Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Are those filters useful in the AF process? Why are they present for the K-5 but not for the K-01?
Which AG process are you talking about? The Phase AF or Contrast AF. The K-5 has both, the K-01 AFAIK only uses Contrast AF through the main sensor as it's mirrorless.

04-11-2012, 05:50 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Like a 16mp crop of a D800E =p
The D800E has LPF but they have turned second filter around to cancel the effect of the first one.
04-11-2012, 06:01 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think I understand, but I probably have it wrong. If so Falk or somebody will fix this.
Phase Detect and Contrast detect are quite siimilar in the method of measurement. The PDAF algorithm, though, can anticipate the direction the focus should move and can even anticipate where focus will be for a moving subject whereas the CDAF algorithm seems to do neither.
They are very different actually.

CDAF simply looks at the contrast, it moves the focus one way if contrast decrease it knows it goes the wrong way so it focus the other way and when contrast gets higher and then lower then the peak is the sharpest point.

PDAF splits the image and it can measure the amount it's out of focus and if it's front focusing or back focusing, so it's a much more sophisticated system.
It's the way they work that makes the difference not the algorithm.

here you can see it in action.
Autofocus: phase detection

Autofocus: contrast detection
04-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #19
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Originally posted by AKum8 any comparison between K-5 and K-01 to prove the evidence? Quite a few people have been saying that the K-01 has been producing sharper shots than their k-5. Most were assuming that it was just the Prime-M engine. You can search around the forum, there are many K-01 owners who are of that opinion.

Add me to that list. I've extensively compared both the K-5 and the K-01. Outside of a few very minor issues; the K-01 frequently winds on the results.

Here are the minor issues listed.

1. Slower focusing with the K-01 than the K-5 with lens with; either a starting aperature of 4.5 - or ones that go below that range when zooming out to telephoto. With lens' below this range (and other certain circumstances) it may either take longer time to get a correct lock on - which is easy to adapt to. Just a minor consideration with lens' that don't have optimal aperatures.

2. Flash sync in higher lighting conditions. This may presently be beyond the bult in fill flash, but... Can be adapted to with an off camera flash, or with filters - or in some instances "in camera". But it is also frequently able to be corrected.

Conclusion. The K-01 is much like a K-5 but without the pentaprism. I also really like the focus peaking.

04-11-2012, 11:56 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Conclusion. The K-01 is much like a K-5 but without the pentaprism. I also really like the focus peaking.
But it's missing speed though, 1fps with RAW is nothing...
That's the point that really breaks it for me and no HDMI out during video.
Just those minor points where you wished Pentax put just a bit more care in
04-12-2012, 12:33 AM   #21
Veteran Member

i'd like to see someone get a replacement k-01 aa filter and install it in a k-5.
04-12-2012, 02:46 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maltfalc Quote
i'd like to see someone get a replacement k-01 aa filter and install it in a k-5.
There is a reason why Nikon left the filters on with the D800E, look it up and you know why it isn't a good idea.

04-12-2012, 05:46 AM   #23
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
There is a reason why Nikon left the filters on with the D800E

I have yet to test either the Nikon D800 or D800e; but I have worked directly with one of the first people to have one in North america. This person is one of a very few artistic professionals that I consider better than myself - a true master of the art. She had difficulties producing the so called color moire patterns on either of the Nikons - I believe that the street term could also be called the "jaggies". I'll have to research it further to see if anyone owning either version of the Nikon has run into that issue.

But also the Nikon is a 3k++ camera body with about double the resolution sensor of any presently existing Pentax product. Double the resolution and double the price - plus the cost of the Nikon optics.

I also have (as far as I'm aware) yet to produce any of the ccolor moire patterns; and I've magnified as much as possible a great variety of images trying to look for it. Any ideas of how to better produce it to see the effect - even though it may not be a welcome effect?

My present (eerrr) frame counter on the K-01 is now up to about fifteen hundred - without any major issues that can be adapted to with some form of manual control. And due to the K-01 i'm beginning to run out of space on the gallery walls, have run through quite the number of ink cartridges, and have ex[anded my portfolios considerably.

The sub 1k price K-01 seems to hold it's own remarkeably well. I'm impressed. Now I know where I'll be spending my next 10k++ in photography gear
04-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Medium FormatPro what are you answering to, you're completely missing the point i believe.
Like has been said leaving the filters out with the K-01 is no problem but with the K5 you're using another way of focusing.
10-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #25

Photos: Gallery | Albums
is it the k30 also has 1 low pass filter as the k01?
10-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by legiman Quote
is it the k30 also has 1 low pass filter as the k01?
Does it matter?

Just look at the sample photos, i'm sure no one will say they arent sharp enough.