Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Forum Member

Opinions on Pentax K-01 before I take the plunge.

Just wanted to please get input from owners of the Pentax K-01 before I commit to the purchase. I currently live in Japan and went to the local camera shop and got my hands on the Pentax K-01. My first impressions, I like the heft and how it feels in my hands (I have big hands). I snapped a few shots and liked the overall color tone of the camera. I guess my questions are:

How does it perform out and about (can anyone post pics so I can see the quality)?

Also, what color body seems to be the most sought after?

Finally, how is it to lug around on all day photo excursions?

If these questions have been asked before, please forgive me for asking again.

Any and all input would be deeply appreciated.

Basically I want a camera not as big as a full size DSLR, but has comparable picture quality (I know, this is asking allot). I mostly take family shots and love close up macro photography.

Thanks and may God bless.

Ed

04-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The image quality is really close to that of the K-5. The K-01 loses a few points for dynamic range because it doesn't support 14-bit RAW files, but that's about it. For some samples, see our in-depth review:

Pentax K-01 Camera Review - Review Introduction - PentaxForums.com

As far as colors go, I'd say pick the black version.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry, I don't have a K-01 but I think the most sought after color is white.
04-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have looked and tried the Sony A57. it will give canon and nikon a run for the money. Pentax has no choice but be different when up against these new low cost interchangeable lens cameras. Not to mention it has 10fps burst and flip lcd.

if no hurry, wait.

04-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi: I'm very impressed with my Black copy (which is black with silver accents), especially the focus peaking, which suits my personal needs better then a dSLR viewfinder. As is usually the case, lugging the camera around isn't such a big deal - its everything else in the bag. If you take only 40XS or the three DA Limited pancake lenses (21, 40, 70) and the K-01 you have a small, versatile and carry-able system for the day.

Coming from a K10D image quality is quite good. Here is the "Post your K-01 Photos" thread for your review.
04-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Moving to the K-01 forum.
04-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ronin67 Quote
Just wanted to please get input from owners of the Pentax K-01 before I commit to the purchase. I currently live in Japan and went to the local camera shop and got my hands on the Pentax K-01. My first impressions, I like the heft and how it feels in my hands (I have big hands). I snapped a few shots and liked the overall color tone of the camera. I guess my questions are:

How does it perform out and about (can anyone post pics so I can see the quality)?
I am completely pleased with the K-01's image output.... stunning IQ and the raw files are really flexible in processing. Following is my Flickr link... my recent images are mostly taken with the K-01 (with either the DA 15mm or FA 31), starting when I got the camera on March 17. I hope it gives you an idea what the camera is capable of, but please keep in mind that I am a pretty new photographer and I think someone with more experience/skill could get much better IQ.

Flickr: krugorg's Photostream

I went with black, but I like it for the camera to not draw attention. I think it looks great with the Limited lenses... especially looks great with the silver limited lenses, imo, but unfortunately, all mine are black.

Finally, how is it to lug around on all day photo excursions?
I think it is manageable with the limited primes. I would not want to go anything larger than a FA31, but I am a micro four thirds user, so maybe my threshold for pain is lower!

If these questions have been asked before, please forgive me for asking again.

Any and all input would be deeply appreciated.

Basically I want a camera not as big as a full size DSLR, but has comparable picture quality (I know, this is asking allot). I mostly take family shots and love close up macro photography.
The only hesitation I would have for recommending the K-01 is if you need to keep up with fast moving children. I think the K-01 AF is okay and operation speed is decent, but it not close to the performance of the latest micro four thirds cameras (or DSLR) in these areas. I still am using my E-P3 for family shots, indoors, candids, and where I want an even smaller sized kit.
04-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krugorg Quote
I am completely pleased with the K-01's image output.... stunning IQ and the raw files are really flexible in processing. Following is my Flickr link... my recent images are mostly taken with the K-01 (with either the DA 15mm or FA 31), starting when I got the camera on March 17. I hope it gives you an idea what the camera is capable of, but please keep in mind that I am a pretty new photographer and I think someone with more experience/skill could get much better IQ.

