Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-01 : Problem in video mode with manual lenses

Hello K-01 owners

What I like about the K-01 in video mode is the possibility to change the aperture and the shutter speed.

Using the 18-55mm DA lens, I could see the luminosity changing as I was playing around with the settings ( I was changing the aperture and shutter speed at 60fps )
However, when I used a manual lens, changing these settings didn't seem to do anything.

The camera would automatically pick his own aperture and shutter speed to have a correct luminosity.
I guess the camera can't let you control these settings with a manual lens.

Is there a way to manually control these settings with a manual lens ?

Thank you

Last edited by minilink; 04-04-2012 at 09:12 PM.
04-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
By manual, do you mean Manual Focus? Or fully Manual(No "A" mode)?

If it's Fully Manual, just set the Aperture yourself, and the ISO and shutter speed should adapt accordingly. If you mean manual focus...well, I don't really know what to say then.
04-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by minilink Quote
Hello K-01 owners

What I like about the K-01 in video mode is the possibility to change the aperture and the shutter speed.

Using the 18-55mm DA lens, I could see the luminosity changing as I was playing around with the settings ( I was changing the aperture and shutter speed at 60fps )
However, when I used a manual lens, changing these settings didn't seem to do anything.

The camera would automatically pick his own aperture and shutter speed to have a correct luminosity.
I guess the camera can't let you control these settings with a manual lens.

Is there a way to manually control these settings with a manual lens ?

Thank you
Please describe more fully which manual and and whcih Mode you were shooting in so we can offer suggestions.
04-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #4

I've set my Video Exposure Definition to M (Manual) and set the e-dial to video. After I press the shutter I can fully control the shutter speed and aperture. ISO is the only thing you can't change during recording. I tested this with my SMC-A 50mm f1.2 and it worked just fine. All the changes reflected in the image.

04-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #5

Original Poster
lens 1 : manual SMC Asahi Pentax 50mm f2.0
lens 2 : automatic 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 DA

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Please describe more fully which manual and and whcih Mode you were shooting in so we can offer suggestions.
I was using :
- an old manual SMC Asahi Pentax 50mm f2.0
- in the menu, under the video tab, I put the "exposure setting" to "M"

lens 1 : I could see and change (when recording using the manual SMC lens) the Shutter speed and Iso setting on the screen. (but can't change the aperture settings of course since I do that manually with the aperture ring).
Even though I set the shutter speed to 1/4000, the video shows blurry picture when filming something moving fast. (so I believe even though I set 1/4000 on the screen, it was NOT filming at 1/4000)
lens 2 : However, when using my 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 DA lens with a shutter speed also set to 1/4000, the picture was perfectly sharp when filming something moving fast (the movie lacked of luminosity though since I was shooting at 60fps, 1/4000 and f3.5)

lens 1 : Again with the manual SMC and video mode set to "M", the brightness seems to automatically change when I'm filming from a dark area to a brighter area.
lens 2 : With the 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 DA lens, this doesn't change automatically and I have to manually change the apperture or iso or shutter speed in order to fix the luminosity.

I hope that I've made myself clear and understandable.
I'm sorry I'm french !

Voila !

Last edited by minilink; 04-05-2012 at 12:40 PM.
04-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, you are quite clear. We are accustomed from film camera days to having one fixed ISO and only able to change Aperture or Shutter Speed (and maybe exposure compensation).

I will try to duplicate - but even in manual the K-01 will attempt to find a proper exposure if you leave ISO set to a variable range, and may well also try to adjust shutter speed by up to +/- 3 stops if ISO is fixed or reaches its (custom set) boundaries. With a MF lens you take away one potential variable as the cam searches for a 4-factor exposure solution (Av, Tv, ISO and Exposure Comp) Once the meter calculates what it thinks is the correct exposure value it will always try to expose +/- 3 to this exposure value. Using an automatic lens restores all potential variables.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-06-2012 at 08:19 AM.
04-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yes, you are quite clear. We are accustomed from film camera days to ahving one fixed ISO and only able to change Aperture or Shutter Speed (and maybe exposure compensation.

