Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #1

K-01 in Brazil - A Mini Review

Hi folks,

My K-01 arrived last week and this past weekend, me, my wife and my sister-in-law went to an outdoor museum and just spent the day taking photos with it and our K-r. While I still need much more time with it before considering making a full review, I thought I just post at least a mini review, to help a bit others as I've been helped in this forum. Anyways the pictures I included in this thread are just 100% crops with no PP and jpeg export with width limit. Oh yeah, those are just my pictures, I'm not including the ones taken from my wife and sister-in-law so they don't complain that I took credit for it
First impressions:

It's boxy (my wife's words)
It's modern (my mother words)
It's a good size (my other sister-in-law word)
How's this LCD gonna hold up in bright sun light?
The grip is a bit different
Focus peaking is awesome!!

Let me say this again: focus peaking is awesome. All these pictures were taken with MF on a DF-A Macro 100mm. I took all my pictures with the K-01 on MF. It's simply so easy and fun. It gives you a greater control but focus peaking keeps the keep ratio high. I said this even after testing it with my 50mm f1.2 wide open, which with my K-r I was getting such low keep ratio I was thinking of selling it. No more

The thing is after we went out and just took pictures, everything just melted away. We composed pictures with the LCD on bright light (and Brazil is a tropical country and this was a bright and hot day) despite a couple times that I went for the VF (old habits...), the grip was just fine and as Pentaxians we were different regardless of design

What is clear already is that the sensor is a step up from the K-r, specially when pushing the ISO, but I still love my K-r and I think that the K-01 complements it well. Having a second body is also great for when we go on these shooting days. But the K-01 with a our 40mm or the 21mm is also a size small enough to stay at my wife's purse so when can stop losing great pictures just because we didn't have our camera at the moment. No more cell phone pictures

I'll post more as I use it, but so far I'm very happy with my purchase. I really recommend folks that reject it to take a closer look. It does what it was made for very well: take great pictures. Well it can take great pictures, I still got a long way before I can take a great picture, because as you know cameras are tools, they still require photographers

Cheers

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
04-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good to hear that it works with even the 50 F1.2! A few people were asking around for opinions with that lens.
04-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #3

Luiz,
I am very interested in your sense of the LCD in bright light. Was it very useable, OK, or a less usable but still worked. Think about is a let me know. To say it works in bright light really does not say how well it works in bright light. I have some great pictures from my GF1 that were done in bright light and no EVF but it was a real challenge to get a sense of the framing and composition but i could do it. Came home and bought the appropriate EVF before I used the camera again. So please elaborate, if you desire. Thanks, Dave
04-11-2012, 06:10 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
Luiz,
I am very interested in your sense of the LCD in bright light. Was it very useable, OK, or a less usable but still worked. Think about is a let me know. To say it works in bright light really does not say how well it works in bright light. I have some great pictures from my GF1 that were done in bright light and no EVF but it was a real challenge to get a sense of the framing and composition but i could do it. Came home and bought the appropriate EVF before I used the camera again. So please elaborate, if you desire. Thanks, Dave
Dave,

Let me test a few more times before I can give you a definitive answer. We have no shortness of bright days in Brazil, so don't worry it won't take long But I'll be sure to post more impressions of it in this thread.
But as I said, once I went out and took shots I just forgot about it. I had fun trying a broader use of the 100mm macro by taking landscape and portraits with it, which I never do, and this lens can do quite well. It's more flexible than I imagined. I had no problems with framing and composition. I still need to improve a lot in this area, but that's my own limitation not the camera's.

I believe that if my thoughts were concentrated on which pictures to take and framing/composition of then, means I wasn't thinking about the LCD because it wasn't bothering me or limiting my shots. I was more focused on the shots than on the camera itself.

04-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice to see your having this nice camera. How is it to purchase Pentax in Brasil? Is it in stores overthere? Which color K-01 did you get?
04-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #6

Original Poster
Well most of my Pentax gear I got from US by special free shipping Which means family and friends that went to the US for various reasons. I got some from eBay and also from the local equivalent of it. Official gear in Brazil is really overpriced (for all brands) so I took this route. But anyways you don't usually find pentax gear on the stores, just mostly nikon/canon/sony.