Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
CNET Review

Here: Pentax K-01 Review - Digital cameras - CNET Reviews

The author tried to put on a positive spin, but the bottom line as I read it, is unless you already have a bunch of great K-mount lens look elsewhere if you think you want a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera.

04-09-2012, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Disappointing- Pentax seems to be relying too much on users with old lenses. They're not going to last forever!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Disappointing- Pentax seems to be relying too much on users with old lenses. They're not going to last forever!
I beg to differ - I am immortal~

Seems a fair review, and a relatively fair assessment of how a new user may view the camera. A new user may not tell the difference in picture quality from the K-01 and a M4/3 camera, but will surely notice the difference in size, quirks, AF, and looks.

I still think the K-01 is damn good as a camera, though.
04-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm delighted to see the K-01 held as if it is an SLR! The form and mass not only demand two hands, they permit two hands.

04-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The way I see it, is that Pentax have taken their usual thinking outside the box view of the CSC market, As they did with the Q.

The K-01 has a lot going for it, and Pentax has taken the best bits from CSC, to put into their own version.
Positives
K-mount - Well Pentax have a very fine range of current and legacy lenses, which lend themselves to any camera. Why create a new mount when you have such a strong existing mount?
Unique look - Again, when you are going down the CSC route, you want to have something that stands out. Love it or hate it looks (I love it), yet meets the needs of CSC users.
Live View - This has a far better live view over the Pentax DSR's, but It had to, to rival other CSC's. Also, for Landscape togs, this will be a boon.
Video - again far better than K-5 and K-r (in useability, rather than IQ) but again CSC has that feature that is more useable than DSLR's

Downsides
Having used the K-mount, it is far bigger than other CSC's
Those looks
People don't get it, and would rather have some skinny NEX that is not user friendly and has poor lenses (compared to K-primes) but at least it looks good...........
04-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm delighted to see the K-01 held as if it is an SLR! The form and mass not only demand two hands, they permit two hands.
When I was holding it in store, it felt so weird and uncomfortable to hold it with each hand on either side. SLR grip or single hand grip was fine.

But SLR grip isn't so natural to people - especially those upgrading from P&S
04-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well, at least they gave it a fair review. Any press is better than no press, they say.

Last edited by Docrwm; 04-09-2012 at 01:06 PM.
04-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
When I was holding it in store, it felt so weird and uncomfortable to hold it with each hand on either side. SLR grip or single hand grip was fine.

But SLR grip isn't so natural to people - especially those upgrading from P&S
I guess it is more natural to older fo,lks like me who learned to hold a camera by reading the instructions in a Pentax SLR camera manual - and just haven't changed holding them that way (SLR grip). I'm convinced this is a camera intended for the ageing baby boom, whose vision degrades on a daily basis (focus peaking inmplementation).

04-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I guess it is more natural to older fo,lks like me who learned to hold a camera by reading the instructions in a Pentax SLR camera manual - and just haven't changed holding them that way (SLR grip). I'm convinced this is a camera intended for the ageing baby boom, whose vision degrades on a daily basis (focus peaking inmplementation).
Pah, you folks are on the way out anyways.. time for us youngin's to take over with our iPhone hand grips and our skateboard videos.
04-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

With Instagram on our side, the era of Phonetography is on the rise.
Roll over, Ancients!
04-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RickyFromVegas Quote
Roll over, Ancients!
Facebook just paid $1 Billion for Instagram
04-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Pah, you folks are on the way out anyways.. time for us youngin's to take over with our iPhone hand grips and our skateboard videos.
Except there are 40,000,000 more babyboomers than there normally should be - and since we're old, we have money. In fact, we have half the money.

Roll over, Ancients!
You did have Instagram - they got bought by Facebook today for $1billion. Bwwaaaahahahah

Instagram October, 2010 to April, 2012 - Zero to a Billion. 25 employees.
CEO Systrom owns 40 percent of the company, according to a source close to the company. That will net him $400 million to take home as a result of the deal. Co-founder Mike Krieger holds about a 10 percent stake, will will net around $100 million. Benchmark Capital, the venture capital firm which led Instagram’s Series A funding round in 2011, has about an 18 percent stake, netting roughly $180 million from the deal. Andreessen Horowitz and Baseline Ventures, two investment firms backing Instagram, each have about a 10 percent stake, netting just under $100 million apiece.
The rest of the companies 13 full-time employees will each get a portion of a nearly $100 million pool, with specific amounts awarded by how long the employee has worked at Instagram.
04-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

You are aware that the most of Instagram users are also Facebook users as well?
And Instagram will still be Instagram, as YouTube is still YouTube, not Google.
04-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

You are aware that the most of Instagram users are also Facebook users as well?
And Instagram will still be Instagram, as YouTube is still YouTube, not Google.
Yes, I am aware. I use all of them, too.

Google tracks your YouTube views and manages what it shows you based on their algorithm. What happens when they just refuse to let a person see something they don't think he should see? Google isn't as bad as Facebook, though. Facebook will need to generate revenue from the Instagram feed somehow - likely by advertising into the data flow generated when you use IGram. Just another security setting to keep up with in FB. They have more hands than I have pockets - and they have the pockets of 800,000,000 users.

IGram was the un-Twittier Twitter - what now?
04-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

In general, I can agree with her assessment, though I don't agree about the AF performance or the DA40XS fringing. The AF seems decent to me, though I can occasionally get some hunting. The DA40XS is a really nice lens, though. Much better than any other "kit" lens, and I found it pretty much the equal to the DA40 Ltd.

One other complaint I disagree with is the LCD in bright sunlight. It's obviously not the best, but framing is just not that hard with the camera, regardless of the light. I've shot many times in the middle of the day without real problems. Yeah, it's not the best, but no LCD is. Yet somehow, millions of people seem to make it work each day (LCDs, not K-01's).

All in all, though, I can see that someone might not buy this when compared to a Pen, or something a little smaller.