Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #1

K-01 and dust

I own the tiny Q with the newest dust reduction system and have had zero issues so far despite constantly switching between three lenses. I understand that for some strange reason Pentax chose to install the older and less effective dust reduction system in the K-01 and from what I have researched of that older solution implemented on previous Pentax DSLR models, people will get dust on their sensors - and visible on everyday photos - despite being very careful. I owned Sony NEX-3 and I was utterly frustrated by the ineffectiveness of its dust reduction system, ruining my sky shots and such almost every time unless I used the rocket blower at least once after each lens change (always indoors, always having to take white wall shots to check and recheck and re-blow ad nauseam) and sometimes even had to clean the sensor with special swabs. Previously I had owned two m4/3 cameras, Panasonic G1 and Olympus E-P1 with mutliple lenses, never a speck of dust on any of my photographs, so maybe I am spoiled, but the big question remains: what is the experience of K-01 owners? This is the real deal breaker to me, I can just about tolerate the degenerate design.

Last edited by Kirill_est; 04-06-2012 at 07:18 AM.
04-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
No dust here. Not a speck, so far. And I swap out lenses frequently.
04-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kirill_est Quote
I understand that for some strange reason Pentax chose to install the older and less effective dust reduction system in the K-01
because it fits in the smaller, differently-shaped body
and from what I have researched of that older solution implemented on previous Pentax DSLR models, people will get dust on their sensors - and visible on everyday photos - despite being very careful.
Sensor dust is a fact of life but should not be an every day occurrence. [EDIT:ed out factual error] Though you researched and read posts here and saw images, those were from people who had dust. People who don't have dust never make a post that says, "I don't have dust!!!!" So you could have used might instead of will get dust on the sensor.
I owned Sony NEX-3 and I was utterly frustrated by the ineffectiveness of its dust reduction system, ruining my sky shots and such almost every time unless I used the rocket blower at least once after each lens change (always indoors, always having to take white wall shots to check and recheck and re-blow ad nauseam) and sometimes even had to clean the sensor with special swabs. Previously I had owned two m4/3 cameras, Panasonic G1 and Olympus E-P1 with mutliple lenses, never a speck of dust on any of my photographs, so maybe I am spoiled, but the big question remains: what is the experience of K-01 owners? This is the real deal breaker to me, I can just about tolerate the degenerate design.
There can be no correlation between your experience with your cameras in the past and our experience with our K-01's, nor can there be a correlation between our experience and your experience.

That being said, I haven't had a speck of dust yet and I've changed lenses a lot because I'm experimenting with manual focusing all my lenses and AF testing all my AF lenses. .

Last edited by monochrome; 04-06-2012 at 09:01 AM.
04-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Sensor dust is a fact of life but should not be an every day occurrence. A MILC is not a dSLR. The K-01 shutter is closed at rest, not open, so the sensor is not exposed when you change lenses.
Shutter is also closed at rest with a dslr.

04-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
If a digital camera costs less than two hundred or more than 40k++ it still wll eventualy get something onto it's sensor. Yet one can naturally take precautions to try to limit that type of expose to materials which may find their way onto the sensor.

With the K-01; there are three factors which would help the sensor to hold up better against debris.

1. Even though the sensor is in fact blocked off when changing lens', that... One should still use a bit of caution when changing lens; as some type of debris might find it ways into the chamber between the lens connection and the sensor. Also of note; this is exactly where moisture can in fact completely destroy a camera - if it would somehow manage to get into the chamber. So use caution when there might b any type of water anywhere near the camera - especially when changing lens'.

2. -And here is one which might in fact get quite a bit of criticism. I personally prefer to use Pentax' own lens brand whenever practical - unless they in fact have a type of range that might not be covered. The build quality of the lens structure, and also the physical outteer diameter mounting of the elements is quite critical. I have noticed other third party lens' (for now going unnamed) that might basically allow more "dust or debris" to get through the lens.

3. Operating enviroment of the camera. One is not going to want to operate the K-01 (or most other quality cameras) in an area such as a farm, construction site - or perhaps even a beach area or other area where there is sand.
04-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
because it fits in the smaller, differently-shaped body
Well, Q's body is much smaller than K-01's yet the new dust reduction system fits in just fine??
04-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Shutter is also closed at rest with a dslr.
Doh.

Adam wrote in his review that the K-01 double cycles its shutter - open-close / open-close. I got confused.
04-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Make sure you turn the camera off when switching lenses, as the sensor is always exposed in live view.

04-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #9
Lens Buying Addict

Well, Q's body is much smaller than K-01's yet the new dust reduction system fits in just fine??
Here's a thread linking a looong Japanese interview on the K-01 design with Pentax engineers about the interior of the K-01. It explains the rationale for using the old system (magnet location is the key). Post #3 is a Google Translate link to the interview.

Scroll down to this image.

Although I don't know it, I suspect the Q uses a uniquely-designed dust removal mechanism. The APSc mechanism would be overkill for that sensor and I think would itself be physically larger than the Q body. The K-5 SR mechanism is pictured right next to this one in the interview.
04-06-2012, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No dust on mine. In fact, I never had problems with my K20D or K5 either, so to me the dust reduction system must be working. I'm not overly concerned about where or how I change lenses, either. I change in the field all the time.

Worry less. Shoot more.
04-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The sensor has an anti-static coating so if there is dust it's very easy to remove because it doesn't stick.
Don't worry too much about, if you see dust simply clean it.