Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-01 Missing Features

After reading the excellent Pentax Forums review on the new K-01, which I thought was excellent, and well organized. I was excited to have a chance to evaluate it as a quiet, remote operated ‘set’ camera, even though it is not weather sealed, and even though I was not a fan of the design. The potential to have remote operated 1080p video was also very interesting.

I currently use a Canon G11 as a remote operated camera with a Pentax Infra-Red Remote Control System (Range 60m) and also a radio remote (range about 1km).

On faith, I sold the G11, Really Right stuff L bracket, Machined aluminum snoot for filter mounting, extra batteries etc., and headed to my favorite shop to buy the K-01.

As I was looking it over I was astonished to find there was no remote release jack and there is only a front infra-red receptor. My subjects refuse to trigger the camera for me

PENTAX : PENTAX Photo Gallery artist page

What a bummer of a disappointment. These missing features may be minor to some users, but it was a “deal breaker” for me. In my opinion it is a bit of “design over substance”, and sadly, a missed opportunity for Pentax with a camera that had real potential.

Two items should be added to the “Cons” page of the camera reviews:

(1) Lack of remote shutter release socket/jack
(2) Lack of rear facing infra-red receiver.

As a result I found a $920 deal on a third K5, so all is well that ends well.

Murray

03-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I was one of the first to complain about the lack of a cable jack for the shutter or remote operation and the forward facing infrared window. After complaining for a week, than i just let it go, K01 had been too compromised for me to buy it. Too bad, i could have been a buyer. They made the same mistake on the Kx i believe.

To be fair to Pentax, a lot of early models from every manufacturer seem to be "not quite there" in their design. The manufacturers probably think they are preventing the undercutting of higher model sales. I think often they are just losing sales to other manufacturers. Some examples from my bad memory:

a. Look at the Nex 5n, no hotshoe. I don't know that much about even earlier Nex versions, but i think they were lacking in other areas. Finally by Nex 7, they got it right.

b. Buggy slow software but outstanding IQ and viewfinder in the Fuji X100. Buyers still seemed to like it.

c. Canon G11, 11 versions of the same model. They drop in new features then delete them the next version e.g i think they had a fast f2 lens in the G6 at one time, up to 12 mp in G10, back to 10mp in G11, and didn't they delete RAW files at one time, or i might be confusing it with something else. Design by committee i guess.

I think i'll stop there before i piss off too many people by mentioning other brands. Getting back too Pentax, I hope like Sony's Nex and Fuji's X series, that Pentax continues to refine the K01. As far as buying a camera, its the old cliche about glass half full or glass half empty. It probably doesn't pay to be too obsessive in either direction.

I can understand deleting hardware features to reach a price point, but to delete software features that don't cost money, or delete hardware items that don't cost much, like not putting a hotshoe on a camera? What -- are they afraid an entry level camera will be too popular

K5 and me: Yes, its got faults, but i like having it in hand.

Last edited by philbaum; 03-31-2012 at 01:04 PM.
03-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #3

Add EVF option and the lost grip. This could have been a killer cam.So what if it cost more but had all the features expected of MILC these days.Try to get a NEX-7 or an OM-D when it comes out. People are going to great lengths to get either of these. The GH2 was unavailable for the better part of half a year when it first hit the streets. Well designed gear flies off the shelves. The K-01 has been readily available from day one. This in it's self is a prime indicator that Pentax dropped the ball with this one. I hope that the OP is right and next iteration is all we really want and designed by a photographer.
03-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
Banned

Well not having that remotecontrol option is a bummer, but it wasn't on all camera's to that level (K-m, K-x and K-r) so it isn't new to this level.

03-31-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Not so long ago at a social lunch I made a kind of a game out of my K20D with 35mm macro mounted. I set the camera to suitable settings (via Tav mode) and Centre AF. At this point I handed it around the table, telling people to just snap off a few images -- the only trick being to half-press the shutter button to obtain focus. The resulting images weren't high art, but the overall collection was very good -- it captured the spirit of the moment from a great variety of perspectives, and it gave everyone a sense of shared ownership of the result.

When I saw the K-01, I immediately thought that this has the makings of a very "social" camera, that could be used in ways like this, as well as non-threatening option for street shooting, concerts and so on. In fact, I'm tempted to think that this friendly, social character was very much a design goal. (Some of the advertising seems to say as much.)

All this is a way of saying that any enhancements should augment this "friendly but high quality" character. So, as much as it may offend the traditionalists, I'd suggest a few more iPhone-ish touches in the next generation. In particular, I'd like to see built-in WiFi and related sharing options, perhaps even a dedicated "cloud"-based service as part of the package.
03-31-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
Not so long ago at a social lunch I made a kind of a game out of my K20D with 35mm macro mounted. I set the camera to suitable settings (via Tav mode) and Centre AF. At this point I handed it around the table, telling people to just snap off a few images -- the only trick being to half-press the shutter button to obtain focus. The resulting images weren't high art, but the overall collection was very good -- it captured the spirit of the moment from a great variety of perspectives, and it gave everyone a sense of shared ownership of the result.

When I saw the K-01, I immediately thought that this has the makings of a very "social" camera, that could be used in ways like this, as well as non-threatening option for street shooting, concerts and so on. In fact, I'm tempted to think that this friendly, social character was very much a design goal. (Some of the advertising seems to say as much.)