I will try to duplicate - but even in manual the K-01 will attempt to find a proper exposure if you leave ISO set to a variable, range and may well also try to adjust shutter speed by up to +/- 3 stops if ISO is fixed or reaches its (custom set) boundaries. With a MF lens you take away one potential variable as the cam searches for a 4-factor exposure solution (Av, Tv, ISO and Exposure Comp) Once the meter calculates what it thinks is the correct exposure value it will always try to expose +/- 3 to this exposure value. Using an automatic lens resotres all potential variables.
Thank you for your quick anwer,

Now I understand that using a manual lens, the camera will automatically try to find an appropriate exposure solution.

Now just a quick question :
- Is it possible to force the camera to lock our own settings of shutter speed and ISO, using a manual lens. Just like it does with an automatic lens ?
I suppose the answer is no.
04-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Now I understand that using a manual lens, the camera will automatically try to find an appropriate exposure solution.

- Is it possible to force the camera to lock our own settings of shutter speed and ISO, using a manual lens. Just like it does with an automatic lens ?
I'll have to claim innocence - I haven't fully explored the video yet, though I'm going to guess there is a way - we just have to ferret it out. Member jogiba might know. PM if you don't see a reply soon

04-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #9
Banned

I just tried my K-01 with a SMC-Pentax -M F1.7 50mm lens in manual video mode and when I set the shutter speed to 1/125 sec @ F8 and 100iso it flashes the 1/125sec and 100 iso settings red on the LCD and you could see the scene get dark and underexposed. When I turn the aperture ring to F1.7 it turns from red to white to show the exposure is correct. It does not show the F stop on the LCD but I have the green button re-mapped to show the DOF/exposure that works great with manual lenses.
04-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I just tried my K-01 with a SMC-Pentax -M F1.7 50mm lens in manual video mode and when I set the shutter speed to 1/125 sec @ F8 and 100iso it flashes the 1/125sec and 100 iso settings red on the LCD and you could see the scene get dark and underexposed. When I turn the aperture ring to F1.7 it turns from red to white to show the exposure is correct. It does not show the F stop on the LCD but I have the green button re-mapped to show the DOF/exposure that works great with manual lenses.
All right, I'm going to post a video showing that what you have just done doesn't work with my camera.

I will try to post it as soon as possible.
04-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #11

Original Poster
I made the video explaining my problem.
Sorry for my english, but I tried my best.
I hope you can understand me.
04-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It was clear, don't worry. It seems since the lens is manual, the camera meters by itself and not via aperture info, since there isn't any.
04-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Is your ISO set to Auto or did you pick a manual ISO setting?

In Movie Mode I set the set the Menu "Exposure Setting" to "M" (the bottom line). In your video it appeared you chose Av - Aperture Priority.

I tried the experiment with an M100/2.8 and a manual ISO of 1000, which was not high enough for any aperture/shutter speed, then at 3200. At 3200, Tv 125 and setting the aperture ring to f/11 the indicators were flashing red 1/125 and F ___ . At f/2.8 the indicators were fixed white 1/125 and F___ . The resulting test movie was exactly as was shown on the LCD. I used the Red Button to view Focus Peaking as I changed focus.
04-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #14

Original Poster
I picked a manual ISO and I made sure my "exposure settings" is set to M (in the video it's the bottom one and not AV).
It's a little bit inconvenient for me since I can't have complete control of my video with a manual lens
I hope that I'll be able to figure out a way to fix that in the future.

Thank you everyone who tried to help me, I really appreciate.
04-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

I picked a manual ISO and I made sure my "exposure settings" is set to M (in the video it's the bottom one and not AV).
I asked that because in your video it looked as if you accidentally selected the middle one - Av. I understand the desire to use a manual lens and control your exposure - but it looks like the camera can maintain a constant EV in changing light as you move across a natural-lit scene with the automatic settings. Something to consider.