on the bulb setting.

Set the custom setting in camera to option two. This way you have to trigger the shutter buttom twice; once to get the shutter to open the second to close it. Since the camera would most likely be on a sturdy tripod for the image the bumping of the camera would in fact not be noticeable. If one is still concerned one could even still use the the lesn cap or any other pbject to block out the lens from colecting anything.

It's not the most ideal solution but it actually works. I've tried exposures of a variety of shutter speeds outside of the thirty second range when in bulb mode; from just over thirty seconds to many minutes; none were effected when using the second option
04-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #24

Well for me the missing features just were too many to overcome. After a lot of thought, I picked up a brand new GH2 for $599. I will wait for the K-02 with proper shape, ie grip, and a EVF either built in or add on, preferable built in. I already have a couple of nice Panasonic lenses and an Novoflex adapter for my K lenses. So back to the sidelines for me and Pentax for a MILC.
04-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
Well for me the missing features just were too many to overcome. After a lot of thought, I picked up a brand new GH2 for $599. I will wait for the K-02 with proper shape, ie grip, and a EVF either built in or add on, preferable built in. I already have a couple of nice Panasonic lenses and an Novoflex adapter for my K lenses. So back to the sidelines for me and Pentax for a MILC.
The camera you describe will likely be the K-r replacement and might be here by the end of May..
04-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #26

What else is new....

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The camera you describe will likely be the K-r replacement and might be here by the end of May..
That would be the story of my life, but even if so, I would still have one very nice movie camera. Still would depend on the OVF. The smaller Olympus bodies had horrible OVFs so I would take a half good EVF over one of them. To be seen.
04-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #27
Banned

The camera you describe will likely be the K-r replacement and might be here by the end of May

Am I reading this one correctly? A new Pentax digital SLR body within about the next six to seven weeks?

Also; what would be the odds of a second version of the K-01 (such as a K-02) within about the next 11-15 months? Possible, remotely possible??
04-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Am I reading this one correctly? A new Pentax digital SLR body within about the next six to seven weeks?

Also; what would be the odds of a second version of the K-01 (such as a K-02) within about the next 11-15 months? Possible, remotely possible??
Just my guess since I'm not a NDA tester. I think changing the entry-level dSLR line to mirrorless, evf but traditional body makes a lot of sense for Pentax. If not, why else are they waiting to release it (just another penta-mirror dSLR - so what. K-01 with an EVF - that would be different!!)
04-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #29

Just my guess since I'm not a NDA tester. I think changing the entry-level dSLR line to mirrorless, evf but traditional body makes a lot of sense for Pentax. If not, why else are they waiting to release it (just another penta-mirror dSLR - so what. K-01 with an EVF - that would be different!!)
Now that would be nice, let's wait a see...