Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Reid review of K-01

I received email announcement that Sean Reid has reviewed the K-01 on his subscription only site. For a reviewer that mainly sticks to very high end equipment I'm curious as to why he chose to review k-01. I see that he has reviewed the K-5 earlier this year but have not subscribed since he reviewed the K10D some years ago. He has also extensive reviews of Ricoh system cameras and lenses/modules.

Perhaps that since Ricoh bought Pentax this puts Pentax back up on the interest level?

04-09-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
I received email announcement that Sean Reid has reviewed the K-01 on his subscription only site.
I've never seen a shortage of free opinions on the internet about ANYTHING. Does anybody know why he thinks his opinion is so special that people should pay for it?
Seems a bit pompous, but that's just my opinion. (That will 10 cents, please.)
04-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I've never seen a shortage of free opinions on the internet about ANYTHING. Does anybody know why he thinks his opinion is so special that people should pay for it?
Seems a bit pompous, but that's just my opinion. (That will 10 cents, please.)
My thoughts, too. I was wondering why I'd never heard of this guy, and then I saw he charged for the info, and then I understood.
04-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I subscribed to his site for a while for his reviews of rangefinder lenses which are well regarded in Leica circles. His comparative testing is very thorough and reliable. When you're thinking about paying thousands for a lens, Sean Reid's fee is a small price to pay to find out whether a cheaper Zeiss or Voigtländer option might do as well or better. It doesn't hurt that he also takes more than a passing interest in Pentax. I've always thought of him as one of photography's good guys.

04-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #5

So not wanting to pay to read the whole thing, but does anyone know what he said in a nutshell.
04-10-2012, 12:34 AM   #6

Sean Reid on K-01

As always with Sean, we have a very rigorous and precise analysis of the strengths - great IQ - and weaknesses - lack of EVF - of the K-01 by a real photographer. Sean suggests a great solution to the lack of EVF: use OVF adapted to focus and practice Zone Focussing, as with a good old Leica.

The subscription has a very low cost. In passing, a single "bad purchase" (lens or camera) avoided by reading Sean pays for decades of subscription.
Regarding Sean interest for Pentax brand it dates back to the Pentax K10D and has nothing to do with the recent acquisition by Ricoh.
04-10-2012, 03:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
My thoughts, too. I was wondering why I'd never heard of this guy, and then I saw he charged for the info, and then I understood.
I would bet there are hundreds of highly skilled photographers you have never heard of.

There are quite a few people who pay to read his tests, and not because they aren't aware of the plethora of "free opinions" out there. If you want the Steve Huff, Ken Rockwell etc take on gear, by all means, enjoy your freebie. But sometimes there is actually a good reason to pay for information. In addition to Reid Reviews I think DigiLloyd can be worth the fee.

04-10-2012, 04:24 AM   #8

+1 for LLoyd Chambers

Sean and LLoyd are very very different in their methods and approaches. They are ultimately perfectly complementary. A reservation about diglloyd: the annual cost is much higher because Lloyd splits his themes and each area is accessible with a specific subscription. Ultimately the quality is there in both.
04-10-2012, 04:30 AM   #9

Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by J-L SALVIGNOL Quote
As always with Sean, we have a very rigorous and precise analysis of the strengths - great IQ - and weaknesses - lack of EVF - of the K-01 by a real photographer. Sean suggests a great solution to the lack of EVF: use OVF adapted to focus and practice Zone Focussing, as with a good old Leica.

The subscription has a very low cost. In passing, a single "bad purchase" (lens or camera) avoided by reading Sean pays for decades of subscription.
Regarding Sean interest for Pentax brand it dates back to the Pentax K10D and has nothing to do with the recent acquisition by Ricoh.
Back in the day when I thought I would buy a M9 and some Leica and Zeiss glass, I was very close to getting both subscriptions. Then that moment of insanity left so I did not need them. I bought a K-5 plus a set of beautiful primes for a quarter of the price and never looked back.

