Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Personally, I'm still surprised that as many people seem to like the K-01 as they do.
And to me it's screamingly obvious why they do. (Sorry, I'm hogging the thread.)

It's really not that different from other cameras. I'm using it daily much as I would other digital cameras I've owned. Many of its so-called failings are shared by other cameras in its class. Many of the complaints about the K-01 have been pulled from thin air.

What are the two most important things we want in a camera? IQ and lens choice. Then we balance that against price. Shouldn't that make the K-01 pretty compelling?

04-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I think he probably values a camera's function over its look.

Actually, it sounds just the opposite to me. He seems to be ignoring a valid camera simply based on looks. He wouldn't be alone in that. How many people on here have put down the K-01 because of it's design, saying, "I don't care if a designer did it! All I care about is how it works?" Obviously, they DO care about it's looks.
04-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #18

Original Poster
Would it be so hard for him to respond in a comment thread with a simple "Sorry, I have no interest in reviewing this camera"?
My point is that a photo editor who takes money from his public (that includes me) can't arbitrarily decide not to show interest. And it's not that there won't be a review, it's that there is no mention whatsoever. Nada. Zilch. That doesn't strike you as strange?
04-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
He seems to be ignoring a valid camera simply based on looks.
Well, we don't know, cuz he won't tell us.

04-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mervis Quote
My point is that a photo editor who takes money from his public (that includes me) can't arbitrarily decide not to show interest.
Wow, such entitlement. He most certainly can decide what products he will review on his website. Donations do not entitle you to anything. Donations should show your appreciation for what he has done, NOT indenture him to do what you want. You're entirely free to cease donating, or reading, but he doesn't owe you a thing.
04-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Wow, such entitlement. He most certainly can decide what products he will review on his website. Donations do not entitle you to anything. Donations should show your appreciation for what he has done, NOT indenture him to do what you want. You're entirely free to cease donating, or reading, but he doesn't owe you a thing.
I agree to a large degree but would add that he does owe an answer to a civil question from someone who has donated, even if the answer is "I do not want to, sorry."
04-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #22

Original Poster
but he doesn't owe you a thing.
Once again, I'm not talking about what I want, I'm talking about Johnston being a professional.

And you keep using the word "review". We all know he doesn't do formal reviews, but he does mention products as they come out. As a nod to fairness, to his readers, to Pentax (one of his advertisers), could we at least get a mention? That's not exactly an indenture. I guess you need to use extreme words to defend an extreme position.

04-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Once again, I'm not talking about what I want, I'm talking about Johnston being a professional.

And you keep using the word "review". We all know he doesn't do formal reviews, but he does mention products as they come out. As a nod to fairness, to his readers, to Pentax (one of his advertisers), could we at least get a mention? That's not exactly an indenture. I guess you need to use extreme words to defend an extreme position.
I've always found the site mentions new cameras that are either unique, high end, specifically very good/new selling points or something he takes an interest in. I don't think the K-01 falls into any of those categories. Given the tone of this thread I'm not at all surprised to hear no response. TOP is most definitely not obligated to post up the K-01, it is swimming in a large pool of entry level cameras with few unique features - it is nothing new, except the polarizing skin.
04-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #24
Forum Member

Because he is so design conscious and because Pentax is the only camera company that advertises on his site, I'm left to conclude that he hates it but has decided not to antagonize his advertiser. Surely, if he liked it he would have said something. I too have asked why he hasn't said anything and got no response. How many threads has he had where he moans about how ugly a car is or about how a camera feels and looks? There's no question that he has an opinion of the k-01, but there's also no question that there could be repercussions if he disses it. If it is the case that he hates it, not saying anything might be all he can do. The alternatives are the possible loss of a sponsor or lying to keep the sponsor. Maybe silence is his best option.
04-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What's New at The Luminous Landscape. Nothing. But. Nex. Fuji. Nex. Canon. Nikon. The silence is deafening.
04-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I agree to a large degree but would add that he does owe an answer to a civil question from someone who has donated, even if the answer is "I do not want to, sorry."
Wholeheartedly agree, as I said farther up. It's rude to not acknowledge the inquiries, for sure.

I guess you need to use extreme words to defend an extreme position.
I was reacting to your words that the site's author/owner "can't arbitrarily decide not to show interest." He most certainly can, it's his site, and he's made no commitment to you or your preferences. If you meant "can't" as in "it wouldn't be wise to" then my wording is a bit strong, but anything beyond that, I think it's appropriate, as it would demonstrate an overblown sense of entitlement.
04-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What's New at The Luminous Landscape. Nothing. But. Nex. Fuji. Nex. Canon. Nikon. The silence is deafening.
Pentax does not move the needle.
04-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #28
Forum Member

Michael Reichman in Luminous Landscape made a note that he usually make prodict announcements only when it has far reaching ramifications.... I guess K-01 does not fall under the category
Makes sense, for most of the enthusiasts it did not break any new ground, either in size or AF performance
But Pentax can still send him K-01 for review, he reviewed G1X,
04-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mugund Quote
Michael Reichman in Luminous Landscape made a note that he usually make prodict announcements only when it has far reaching ramifications.... I guess K-01 does not fall under the category
Makes sense, for most of the enthusiasts it did not break any new ground, either in size or AF performance
But Pentax can still send him K-01 for review, he reviewed G1X,
Exactly. And nobody seems to be too upset with Michael Reichman.
04-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
new cameras that are either unique, high end, specifically very good
K-01 meets all those markers.

QuoteOriginally posted by isaacc7 Quote
Maybe silence is his best option.
Omitting an opinion to please a sponsor? Isn't that the definition of a hack?

If you meant "can't" as in "it wouldn't be wise to"
I suppose I should have said "shouldn't". Rhetoric! Of course we don't expect a mention of every P&S or every entry-level DSLR, but mirrorless is de riguer right now. Every offering except the k-01 has been mentioned, even profiled. Once you cover the field like that, fair play demands that all such cameras get equal treatment, at least as news items. It's journalistic ethics. Would you be cool if he completely ignored the NEX-7 or X-pro1 while trumpeting everything else? I'm sure you'd find that curious. And curiosity is what's behind my complaint, not entitlement.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
And nobody seems to be too upset with Michael Reichman.
Reichmann is a notorious grouch. I expected more from Johnston.