Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-15-2012, 06:27 AM   #1

Battery Issue?

Hi, I just had an issue with my K-01 and not sure what the problem is. The camera has been performing superbly for the last 3 weeks, but today it just died while I was taking photos. I had charged the battery overnight, so I thought I would have a full battery for a day of picture taking. I managed to take about 5 or so photos, and then it just stopped and turned off. I tried turning it back on, but to no avail. So, missed out on some good photos for the rest of the day.

When I came back, I thought I would try charging the battery again, and put it in the charger, it was green for about 30mins, and then the green light went off, indicating it was at full charge. I put the battery back in the camera and.... The camera worked! I thought great should be ok.... But as I was taking some photos again, the camera turned off and I couldn't turn it back on again.....

Any idea what is going on? I know it is still under warranty, but what is annoying is that I am traveling tomorrow, and was hoping to bring the camera along.... I was thinking of just getting another battery to see if this would work, but do you think it is something more than the battery? Any thoughts would be appreciated?

04-15-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
Was the camera purchased n Singapore?
04-15-2012, 07:14 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yes, in Singapore. Do you think it's a battery issue?
04-15-2012, 07:22 AM   #4
Banned

Well I've never personally heard of a Pentax issues such as this one, but to narrow it down a bit...

Does the screen on the K-01 show a full battery upon just installing it? Does the battery meter "click-down" going to either yellow or red?

I would also recheck (ensuring it's completely unplugged) all of the "silver" terminals on the charger; so that they are completely clean and also have their spring action to them. It's amazing how one spec of something can cause an issue on that one.

Also noting... I have "heard of" various tourists and people on mlitary/diplomatic duty that do purchase chargers and/or batteries in that general region (but not yet in Singapore) where they have instances of either; the voltage adapting to different outlets, or adapter issues, or even in some cases reliable power supply (ie-wall outlet) issues.

04-15-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Don't know?

I had the same issue but differnt cam about 6 years ago. That trained me to only use cams that run on 4 AA's. Now I never have that problem again. I don't have to have a dozen different chargers for all sort of crap.
I boycott any dslr camera company not running on 4AA's. Nikon lost $24,000 in biz from me for that reason or I'd be shooting D800's.

Pentax too lost my biz. Will never buy their high mp dslrs if they don't run on 4 AA's.

If it wont run on AA's...no way...no how...it is that simple.
04-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #6

Original Poster
So, I tried again to charge the battery. Camera seems to work fine and battery meter shows full. I can do playback settings and everything, but when I try to take a picture it just dies and then I can't use it anymore.
04-15-2012, 08:08 AM   #7

Original Poster
Also just tried this - put battery in charger, when charging, take battery out and back into camera. Camera starts up and works. Half press for AF, no problem until I full press to take the picture... Then the camera fails... Can't start up again until I put the battery in the charger.

04-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't think this is a battery issue. When the camera crashes, if you take the battery out for a couple seconds, and then put it back in, does it start up again?

I'm thinking there could be a fault in the shutter release button, or it could be just about any other issue with the camera's internal circuitry. I think you'll likely have to have it serviced.
04-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aardvarkgeo Quote
I can do playback settings and everything,
Sounds more like a camera problem rather than a battery problem. Do you have a spare battery to test? You might check the contacts on the battery and in the camera to make sure they are in good shape. If you can show the fault occurs with two different batteries then I think it is the camera.

The other thing, never heard of it on K-01 though, is sometimes the shutter release button gets wonky. Try turning the camera off and firmly exercising the shutter release button a dozen times or so. Then turn it back on and try taking a picture.
04-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
I don't think this is a battery issue. When the camera crashes, if you take the battery out for a couple seconds, and then put it back in, does it start up again?

I'm thinking there could be a fault in the shutter release button, or it could be just about any other issue with the camera's internal circuitry. I think you'll likely have to have it serviced.
No, for some reason it doesn't start up again until I put the battery into the charger - I was afraid I would have to take it in.... how am I going to survive without my camera... I went and sold my K100D already!
04-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #11
Banned

I'm still a bit sadly suprised myself. One would think that it (the K-01) would generate some kind of error code.

Based on what I'm perceiving from the data so far... It does not in fact appear to be the battery, because of being able to view pics - yet before attempting to take a pic. It's unfortunate that it would appear as though most digital camras do not have good "on-board" diagnostics - or (like automobiles) they can be plugged in to frequently tell you what ills them.
04-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aardvarkgeo Quote
No, for some reason it doesn't start up again until I put the battery into the charger
OK, can you test what happens if you remove the battery after it crashes, and leave it out for, IDK, 20-30 minutes? Or, however long you usually charged it. Perhaps the camera needs longer to normalize or cool down after a crash.

Also, how long can you leave the camera on and review pics? Or, for that matter, how long can you keep it on in shooting mode? Both of these utilize the LCD, and the latter puts the SR, metering and AF systems to work, as well. If it were a battery issue, this should crash it within minutes, too. The act of taking the picture doesn't normally cause a huge drain compared to normal operation (which is why some of us think it's a short somewhere).

I realize none of this helps you fix it, just trying to think of ways you can further troubleshoot.
04-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #13

Original Poster
The camera stays on until I press the shutter release. I can review pics, watch video, settings etc... But as soon as I press the shutter release it goes, no warning or anything. I am going on a 2 day business trip to HK, but as soon as I am back this is going in for servicing/repair. I have to say I am slightly disappointed, as I have owned many cameras, and maybe I have been lucky, but I have never had any issues with any of them. I was liking this camera so much I went and sold everything else off. Let's hope it is just an isolated case and that no one else has this, as I would hate for this to happen on a holiday vacation, or when I really needed it to take some pics.
04-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I don't blame you for being disappointed. I think in your position I'd be downright pissed off. It sounds like a short in the shutter release, to me, but that's just a guess. Definitely get it serviced. I really can't think of anything you can do for it.
04-16-2012, 01:18 AM   #15
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
It sounds like a short in the shutter release, to me, but that's just a guess. Definitely get it serviced. I really can't think of anything you can do for it.
+1 this is what I think too. Just plain bad luck I guess.