I guess that really sums up the K-01 and is in line with most other reviews. Great IQ, no EVF or tiltable LCD. The shape is neither here nor there for me. I got used to the GF1 which is heading down to P&S territory so a somewhat heftier body would be welcome. Grip could be better and it appears the rubber body armor stains easily and is a bugger to clean. This may actually make it more theft proof as it will soon look like something not worth stealing. ;-)

Don't know what it is with Pentax MILCs and not having an EVF. Did some old codger run the initial meetings and berate the young whippersnappers for wanting a fancy shmancy EVF. It is the one thing holding me back from getting the camera. I have tried to use my K-5 in LV mode only and it is doable. Then I just take a peak through the OVF and it is like putting my glasses on in the morning. Everything is so clear and I can really see what I am creating rather than guessing. "Oh, there is a branch poking into the frame, let me move a little to the left." Things like this are very hard to pick out when the LCD is mostly washed out in bright sun light.

This is my impression of how it would be and maybe I am wrong. It just seems that way from my experiments with the K-5. I would love to know this is not true but some users have said as such. I have seen some great images created by some talented people but i must admit, most seem to from cloudy days. The sun shines a lot in New Jersey.
04-10-2012, 07:08 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
This is my impression of how it would be and maybe I am wrong. It just seems that way from my experiments with the K-5. I would love to know this is not true but some users have said as such. I have seen some great images created by some talented people but i must admit, most seem to from cloudy days. The sun shines a lot in New Jersey.
It shines pretty hot in Georgia, too.

04-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
I would bet there are hundreds of highly skilled photographers you have never heard of.

There are quite a few people who pay to read his tests, and not because they aren't aware of the plethora of "free opinions" out there. If you want the Steve Huff, Ken Rockwell etc take on gear, by all means, enjoy your freebie. But sometimes there is actually a good reason to pay for information. In addition to Reid Reviews I think DigiLloyd can be worth the fee.
Well said, and you're correct. There are plenty of great photographers I've never heard of. Luckily, I've figured out what I like and don't like, and can filter enough of the free reviews to figure out where to spend my money.

I'm guessing you spend your money there gauging by your response. I certainly meant no disrepect to you or any other paying members. It's just not attractive to me.
04-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
I would love to know this is not true but some users have said as such. I have seen some great images created by some talented people but i must admit, most seem to from cloudy days. The sun shines a lot in New Jersey.
I've posted many pictures here and on Flickr using the K-01 and the Pen taken in Texas in the middle of bright sunny days. For me, it's not a problem. For others, I guess they don't agree. I don't disagree with people that can't/don't like using an LCD only. I take exception to the people that state categorically that it's useless in bright light when many, many people (myself included) have shown that it can be used in bright light. Whether or not someone prefers to use it is a valid point.
04-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Yeah, I have yet to run across an LCD that is "useless" in any kind of light. The closest I've gotten was the one on a Sigma DP2 which looked quite washed out in bright sun, though was still perfectly useable for composing the image.
04-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Yeah, I have yet to run across an LCD that is "useless" in any kind of light. The closest I've gotten was the one on a Sigma DP2 which looked quite washed out in bright sun, though was still perfectly useable for composing the image.
The LCD on my old Kodak P&S was worthless outdoors whether the sun was out or not. But that was 10 years ago and that camera didn't have live view anyway...

Correction, it did have live view. I just never used it because you couldn't see the screen at all outdoors.

Last edited by boriscleto; 04-10-2012 at 02:40 PM.
04-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The worst LCD in bright light in my kit is my iPhone. My K-01 (set on maximum brightness) is quite useable with the sun directly behind me for both composing and focusing. The only issue I've had was the reflection from my white shirt after Easter Sunday services. I'm swiflty moving to a preference for Live View / Focus Peaking over a Viewfinder. It is easier for me to achieve focus where I want focus.