All this is a way of saying that any enhancements should augment this "friendly but high quality" character. So, as much as it may offend the traditionalists, I'd suggest a few more iPhone-ish touches in the next generation. In particular, I'd like to see built-in WiFi and related sharing options, perhaps even a dedicated "cloud"-based service as part of the package.
I think you are on to something here. I'm going to try out that pass-around idea at a couples bridal shower next weekend.
03-31-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think you are on to something here. I'm going to try out that pass-around idea at a couples bridal shower next weekend.
Cheers monochrome, looking forward to hearing how that goes.

As I mentioned, I had the 35mm macro mounted, and it worked brilliantly because of its close focal range. We were at a Japanese restaurant, so everyone was sitting down, and common subjects were very close, primarily:
  • the person next to me; or
  • stuff on the table in front of me.
If people will be standing at the bridal shower, then you'll probably have more latitude as far as minimum focal distance is concerned.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the standard camera strap was quite cumbersome in this context. So it would help if you attach a smaller, less intrusive strap.

03-31-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
Cheers monochrome, looking forward to hearing how that goes.
It occurs to me there are movies possible, too.
04-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by oneill Quote
As I was looking it over I was astonished to find there was no remote release jack and there is only a front infra-red receptor. My subjects refuse to trigger the camera for me
Serious question as this is a small problem I'm facing, too. I say small because I do most of my work with film cameras and I just use old-fashioned cable releases for those, but I would like to know: do you have to be in direct line of sight for IF remotes to work? Will the IF receptor work if you hold the remote trigger from the side or even just by moving your hand forward enough to where the sensor can read the signal? If not, it seems like it's a rather limited technology.
04-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
Serious question as this is a small problem I'm facing, too. I say small because I do most of my work with film cameras and I just use old-fashioned cable releases for those, but I would like to know: do you have to be in direct line of sight for IF remotes to work? Will the IF receptor work if you hold the remote trigger from the side or even just by moving your hand forward enough to where the sensor can read the signal? If not, it seems like it's a rather limited technology.
IR rays can't go around corners.

I don't have a K-r. How do these missing features compare to the entry-level dSLR body?
04-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #11

IR rays can't go around corners.
So yeah - a limited technology. Then the lack of any other way to set off a remote release, except for setting the self-timer, yes, that is irritating. I was trying to use the auto-bracketing feature to make HDR photos, but of course I was getting some shake. But then you can't use the self-timer and the auto-bracketing features at the same time, or at least I haven't found a way to do so. Of course I can use the self-timer and manually bracket, but these newfangled digicams are supposed to be all about the convenience.
04-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So yeah - a limited technology. Then the lack of any other way to set off a remote release, except for setting the self-timer, yes, that is irritating. I was trying to use the auto-bracketing feature to make HDR photos, but of course I was getting some shake. But then you can't use the self-timer and the auto-bracketing features at the same time, or at least I haven't found a way to do so. Of course I can use the self-timer and manually bracket, but these newfangled digicams are supposed to be all about the convenience.
Again, does the K-r have a rear IR receiver? I've heard that some users reach slightly around or under the camera out of the FoV and engage the remote. Someone else mentioned a reflective assembly on the tripod legs.

I think this camera is for PnS people and as a second camera for sophisticated enthusiasts. It isn't a "First" camera. It is for people who put it on the table on its flat bottom or side and use the remote for self-shooting only.

FWIW, if I need to use a remote from the rear I'll use my K10D. Of course it doesn't have HDR. What I can't figure is why they put HDR in the camera.
04-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote

To be fair to Pentax, a lot of early models from every manufacturer seem to be "not quite there" in their design. The manufacturers probably think they are preventing the undercutting of higher model sales. I think often they are just losing sales to other manufacturers. Some examples from my bad memory:

a. Look at the Nex 5n, no hotshoe. I don't know that much about even earlier Nex versions, but i think they were lacking in other areas. Finally by Nex 7, they got it right.

b. Buggy slow software but outstanding IQ and viewfinder in the Fuji X100. Buyers still seemed to like it.

c. Canon G11, 11 versions of the same model. They drop in new features then delete them the next version e.g i think they had a fast f2 lens in the G6 at one time, up to 12 mp in G10, back to 10mp in G11, and didn't they delete RAW files at one time, or i might be confusing it with something else. Design by committee i guess.
Agree that all manufacturers did not get it right the first time, but IMO they still have not got it right the 2nd or X times.

NEX - still not right without the good/small/fast lenses. Higher MP sensor created more problems than it solved (ie. colored and soft edges; noiser o/p)
Nex7 did listen and improve over the interface of the 5n which was a big compliant so a thumbs up for them for that.

Xpro - Interface and slow AF inherited from X100 (hmm.... ). They did 'improve' on the retro styling though, making it even more retro desirable

Canon G series - I can live with all the previous version being advanced pns. The latest one G1X is the size of a K-01 with smaller sensor, slow non-changeable lens. To me the worst MILC choice there is now. (Canon fans have the right to disagree)

The frustrating part about K-01 and the Fuji Xpro was that they had a chance to observe from the sidelines when ver1 of NEX, NX, m4/3 were out there and they still managed to 'screw up' by not fully giving everything most ppl asked for.
04-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #14

Again, does the K-r have a rear IR receiver?
Dunno. I don't have a K-r. I guess I could Google this question for you ... OK, done. No, it does not.

QuoteQuote:
I've heard that some users reach slightly around or under the camera out of the FoV and engage the remote.
See, that was was really my question. Does the infrared have to be in direct line of sight?
04-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

See, that was was really my question. Does the infrared have to be in direct line of sight?
Pretty much, yeah, unfortunately. The main difference between the K-01 and the K-r as far as ports go is that there's no cable release. For casual users, I'm not sure they'll really care, but a rear IR port would be nice just because even a $300 Pentax P&S has two.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: