Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I've posted many pictures here and on Flickr using the K-01 and the Pen taken in Texas in the middle of bright sunny days. For me, it's not a problem. For others, I guess they don't agree. I don't disagree with people that can't/don't like using an LCD only. I take exception to the people that state categorically that it's useless in bright light when many, many people (myself included) have shown that it can be used in bright light. Whether or not someone prefers to use it is a valid point.
My feelings come from my GF1 after I first bought it w/o EVF. I went on a company trip to Germany and thought to take my new very light with small lenses setup instead of my Oly E-5 plus big zooms at the time. It was brutal during some very bright days. I really struggled to frame the images I wanted let alone see what was there. Came back and bought the EVF and have carried it with it till iI just gave the whole setup to my daughter. The resulting images where quite good and surprisingly detailed for such a small sensor. Of course, the GF1 did not have a brightness adjustment and was several generations back in LCD technology and size, so my outlook may be dated. This may require a trip to photo nirvana, B&H, for a first hand look see.

04-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No Ads

I assume you guys never used a pay cable/satellite channel like HBO or Showtime? No advertising... How do they pay for it... get it? Are they pompous for requiring a fee for their service? Are you pompous for asking for pay for your own work?

With Sean Reid... no tiresome ads. Instead you get the meat of the info and good writing.

Parallax said:
I've never seen a shortage of free opinions on the internet about ANYTHING. Does anybody know why he thinks his opinion is so special that people should pay for it?
Seems a bit pompous, but that's just my opinion. (That will 10 cents, please.)

Jim said:
I've never seen a shortage of free opinions on the internet about ANYTHING. Does anybody know why he thinks his opinion is so special that people should pay for it?
Seems a bit pompous, but that's just my opinion. (That will 10 cents, please.)
My thoughts, too. I was wondering why I'd never heard of this guy, and then I saw he charged for the info, and then I understood.
04-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
My feelings come from my GF1 after I first bought it w/o EVF. I went on a company trip to Germany and thought to take my new very light with small lenses setup instead of my Oly E-5 plus big zooms at the time. It was brutal during some very bright days. I really struggled to frame the images I wanted let alone see what was there. Came back and bought the EVF and have carried it with it till iI just gave the whole setup to my daughter. The resulting images where quite good and surprisingly detailed for such a small sensor. Of course, the GF1 did not have a brightness adjustment and was several generations back in LCD technology and size, so my outlook may be dated. This may require a trip to photo nirvana, B&H, for a first hand look see.
It may well not work for you, though I do think the LCD with focus peaking is pretty nice on the K-01. However, I use the original digital Pen (E-P1) and don't really have a problem with that viewfinder, so it may well be that our standards are different. I do think you should go try one out.
04-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I am with monochrome on this--dialing the brightness up made all the difference in the world with my K-01 (proud bumblebee!). And focus peaking is wonderful!

04-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sean Reid Update of K01 review

Looks like Sean Reid will be updating his K-01 review sometime soon. I'd like to know if anything really interesting or unusual pops up from his additional findings.

Last edited by solar1; 04-24-2012 at 09:00 PM.
04-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #21

Focus peaking sounds great. I'm interested in this camera to go with my zeiss manual focus lens.
04-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The worst LCD in bright light in my kit is my iPhone. My K-01 (set on maximum brightness) is quite useable with the sun directly behind me for both composing and focusing. The only issue I've had was the reflection from my white shirt after Easter Sunday services. I'm swiflty moving to a preference for Live View / Focus Peaking over a Viewfinder. It is easier for me to achieve focus where I want focus.
Does this preference extend to longer lenses? (no pun intended)

04-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Does this preference extend to longer lenses? (no pun intended)
I can't answer yet. I actually only can get an hour or so of shooting a couple times a week and perhaps half a day on the weekend. Some of that has been video.

I've done +800 clicks, which is huge for me in 6 weeks. Maybe 50 have been at 105, 25 at 135, 10 at 200. The rest fooling around with AF lenses and some serious walks with the FA35/2 and DA40.

I think everything is in how you hold the camera and lens pair. I really don't use much right hand pressure at all - everything is left hand, as the classic SLR grip. For a K200/2.5 at almost a Kilo that completely changes the grip to having the camera base on the base of my left palm - almost the wrist - and fingers on the focusing ring. That might be beyond my ability to steady things - that lens might require a three-point support, including the eyebrow above a VF.. Maybe just experimentation and practice. The K135 worked fine.

Everything about the 200 is supposition - informed, but supposition, nonetheless. But with my vision this is more fun than I've had since 2006 with a camera. Focus peaking is just awesome for me, long lens, short lens, sun, shade - doesn't matter. I wrote on another thread, "The damned thing actually makes me smile." I did watch the focus peaks move along the petals of a hibiscus and in and out the pistil with the 35/2 wide open - pretty awesome.

If I remember I'll try some shallow Dof on something in relief with the 200 to see if I can manage an artsy shot.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-24-2012 at 09:45 PM.
04-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I can't answer yet. I actually only can get an hour or so of shooting a couple times a week and perhaps half a day on the weekend. Some of that has been video.

I've done +800 clicks, which is huge for me in 6 weeks. Maybe 50 have been at 105, 25 at 135, 10 at 200. The rest fooling around with AF lenses and some serious walks with the FA35/2 and DA40.

I think everything is in how you hold the camera and lens pair. I really don't use much right hand pressure at all - everything is left hand, as the classic SLR grip. For a K200/2.5 at almost a Kilo that completely changes the grip to having the camera base on the base of my left palm - almost the wrist - and fingers on the focusing ring. That might be beyond my ability to steady things - that lens might require a three-point support, including the eyebrow above a VF.. Maybe just experimentation and practice. The K135 worked fine.

Everything about the 200 is supposition - informed, but supposition, nonetheless. But with my vision this is more fun than I've had since 2006 with a camera. Focus peaking is just awesome for me, long lens, short lens, sun, shade - doesn't matter. I wrote on another thread, "The damned thing actually makes me smile." I did watch the focus peaks move along the petals of a hibiscus and in and out the pistil with the 35/2 wide open - pretty awesome.

If I remember I'll try some shallow Dof on something in relief with the 200 to see if I can manage an artsy shot.
Thanks for that. It's a shame FP isn't already operating in the K-5 - I doubt that Pentax will add it in the current model though as it would probably stop a few potential up-graders from making a move.

Last edited by bossa; 04-25-2012 at 12:26 AM.