Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2012, 07:08 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I may be a masochist for reading Rice High's blog, but.. (K-01 review and Q news)

His impressions of the K-01 aren't so bad - considering how he really did not like the camera prior! My favorite comment of his:

QuoteQuote:
5. The mode dial above the chimney is magical! It is more easy to access and turn and indeed the new position is better! What a design! Now, I know that it is not only about anaesthetics, but Pentax really thought about ergonomics!
I didn't want to start a separate thread because I am lazy so... it looks like there's a big price cut of the Q in Hong Kong? I wonder if that will translate over to here...

I like reading his blog; some people call him the Pentax hater nowadays, but he's not so bad

It'd be nice if we didn't have just a "Pentax DSLR forum" and it was a "Pentax camera forum" so I could just post this there

Last edited by Blue; 10-10-2012 at 07:33 PM.
04-12-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter

"Anaesthetics"? Did he mean Anesthetics meaning to reduce sensitivity to pain or did he mean Aesthetics meaning a set of principles concerned with the appreciation of beauty.
04-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like RiceHigh. He's on our side without having to toe the official Pentax line. All of these *other* Pentax cameras are fine, but it's a question of missteps and priorities. I think he understands Pentax needs to address core competencies before they do stuff like the Q or K-01. I want a Full Frame camera from Pentax, and I've been waiting since the MZ-D. Until Pentax fixes that egregious error, he and others like him (me) will be called "Pentax Haters", but nothing could be further from the truth.
04-12-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I love the way he mangles the English language with sometimes very funny results. The problem that I have with him in general has to do with his bipolar tendencies. The newest product is either amazing or awful and he has a great tendency to go from one extreme to the other at a moment's notice. The reality is that few products are either truly amazing or completely horrible, they are just in the middle -- not that different from similar products from Canon/Nikon.

04-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
He can be quite polarized, but I don't really think of him as a Pentax hater. Just a disgruntled Pentax user.

But I do appreciate that he sometimes has news that I haven't seen on this forum.
04-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I find his blog informative and entertaining. Sometimes it's nice to get a more definitive (black and white) opinion rather than an evaluation with no real understanding of what that person really thinks. I don't see hater at all, but actually a strong Pentax supporter who speaks for a lot of us.

I also don't think it's too uncommon for a person to change their point of view about a product or idea. I know I've reversed my opinion about a lot of things, or at least softened my firm stance on something, which I can attribute to the many excellent view points from this forum's participants.

Anyway, it's good to have passionate Pentaxians giving their findings, thoughts, photos and jokes.....It keeps things interesting.

Cheers,

Kid
04-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
Site Supporter

He is very predictable. We saw him go through the same cycles here at the pentax forum (before he was excommunicated for repeatedly breaking the forum rules): first he gets himself so steamed up on a product when it is announced, then he likes it quite a lot, then he doesn't like it, then he hates it, and then he conclude Pentax is doomed. Now, he ain't the only one going through these cycles, but he certainly was one of the worst cases. His blog? Haven't visited it for ages.
04-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
He is very predictable. We saw him go through the same cycles here at the pentax forum (before he was excommunicated for repeatedly breaking the forum rules): first he gets himself so steamed up on a product when it is announced, then he likes it quite a lot, then he doesn't like it, then he hates it, and then he conclude Pentax is doomed. Now, he ain't the only one going through these cycles, but he certainly was one of the worst cases. His blog? Haven't visited it for ages.

Ha! I wasn't aware of all that....It's nice to know I'm not the only bi-polar Pentaxian among us. However, I really have no intention of being excommunicated by breaking any rules. My biggest crime is making points that contradict one another, and taking a page and a half to write it. For any of you that have suffered through one of my rants, please forgive me. I guess it's just because I'm so conflicted by the love/hate relationship I often have with Pentax.

The good thing is, at the end of the day, my K-5 is great, and I'm happy with it, so it's all good.

04-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #9
D0n
Banned

I do not mind when he takes his OCD issues and applies them towards researching and publishing actual facts.. his attention to details and obsessions with learning everything there is to know about the products does make it worthwhile to skim through his site. Credit where credit is due.

His personal opinions on the other hand, and general negativity towards the company and it's products reflect poorly on him.

In fact I'd go so far as to state that he sometimes has his head so far up his a$$ that I'd like to hand him some laxitives just so I could watch him drown in his own crap.
But that's just me... your opinions may vary.
04-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Merci" for the "FYI" ...

