Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #1

K-01 News Blackout

I don't know if this is important in the large scheme of things, but it will be of interest to the community here.

Does anyone here read The Online Photographer? It's been one of my favorite photo websites for the last 5 or 6 years - the prototype of the perfect clearinghouse for all things photographic. Shooting advice, gear news, humor, current events, book reviews, biographies. The editor, Michael Johnston, could very well be the best pure writer working on the web in the photo realm. Lately, though, the site has kind of lost its way. More and more stories about Johnston's personal life, off-topic stuff on cars, food, coffee, music. Not that I really minded. Like I said he's a great writer.

The most curious recent development, though, at least for the people here, is his absolute refusal to mention the K-01. Nothing about the announcement back in February and not a peep since. All the other major releases have been covered, some quite lavishly: the D800, the XPro1, the Nex-7, the Oly EM-5, the 5Diii, the Sigmas. A few of us have asked Johnston about the K-01 via the comment threads with no response, so it's not like he's unaware of interest in the camera.

Today he announced with fanfare the X-Pro1 is now available through B&H, so I sent a short comment wondering again why no mention of the K-01. He refused to post it. (Johnston moderates all comments before they get posted.) So I sent another (by now I was a little exasperated) and he seems to have blocked my URL. Very strange. Feels like an over-the-top reaction to defend a rather extreme editorial choice. Like they said about Watergate: It's not the crime it's the cover-up.

On his blog, Johnston solicits donations and subscriptions. One would expect an obligation from him to treat all brands equally. Also he gets a cut of gear sold through B&H. You'd think he'd want his Pentax lens-owning readers to have the chance to buy the K-01 through his site.

Anyway, not a huge deal, but puzzling.

04-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't read it, and from your current experience, I don't think I will ever read it
04-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mervis Quote
All the other major releases have been covered, some quite lavishly: the D800, the XPro1, the Nex-7, the Oly EM-5, the 5Diii, the Sigmas. A few of us have asked Johnston about the K-01 via the comment threads with no response, so it's not like he's unaware of interest in the camera
My first thought to the cameras you reference is this - all are enthusiast to 'pro' level, photographic tools, with prices to match. The K-01 has somewhat taken the route of form over function - considering that Mike Johnson would like nothing more than a dedicated B&W sensor camera, and I know he uses a GF1 (stated as much several times), I think he probably values a camera's function over its look. It could simply be a case of 'if you've got nothing good to say, don't say anything at all.' The K-01 might be of interest sure, but it is simply on a different level from the cameras you've referenced.
04-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe the K-01 stole his crush in high school or something?

04-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very strange, Mervis. Mike Johnston has long been a friend to Pentax, and has previously stated his belief that the Pentax FA Limiteds are the finest AF lenses made.
04-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That "omission" has already been noted on several discussion threads. One assumes TOP is being quite fair not slamming the K-01 given Johnson's history of glowing praise for certain Pentax lenses (DA35/2.4 Macro Ltd., FA Ltd's) and the Pentax ad placement top left. He's probably a viewfinder guy.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-03-2012 at 02:31 PM.
04-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Not covering the K-01 does not strike me as odd in the least. However, not responding to reasonable inquires from long-time readers does strike me as odd. Blocking your URL, if you only inquired about the lack of coverage and never got any response whatsoever, is out-and-out petty - to say the least. Doesn't matter how good a writer someone is when they behave that way. Thanks for the heads up, I'll avoid his place from here on out.

04-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
The K-01 might be of interest sure, but it is simply on a different level from the cameras you've referenced.
You're joking, right? The D800 & 5Diii aside, the K-01 is exactly on the level of the others with a few advantages - better IQ than the Oly, better lens choice than the NEX-7, much cheaper than the XPro1.

