Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2012, 11:00 PM   #1

Removing Stains from K-01

Hello guys!

I'm new to this forum and just sold off my Sony NEX-C3 a couple of weeks back and immediately got myself a yellow K-01.

Recently I've noticed some "black stains" on some of the rubber parts. They are very minimal but can be seen upon closer inspection. I have to admit though, that it bothers me alot!

I've tried removing them with the following methods: rubbing with an eraser, "scrubbing" wet towel soaked in dishwashing liquid and even toothpaste! But they are still there! Has anyone found a fix to this yet?

04-06-2012, 01:02 AM   #2
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
try Coke and vodka.
04-06-2012, 05:17 AM   #3

Well maybe the black body is nicer after all!!!
04-06-2012, 05:37 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you sense-or can you tell if they are oily stains and maybe coming from flipping your dials and buttons too fast? Do they affect your images? Can you show us a picture of them?

Last edited by monochrome; 04-07-2012 at 07:35 AM.
04-06-2012, 06:37 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by uhuglueee Quote
Hello guys!

I'm new to this forum and just sold off my Sony NEX-C3 a couple of weeks back and immediately got myself a yellow K-01.

Recently I've noticed some "black stains" on some of the rubber parts. They are very minimal but can be seen upon closer inspection. I have to admit though, that it bothers me alot!

I've tried removing them with the following methods: rubbing with an eraser, "scrubbing" wet towel soaked in dishwashing liquid and even toothpaste! But they are still there! Has anyone found a fix to this yet?
Make a paste of half a cup of baking soda and 1/8 cup of water (or your country's metric equivalents). Spread the paste on the stains in a thick layer and let it sit for around 15 minutes. Then, dunk an old toothbrush in white vinegar and scrub away the paste. Wipe away the residue with a rag soaked in the white vinegar. Repeat the process as necessary until the stains are completely gone.

(Found by Googling the phrase "cleaning stains from rubber")
04-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
try Coke and vodka.
Good idea! The stains will still be there, but the OP will be relaxed and refreshed.
04-06-2012, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Good idea! The stains will still be there, but the OP will be relaxed and refreshed.
I prefer a nice bourbon instead. I find my attitude towards these things improves immensely following 1-2 of these.
04-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Can you show us the stain ? If it is oil based, I'd use an organic solvent of sort, probably starting with Alcohol, Goobegone, lighter fuel or acetone in that order. That said, some rubber are also soluble in organic solvents, i.e. will melt, so I'd try any of these solvent in an inconspicuous place first to see if it affects the surface or not if it were me. Failing all of that, it may be a die contamination in the coloring. Was this black stain there when you got the camera ? Pentax should be able to provide replacement parts easily for the rubber covers.

04-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
Can you show us the stain ? If it is oil based, I'd use an organic solvent of sort, probably starting with Alcohol, Goobegone, lighter fuel or acetone in that order. That said, some rubber are also soluble in organic solvents, i.e. will melt, so I'd try any of these solvent in an inconspicuous place first to see if it affects the surface or not if it were me.
The manual specifically warns NOT to use alcohol, acetone or any solvent of that nature on the camera.
04-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I wonder if P-R did tests on the camera covering with DEET-based insect repellent? That stuff eats through naughahide like it was butter. Could be an unpleasant summer insect season surprise for a few people.
04-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
I wonder if P-R did tests on the camera covering with DEET-based insect repellent? That stuff eats through naughahide like it was butter. Could be an unpleasant summer insect season surprise for a few people.
Yes, but that holds for just about all cameras as they all have some sort of rubber grip. I make sure to wash my hands after using insect repellant.
04-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
Well maybe the black body is nicer after all!!!
What

I guess that the yellow bird in my pigsty will get dirty very quickly too.