Bonjour Douglas,

Thanks ... I haven't read anything here yet, but now I'm curious to see ... I go through cycles, too, but it's because of my various "meds" ...

Salut, J Frog
04-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

For me, photography is the broad church that I worship, not Pentax in particular. Heck, Pentax is lacking in plenty of ways, but you get what you pay for, it's just a brand out to make shekels, nothing magical about it. I'm here not because I worship Pentax but because I've bought into the system and want to get the most out of it by sharing information about the system with other people seeking the same! His stuff is pretty interesting as is stuff by other people who sometimes upset the Pentax applecart. Whether or not I read them depends on whether they have something useful to contribute and whether they present the information professionally (ie without letting emotion and/or their personality be a factor). I personally find brand fan boys just as odious as brand haters - but it's largely the manner in which they conduct themselves towards other people that I judge them by.

In a sense that's also how I think about being a member of a forum, it's like the houseguest rule I used to run a multiplayer game by. Ie participation is largely like being a houseguest in my house, if you do and say things either to me or towards other people (ie my other invited friends) that's deliberately odious, aggressive, unpleasant etc, well your invite to come back to my house might suddenly be ended. Which as far as I'm concerned is a fairly sane and reasonable manner in which to conduct yourself, myself included!
04-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Ditto" ... see "Blazing Saddles"

QuoteOriginally posted by oklahomakid93 Quote
Ha! I wasn't aware of all that....It's nice to know I'm not the only bi-polar Pentaxian among us. However, I really have no intention of being excommunicated by breaking any rules. My biggest crime is making points that contradict one another, and taking a page and a half to write it. For any of you that have suffered through one of my rants, please forgive me. I guess it's just because I'm so conflicted by the love/hate relationship I often have with Pentax.

The good thing is, at the end of the day, my K-5 is great, and I'm happy with it, so it's all good.
Ah oui,

Well said ... proud to be a fellow Okie ... Boomer!

PS - Please notice that my new avatar is a French donkey ... c'est fait exprès!

Salut mes amis "bi-polar", J Frog
04-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Now, he ain't the only one going through these cycles, but he certainly was one of the worst cases.
Hmmm..
04-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Ah oui,

Well said ... proud to be a fellow Okie ... Boomer!

PS - Please notice that my new avatar is a French donkey ... c'est fait exprès!

Salut mes amis "bi-polar", J Frog
Heureux je ne suis pas le seul fou guy ici!

Well, I can't blame my brain taking trips to Mars more often than it should on the dust storms in Oklahoma. I believe I was bananas at birth.

Sooner!
04-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
For me, photography is the broad church that I worship, not Pentax in particular. Heck, Pentax is lacking in plenty of ways, but you get what you pay for, it's just a brand out to make shekels, nothing magical about it. I'm here not because I worship Pentax but because I've bought into the system and want to get the most out of it by sharing information about the system with other people seeking the same! His stuff is pretty interesting as is stuff by other people who sometimes upset the Pentax applecart. Whether or not I read them depends on whether they have something useful to contribute and whether they present the information professionally (ie without letting emotion and/or their personality be a factor). I personally find brand fan boys just as odious as brand haters - but it's largely the manner in which they conduct themselves towards other people that I judge them by.

In a sense that's also how I think about being a member of a forum, it's like the houseguest rule I used to run a multiplayer game by. Ie participation is largely like being a houseguest in my house, if you do and say things either to me or towards other people (ie my other invited friends) that's deliberately odious, aggressive, unpleasant etc, well your invite to come back to my house might suddenly be ended. Which as far as I'm concerned is a fairly sane and reasonable manner in which to conduct yourself, myself included!

I also enjoy open discussions, and welcome the many different view points held by the people on here, but the fun is taken out of it when people take something too seriously and start making their comments personal. No need for that.

I'm sure in England your soccer (oops...sorry, I mean Football) fans can get worked up too. It's just as bad here. From college and pro football, to elderly men getting in a fist fight with one another at a kidney dialysis clinic in Kentucky just days before Kentucky and Louisville played one another in the Final Four, it's a shame rational human beings can become so primal and out of control.

Anyway, I've had pretty good luck with interacting on this forum. Most of the folks are great to converse with.
Closed Thread