Whether a major photo editor personally likes something or not, he should act like an adult and say SOMETHING. I don't care if he pans it, but at least bring it into the discussion.
04-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
One assumes TOP is being quite fair not slamming the K-01...
Before he's even seen it, or handled it, or seen results??? That's fair?
04-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #10

Original Poster
photographic tools
Is that your position? That the K-01 isn't a photographic tool? Because I can prove otherwise.

and I know he uses a GF1
K-01 IQ is a couple of levels above the GF1. I know this from personal experience.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
He's a viewfinder guy.
Not so sure about that - he's posted pix that were shot using the screen.
04-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Is that your position? That the K-01 isn't a photographic tool? Because I can prove otherwise.

K-01 IQ is a couple of levels above the GF1. I know this from personal experience.

better IQ than the Oly, better lens choice than the NEX-7, much cheaper than the XPro1.

Whether a major photo editor personally likes something or not, he should act like an adult and say SOMETHING. I don't care if he pans it, but at least bring it into the discussion.
My reference to those cameras being photographic tools is purely a reference to their feature accessibility, not to the user behind it. Hence the subsequent reference to form over function.

I wasn't saying the GF1 takes better images than the K-01, the reference again is to a better form/usability factor (imho).

Better IQ than m4/3 is marginal at this point, lens choices for the nex no argument there, fuji is aiming at a higher end market (i.e. leica users). My point being that the cameras are aimed at the enthusiast market - just like TOP is - while the K-01 is not.

Finally, I've never particularly perceived TOP to be a camera review site, as far as what cameras he chooses to announce it is relatively arbitrary, but again aimed at the enthusiast end of the photography spectrum, and again, a market at which the K-01 is squarely not aimed at. I'm not saying you can't be an enthusiast and also enjoy the K-01, simply saying I wouldn't expect TOP to point out a camera such as the K-01. There really is nothing particularly ground-breaking about it (the Q I get, it is unique, the K-01 is just different).
04-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Before he's even seen it, or handled it, or seen results??? That's fair?
How do you know he hadn't seen it?
04-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
Forum Member

Mervis,
Its just a camera, please do not take things personally
Probably MJ is annoyed at getting multiple requests or he does not want to say anything bad at this point,
MJ is a good guy, he is reasonable. I think we just need to accept that K-01 is polarizing, some people just hate it, it does not mean anything.
First impressions count for a lot with lots of people, those people if they "hate" it, they might ignore it
Let us face the facts -
K-01 has good image quality, decent AF performance not as good as NEX/ m4/3 but still good enough
Cons are obvious - Polarizing design, when mirrorless started 3 years ago, people were excited about how portable the system is, K-01 is heavier on that count that itself might not be negative look @ sony DSC-R1, it was heavy but it was well received. It had a waistlevel VF, decent EVF etc
For image quality itself, people have access to NEX with top class Primes available in manual mode for enthusiasts who in general damn K-01
I think Pentax should have found a way to add EVF and swivel LCD ala G1X

I know you have spent lots of time with K-01, I appreciate your work but please dont take things hard....
04-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mugund Quote
Its just a camera, please do not take things personally
It's not about me. I was at pains to say not a big deal in the larger sense. And I will continue to enjoy the K-01.

But, a photographic publication ignoring a high-end camera is not a neutral act - it's negligence. Johnston has a responsibility to his readers, many of whom are Pentax users, to rise above his personal beefs. You shouldn't defend someone's professional failings by calling him "a good guy" - the world doesn't work that way. Once again, I don't care if he doesn't like the camera, but I'm interested to know why.

All these things we're hashing out in this thread could have been addressed at his site among himself and his readers. What's the harm in that? Why avoid the discussion? A little controversy, a little philosophizing - why not? Instead we have this aggressive, politburo-like attempt at erasure.
04-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Spurning reader inquiries is a dick move. Would it be so hard for him to respond in a comment thread with a simple "Sorry, I have no interest in reviewing this camera"?

Personally, I'm still surprised that as many people seem to like the K-01 as they do. I could see half a dozen deal breakers for me on the first day the specs came out. I certainly wouldn't fault anyone for not wanting to waste time reviewing it, but that's no excuse to be rude to one's readers.