Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-16-2013, 02:40 AM - 1 Like   #31

recently purchased a k-01 for the sole purpose of doing video work with it. but as with the original post, i cannot manually control exposure when an 'm' lens is attached. with af lenses, no problem...

hmm, i'd really love to use old manual lenses for video because of its smooth focusing ring movement.

i will wait for developments. thank you.

01-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #32
k02
Inactive Account

I also confirm this behaviour. I wish Pentax could at least offer a way to AE lock.

Does anybody have a fix for this behaviour ?

cheers
01-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #33

ditto - didnt expect the shifts in AE as I shoot with Manual lenses.
01-24-2013, 02:00 AM   #34
ibk
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the same problem and I'm waiting for solution from Pentax.

Other than that I think the problem is not with the manual control (shutter or aperture). Based on some tests I've done the problem is with the ISO - even if I set the ISO to specific number, it's still in AUTO. And that's the real problem.

01-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Is your ISO set to Auto or did you pick a manual ISO setting?

In Movie Mode I set the set the Menu "Exposure Setting" to "M" (the bottom line). In your video it appeared you chose Av - Aperture Priority.

I tried the experiment with an M100/2.8 and ... I used the Red Button to view Focus Peaking as I changed focus.
Monochrome, are you saying that Focus Peaking works in Video Mode for you ? How ?
03-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #36

I have the same problems, i.e. manual exposure lenses not allowing me adjust exposure... and the sound thing. I have a fairy decent external mic, and I can be in a very quiet environment and get a lot of noise. Very frustrating. I mean I can use like Adobe Audition to clean it up with pretty good results, but I still think it's unacceptable to have it be a problem in the first place. I'm just wondering if this is something that I can't do anything about--a problem on Pentax's end--or if there's some setting or way to fix it that I'm missing.
04-12-2013, 12:39 AM   #37

Alright, guys. I think I got something. Even if you don't get to set the ISO to a particular value, it keeps it from changing during shooting with a manual lens. Here goes:

Go into the menu and change the function of the button AF/AE-L with the little video camera symbol to AE lock. Now make sure ISO is set to AUTO, otherwise it won't work. Turn the ring on the lens to adjust aperture. Then use the e-dial to adjust shutter speed. Hit record and keep your camera pointed towards the scene you want to shoot. The camera will adjust ISO according to the light available. If you're happy hit the AF/AE-L button and you can continue shooting with a fixed ISO value.

So you can't really set the ISO to a value of your liking,, nor do you know what the camera locked it at. Strange, but manageable.

If anyone knows of a better way to do it, let me know.

Regards,

Martijn.

04-12-2013, 02:29 AM   #38
ibk
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thesoundpost Quote
Alright, guys. I think I got something. Even if you don't get to set the ISO to a particular value, it keeps it from changing during shooting with a manual lens. Here goes:

Go into the menu and change the function of the button AF/AE-L with the little video camera symbol to AE lock. Now make sure ISO is set to AUTO, otherwise it won't work. Turn the ring on the lens to adjust aperture. Then use the e-dial to adjust shutter speed. Hit record and keep your camera pointed towards the scene you want to shoot. The camera will adjust ISO according to the light available. If you're happy hit the AF/AE-L button and you can continue shooting with a fixed ISO value.

So you can't really set the ISO to a value of your liking,, nor do you know what the camera locked it at. Strange, but manageable.

If anyone knows of a better way to do it, let me know.

Regards,

Martijn.
Thanks for the info, Martijn.
04-12-2013, 02:57 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thesoundpost Quote
Alright, guys. I think I got something.
cool
it would make me so happy.
I'll give it a shot tonight!
04-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
Monochrome, are you saying that Focus Peaking works in Video Mode for you ? How ?
He meant that focus peaking works in movie mode before recording when assigning it to a button.
Quite useful.

Oh, about the iso problem, martijns solution works great. You can not see at what value you set it, but you can see it on the lcd though when noise gets too high..
Thanks for this!
Ps: funny, but when you treat an A lens as an M: so setting aperture with the ring, this trick don't seem to work. Not that it matters, but still strange.
04-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #41

Page 232 of the manual indicates not all the functions of M mode will work with M and P series lens.
06-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #42

Interesting discovery today - not sure if this has been mentioned cause I have not used the video mode for a while due to the auto exposure issue but I have a couple old pentax smc A lenses and shooting manual video with them, there is no light shifts but my m version of the same lenses adjusts automatically and the exposure changes on me. I dont get it but at least I have my "A" version lenses that allow me to control the light with video.
DMB
06-04-2013, 03:53 AM   #43

Set AE metering to Center Weighted so that it does not automatically adjust the exposure. This did it for me. If it is set to Multi-segment, it still adjusts exposure automatically even on AE-L.
06-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #44

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the same problem, and I don't see how it's anything but a bug. If this is a feature, it makes no sense since there is an M mode for video.

When I use a lens with an A-setting on the aperture ring, or a newer that is fully automatic, it does what it should, the exposure is completely controlled by me. Even if I use the aperture ring on them to control the aperture (so, not in the A-setting even if there is one), it works correctly.

But when I use a completely manual lense, like my SMC Pentax K 135mm f/2.5, M mode is broken. I have shutter speed at 1/50th for 24 FPS, I have ISO at a fixed value, not auto, and I start recording. When I adjust the aperture ring to change the aperture opening, it goes either darker or brighter depending on which way I turn, but only for a second, then it adjusts the exposure back to what it was before I changed the aperture.

I hope they fix this as manual focus photography and video are the two reasons why I got this camera, and I already have the K-5 which as a very bad video mode, I don't need another.
06-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #45

Try setting your AE metering to Center Weighted. The multi-point setting makes automatic exposure adjustments that are causing these flickers we are complaining about. I used to have that problem too.