Flickr: krugorg's Photostream

I went with black, but I like it for the camera to not draw attention. I think it looks great with the Limited lenses... especially looks great with the silver limited lenses, imo, but unfortunately, all mine are black.

I think it is manageable with the limited primes. I would not want to go anything larger than a FA31, but I am a micro four thirds user, so maybe my threshold for pain is lower!

The only hesitation I would have for recommending the K-01 is if you need to keep up with fast moving children. I think the K-01 AF is okay and operation speed is decent, but it not close to the performance of the latest micro four thirds cameras (or DSLR) in these areas. I still am using my E-P3 for family shots, indoors, candids, and where I want an even smaller sized kit.
Thank you for your Flickr link. Some very nice photos. They are all with the Pentax K-01?

Ed

04-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Search through the K-01 forum here. You'll find all your questions answered, plus plenty of example photos.
04-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Search through the K-01 forum here. You'll find all your questions answered, plus plenty of example photos.
Thanks
04-17-2012, 12:53 AM   #11
Pentaxian

You should buy the color off your own liknings, since you are the one using it.
04-17-2012, 01:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm still torn after K-01 and K-5.

I'm leaning towards K-01 because it is cheaper new, and I already have K20D.
I want to find a used K-5 at K-01's price range, but then again, K-01 is a shiny new toy that captivated my eyes with its design. I personally think K-5 is ugly ;p
But then again...K-5 is a stronger performer throughout...brrr...I don't know...so torn.
04-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #13
Site Supporter

RickyFromVegas, a 2nd hand K-5 bought here on the forum is on its way to me as I write this message. The main reason - K-5 does have slightly better dynamic range which is among the top things I value about the digital camera. With the likes of FA 43 the K-5 will be bigger than K-01 but not that bigger to warrant buying K-01. So now me and my daughter (who presently shoots with K-7) will have the same camera - can backup each other if necessary.
04-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #14
JPT
Pentaxian

I've had the camera for a few weeks. I got the black version, but I'm also curious to see which one is selling best. I think in terms of image quality, is the equal of any DSLR out there, so there is almost no compromise. As someone already mentioned, the main compromise is the autofocus.

For an excursion it is a pretty nice camera. The battery will last all day for me. It has a lower profile than a DSLR, so it will fit in a slimmer bag. When I take a small zoom and couple of small primes, my bag feels considerably lighter than with a DSLR. I honestly wouldn't recommend the K-01 if you see yourself using a lot of heavy zooms. It seems to defeat the point of the camera and the shallow grip starts to feel uncomfortable. For me, a lens under 300g is comfortable. My FA24-90 at 350g feels a bit too much.

By the way, are you based in Tokyo? I got mine at Fujiya Camera in Nakano for 44,800 body only. They still seem to have the same offer at the time of writing and their prices on the list are quite good too.
http://fujiyacamera.shop4.makeshop.jp/shopbrand/002/003/X
04-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I've had the camera for a few weeks. I got the black version, but I'm also curious to see which one is selling best. I think in terms of image quality, is the equal of any DSLR out there, so there is almost no compromise. As someone already mentioned, the main compromise is the autofocus.

For an excursion it is a pretty nice camera. The battery will last all day for me. It has a lower profile than a DSLR, so it will fit in a slimmer bag. When I take a small zoom and couple of small primes, my bag feels considerably lighter than with a DSLR. I honestly wouldn't recommend the K-01 if you see yourself using a lot of heavy zooms. It seems to defeat the point of the camera and the shallow grip starts to feel uncomfortable. For me, a lens under 300g is comfortable. My FA24-90 at 350g feels a bit too much.

By the way, are you based in Tokyo? I got mine at Fujiya Camera in Nakano for 44,800 body only. They still seem to have the same offer at the time of writing and their prices on the list are quite good too.
http://fujiyacamera.shop4.makeshop.jp/shopbrand/002/003/X
Thank you for the great explanation sir. Actually I live near Sagamihara. I was either going to get mine at Big Camera or Yamada Denki. However, I need to get the camera with a lens set, since I currently have no Pentax gear. My Spending limit is about 67,000 yen. Thanks for the link sir.

Ed